Monday, October 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:57 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:54 pm
Festival of lights $2000 was gonna be Diwali, I'm sure of it.
I also precalled that as a bottom level clue and was sad I didn't get a shot at a free $2000

FJ was a complete NHOI, no shot at getting it.
You have never heard of butterflies? ;) That's beyond even Hammeresque.

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:08 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
mas3cf wrote:
I also precalled that as a bottom level clue and was sad I didn't get a shot at a free $2000

What may be more amusing is I guessed with Mexican Jumping Bean. I knew it couldn't be right since I don't know how they would be recognizable on a license plate :lol:

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:48 pm
I just saw Mexico + insect and locked in on Monarch Butterfly.
Lucky for you then, considering there's this rather well-known Mexican folk song called "La Cucaracha" (whose title translates to "The Cockroach")...
The problem with that is that it’s pretty well known that La Cucaracha was Mexican slang for a joint (as in a “roach clip”) and hence unlikely fodder for an FJ.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

+1 nose / eons. I didn’t have time to cycle through the other sense organs

Two players originally from New York. This Covid contestant pool freeze thing is killing me. I guess this ranks low on the Covid trouble scale

Insta on final, but the specificity of the year made me wonder if I was missing something

Alex showed so little enthusiasm for CAT’S ENTERTAINMENT, I feel cheated!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Philliesfan02 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:43 pm
How in the world was this a triple stumper? :shock:
Like me, they didn't know the connection between the locale and the butterflies? It's not like there's any other way in. You just have to know.

Put me down as another cockroach. Might make a good poll question.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:31 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Philliesfan02 wrote:
Lucky for you then, considering there's this rather well-known Mexican folk song called "La Cucaracha" (whose title translates to "The Cockroach")...
The problem with that is that it’s pretty well known that La Cucaracha was Mexican slang for a joint (as in a “roach clip”) and hence unlikely fodder for an FJ.
Cheech & Chong with their "Sargent Stadanko" taught me many years ago a meaning for Michoacan that does not mean the Mexican city.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:08 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
mas3cf wrote:

There is a fly made of butter? That's pretty obscure. It should be a $200,000 clue, if that.

mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Woof wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:31 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Philliesfan02 wrote:
I didn't know that about la cucaracha so I've learned something but I don't really think it's pretty well known. Until a couple weeks ago I would have agreed with you that J would steer away from weed related clues but then we had that Acapulco Gold clue. I was shocked!

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
mas3cf wrote:
Diwali was my pre-call when I saw the category. I didn't notice that the contestants didn't clear the column and assumed Diwali somehow hadn't made the cut. Which seemed strange to me. But it also seems strange to put it on the bottom row. Festival of Lights = Diwali. It's practically a Pavlov. I say that as someone who has very little familiarity with Hindu culture.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm

The archive indicates that Alex is right for WORLD LICENSE PLATES making its debut as a FJ! category. I don't see it as a J! or DJ! round category either.
There was INTERNATIONAL ROAD VEHICLE STICKERS from this game's FJ that might be the closest thing.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3883

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista

opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:55 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
mas3cf wrote:
Diwali was my pre-call when I saw the category. I didn't notice that the contestants didn't clear the column and assumed Diwali somehow hadn't made the cut. Which seemed strange to me. But it also seems strange to put it on the bottom row. Festival of Lights = Diwali. It's practically a Pavlov. I say that as someone who has very little familiarity with Hindu culture.
You saaaay that, and yet the last 5 times Diwali has come up, the clue values have been: $2000, $2000, $2000, $2000, $1000

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:29 pm
Missed only $1,000 in both Behind the Voices and Furniture. Another second or two and I could have gotten "armoire", but no way was Natalie Wood happening.
She didn't float up, huh? :)

davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:21 pm
While I know about butterflies wintering in Mexico, the state name meant nothing to me and the mention of 2010 seemed to be pointing to a specific event that caused the insects to be put on license plates. I drew a complete blank.
I'm still a bit annoyed about that "Around 2010." First, why the imprecision? And then, why bring up the year at all since it doesn't mean anything if the butterflies are still there (unless you've memorized Michoacan license plates)? My best shot was "bees," and I fretted whether to pinpoint "killer bees." I'm sure this is more obscure than the winter place of monarchs, but we used to hear over decades that these bees were slowly making their way north (though they never seemed to arrive, and I'm not sure that the talk about them was still a thing by 2010). Clearly the story made more of an impression on me growing up than where the monarchs wintered...But probably not something Mexico would be celebrating, I admit... :roll:

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista

Also, fun fact:

This is the first time Marni Nixon's name has come up in Jeopardy!, despite the fact that she has been a ghost singer in many prominent films, most notably providing the singing voices for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, Deborah Kerr in The King and I, and the clue reference of Natalie Wood in West Side Story.

I was glad to see her finally get some recognition on the show.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 pm
Leander wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:21 pm
While I know about butterflies wintering in Mexico, the state name meant nothing to me and the mention of 2010 seemed to be pointing to a specific event that caused the insects to be put on license plates. I drew a complete blank.
I'm still a bit annoyed about that "Around 2010." First, why the imprecision? And then, why bring up the year at all since it doesn't mean anything if the butterflies are still there (unless you've memorized Michoacan license plates)? My best shot was "bees," and I fretted whether to pinpoint "killer bees." I'm sure this is more obscure than the winter place of monarchs, but we used to hear over decades that these bees were slowly making their way north (though they never seemed to arrive, and I'm not sure that the talk about them was still a thing by 2010). Clearly the story made more of an impression on me growing up than where the monarchs wintered...But probably not something Mexico would be celebrating, I admit... :roll:
My best guess on that is that the current license plates don't have butterflies on them, so, depending on the source they have, you have to pin it to a past year - but you don't necessarily need (or want) to make it distant past. If you put a specific year, you might be giving a red herring as in "Mexico + 2012 = ????", but if you give an approximate year, it just sounds like they're being extra cautious.

And who knows - maybe there's some other insect that appeared in 1970, so 2010 pins it AWAY from that.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,800
46 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: division, Bastille Day (DD), Blue, article/recital, Main River, Virgo (DD)

I understand that Mr. Seaver died a month ago and Mr. Kennedy passed last week, but that's no reason this FJ! should be free of TOM as well. Throwing in 2010 as a pin was especially unhelpful, as it led me to think something specific had happened around that time related to a particular insect. Oh, well. Tomorrow is another FJ!

DD2 was way too easy. If you're going to give someone 10 seconds to figure out a pair of anagrams, it ought to be something trickier than a pair of common 5-letter words that are anagrammed with essentially one letter switch.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Get it right; the Pussycat Dolls aren't a supergroup.

I guessed "Fast & the Curious". Not exactly a pun, I guess, but it seemed to go well with cats.

Aside from cockroach, my only idea on FJ was whatever puