Thursday, October 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Re: Thursday, October 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Solaris was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Little Boy Blue, Tennis, Gilbert Stuart, Plate, Calvin Coolidge, Busch, Wikiwiki, Nihilistic, Koh-i-Noor, (Ringworld), Cigarettes, Tiffany's
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.4k games
Alpaca Farm: 1578 quizzes

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i see several regulars have never heard of larry niven's "ringworld."
some of you may remember paul legere, a/k/a paucle, a/k/a paull54, a/k/a bird0fprey, etc., etc.
paul and i were friends for many years, and one of the things we had in common was our love of science fiction. he liked "ringworld" a lot more than i did.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My only hesitation on FJ was thinking Hispaniola would be much closer to the U.S. than 600 miles. Cuba is right below Florida, and Hispaniola is next to Cuba, right? Those islands are bigger than my mental picture had them being! In any event, it was pretty much a WECIB?

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:38 am
Was Taft/Philippines done in a recent game show? Weakest Link? I swear I heard that connection very recently, but I blanked.
Do you play HQ Trivia? On last Friday's game they asked:

The only president to ever serve on the Supreme Court held governorship where?

Cuba
Haiti
Puerto Rico

The answer was:
Spoiler
Cuba

A Wray
Valued Contributor

Post by A Wray »

Was a sheriff in Erie County, New York; had a 4-year presidential hiatus, has a great first name for a Muppet
Except it wasn't his first name -- it was his middle name.

(Yes, technically this isn't an error, because Stephen might be "a great first name for a Muppet," but I think we know that's not what they meant.)

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I think the DVR got confused because last night's episode technically aired today (12:07 am), so it didn't pick up tonight's episode. If anyone happens to, well, you know, the "Private messages" link is at the top right of the page.
Sprinkles are for winners.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A Wray wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:01 am
Was a sheriff in Erie County, New York; had a 4-year presidential hiatus, has a great first name for a Muppet

(Yes, technically this isn't an error, because Stephen might be "a great first name for a Muppet," but I think we know that's not what they meant.)
The clue isn't necessarily saying that it's his first name.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:36 am
I think the DVR got confused because last night's episode technically aired today (12:07 am), so it didn't pick up tonight's episode. If anyone happens to, well, you know, the "Private messages" link is at the top right of the page.
the name of the show and XX/XX/XX does the trick at the right place

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:53 am
A Wray wrote:

Whose first name would it be, then?

In any event, for me this is a non-issue. A president's first name is taken from the name under which he was elected and served. Stephen Grover Cleveland's presidential first name was Grover. Hiram Ulysses Grant's first name was Ulysses (though either one works for a muppet). Thomas Woodrow Wilson's first name was Woodrow (also a good muppet name). John Calvin Coolidge's first name was Calvin (a decent muppet name). David Dwight Eisenhower's first name was Dwight (good muppet name), though in his case I believe that was also his legal first name by the time he ran; it just wasn't his name as originally given. And Leslie Lynch King Jr.'s first name was Gerald (gmn), though again I think that was also his legal first name by the time of the election.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:33 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:53 am
A Wray wrote:

Whose first name would it be, then?
The Muppet's.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ghostbusters (2016) (7), Fantastic Four (2015) (5), Star Trek Beyond (8)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not the first time we’ve seen Ruby Tuesday on here.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... by+Tuesday

I hated the Georgie Porgie nursery rhyme as a child. Still irritates me when I hear it. On a positive note, I used to work for the company that sponsors the NASCAR race mentioned in the Busch clue.

Another hint on the bottom presidents clue was that he went to West Point. Only two presidents went there and Ike was older than 46 when he took office.

Big help for me on FJ was that it said it was an island, not a country or an island country.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:23 pm
Big help for me on FJ was that it said it was an island, not a country or an island country.
That's why I said Puerto Rico (which is a little too far from the mainland, has millions fewer people, and has one too few official languages).

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,200
51 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Little Boy Blue, Gilbert Stuart, plate, Calvin Coolidge, Busch, wiki-wiki, nihilistic, cigarettes, Tiffany

FJ! felt a little WECIB to me, although I was not aware Haiti and the DR each have a population greater than 10 million. No other island within a thousand miles of the U.S. mainland is likely to have anywhere near that many people, though.

I can live with losing out on $400 by ringing in and not being able to pull Little Bo Peep out of my brain, but losing $4000 for spoonerizing Koh-I-Noor really hurts.
Sprinkles are for winners.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Fridays or Saturdays I do a week's worth of the J! calendar pages Mon-Sun to end with the FJ! clue. It was not until this morning I saw the page for October 8:

FRENCH-SPEAKING COUNTRIES $400: Its 10 million people all live on a third of a Caribbean island

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

theFJguy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:07 am
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE AMERICAS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Home to more than 20 million people & 3 different official languages, this island is about 600 miles from the continental U.S.
During the think music I recalled a clue from a few years ago ($800 in RECENT NONFICTION in this game) where "Haiti" was accepted as a correct response although the clue called for the name of the island (discussed here). I was half-hoping one of the contestants would write "Haiti" to see whether they follow the precedent from 2014. Probably not, given how strict the judging on FJ has been this season.

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Mathew5000 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:11 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:07 am
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE AMERICAS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Home to more than 20 million people & 3 different official languages, this island is about 600 miles from the continental U.S.
During the think music I recalled a clue from a few years ago ($800 in RECENT NONFICTION in this game) where "Haiti" was accepted as a correct response although the clue called for the name of the island (discussed here). I was half-hoping one of the contestants would write "Haiti" to see whether they follow the precedent from 2014. Probably not, given how strict the judging on FJ has been this season.
It should be noted that the 2014 clue asked for the island on which Alexandre Dumas's father was born, and so it seems appropriate to accept a historic name that may have been used at that time, whereas the population given in this FJ clue did not apply to the island until after the name "Haiti" was no longer in general use in English.

Also, here are some of the sources about the island's name that I meant to post back in 2014 but apparently never did (my apologies to opusthepenguin for that):
spoilerized for length
caribmap.org a map of the "Island of Haiti" from 1931

January 22, 1933 edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle (page A15):
Name Causes Confusion
At the time of Columbus' discovery, the island was inhabited by a race of peaceful, agricultural Indians, who called themselves "Arawaks."
A small number of them remained in the extreme northwest portion of Hispaniola, and the name they gave to their country was Haiti, This name was later adopted by the founders of the Negro republic, and since the Republic of Haiti, after its founding, occupied the whole of Hispaniola, the name "Haiti" still applies to the whole island. It is rather confusing when speaking of "Haiti" to differentiate between the republic or the whole island, and for that reason the original Spanish name "Hispaniola" would be preferable as a name for the island as a whole
August 11, 1933 edition of the Buffalo Courier-Express
Haiti Re-Christened on Charts
The re-christening of Haiti, now known to the world's geographers as Hispaniola, is made official at the branch hydrographic office of the U. S. navy here. Chief Signalman John W. Briggs makes the necessary changes on a chart.
HISPANIOLA IS NEW NAME FOR ANTILLES ISLE
The United States Navy Hydrographic office in the federal building, under the direction of Lieut. C. E. Wiencke, yesterday brought to light a correction that should have been made throughout the world a month and a half ago, by pointing out that the name of the Island of Haiti, the land which has been tamed by United States marines, no longer is known by that name, but now is called Hispaniola.
The change in name was made effective June 29th, but for some reason or other it has escaped the notice of the world, which has gone on calling the island Haiti, instead of Hispaniola.
August 12, 1933 edition of the Pittsburgh Press
Haiti Transformed Into "Hispaniola"
The Island of Haiti hereafter will be known as Hispaniola, the name which it went by in the buccaneering days of a century or more ago.
The change was made by the United State Geographic Board due to a confusion of names among residents of the island.
1937 edition of the Brocton Mirror
Twice, in recent years, this second largest of West Indian islands made news for map-makers. The first time was when the old name of Hispaniola given to it by Columbus, was restored. Previously the island was termed either Haiti or Santo Domingo, which not only caused confusion among outsiders but resentment between the two countries on the island.
A Geographical Reconnaissance of the Cibao of Santo Domingo published in the October 1938 edition of the American Geographical Society's Geographical Review
The U. S. Geographic Board, in 1933 (see its Sixth Report, 1890 to 1932, Washington, 1933, p. 367) adopted the name Hispaniola for the island, which consists of two political units, the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Although this attempt to establish a single name for the whole island was laudable because of the existing confusion, the choice of name was rather unfortunate: the arguments in favor of the name Haiti seem to be rather weak; from a historical point of view either Española or Santo Domingo would have been preferable.
November 13, 1956 edition of the Long Island Sunday Press
Thus the island called Hispaniola, or Little Spain, by the Spaniards, and now known as Haiti, became well stocked with wild cattle.
Healing in the Homeland: Haitian Vodou Tradition
The name "Hispañola" or "Hispaniola", used commonly in the media and popular discourse, is a constant reminder of Christian European colonial oppression and the forced system of servitude, and ignores the Haïtian renaming of the entire island after independence. The United States Geographic Board (USGB) unilaterally reverted the island of Haïti back to the Spanish colonizers' appellation of Hispañola, meaning "Little Spain," during the United States occupation of the Republic of Haïti from 1915-1937, the same period in which the Inquisition against the Haïtian Vodouists occured in Haïti.
The ancient name of Haiti from 1999
Today I was cataloguing a new booklet into my library, called THE ABORIGINES OF THE ANCIENT ISLAND OF HISPANIOLA by Herbert W. Krieger. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1929.
The first sentence is: The island of Hispaniola, anciently known as Haiti to its aboriginal inhabitants, is occupied jointly by the Dominican Republic and the Republic of Haiti.
This struck me as curious. The FACT in question, the ancient name of Haiti, is one that I have known since..... well, a long time. But I never think about it much and I don't think I'd every noticed a sentence like that before. It made me start reflecting.
First there was Haiti. Then the Spanish changed the name to Santo Domingo. Eventually in 1697 there is the formal division of the island into Santo Domingo and Saint-Domingue. The Dominican side has several fluxuations of name over the years, and, as this group knows only too well, on Jan. 1, 1804, Saint-Domingue ceases to exist and modern Haiti is born.
I think every school child in Haiti knows all this, but it seems curious that it is easy to forget that there was a full circle for at least this 1/3 the island of Hispaniola from Haiti to Saint-Domingue and then back to Haiti again.
Bob: First, there was Ayiti, Quisqueya and Bohio. The Haitians took the first, the Dominican, the second, and thank God, no one took the third! The Spanish first called the three-named island, La Isla Espanola (before Santo Domingo), later mispronounced and known by its diminutive, Hispaniola. On January 1st 1804, Jean-Jacques Dessalines and the victorious insurgents gave the WHOLE island its ancient name, Hayti. At that time, the whole island belonged to France, and the eastern two-thirds remained in French hands. In the 1820s, Dominicans would come to refer to their side as Spanish Hayti. In French encyclopedias and dictionaries, and thus for the entire francophone world, TODAY, there is the island of haiti subdivided into the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. In the 1930s, I beleive, at the urging of the Dominican government, the geographic board that decide on these matters, renamed or named the whole island Hispaniola. In Haiti, this was seen as a victory for Dominican diplomacy. In Haiti, we refer to the country next door as Dominicanie.
Rename the Island: Quisqueya, not Hispaniola from September 2000
The Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic share a Caribbean island, one of the four islands of the Greater Antilles that the Tainos, before Columbus's arrival, called Haiti, Bohio or Quisqueya – meaning "Mountainous Land" or "Great Land." The island was baptized La Isla Española (Hispaniola) by the Spanish colonizers. French colonizers subsequently called it Saint-Domingue. When proclaiming its independence on January 1, 1804, the Western part of the island of Saint Domingue took back the Amerindian name of Haïti (Ayiti). From that date on, the entire island was known throughout the world as the island of Haiti.
In 1930, to avoid confusion between the name of the Republic of Haiti and that of the entire island, the U.S.G.B. (United States Geographic Board) decided, unilaterally, to name the island Hispaniola in homage to the Spanish colonizer, thereby erasing all traces of the Amerindians who occupied the island before the arrival of Christopher Columbus.
[post edited for clarity]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I propose we name that the Amy Lieberman scenario. Kevin had just taken the negative on the last clue, preventing a runaway. That was a good thing for Amy. But she couldn't resist ringing in and making a stupid guess. That put Kevin into a runaway. There's a time to stay clam. Amy didn't know to stay clam.

It would have meant the game too, because Amy got FJ correct and Kevin didn't.

Scores before last clue:
Garrett 7000
Kevin 16400
Amy 8400

Kevin negative on last clue. Scores:
Garrett 7000
Kevin 15600
Amy 8400

Amy negative. Scores:
Garrett 7000
Kevin 15600
Amy 7600
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

floridagator wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 pm
Kevin negative on last clue. Scores:
Garrett 7000
Kevin 15600
Amy 8400
Yes, this is tragic for Amy because she would have won the game if she had just put her buzzer down after Kevin rang in. There was no advantage whatsoever in attempting the rebound. That's easy for us to note at home when we can pause the game and leisurely work out the math; considerably more difficult in game conditions where she had perhaps 1500 milliseconds to decide whether or not to buzz in.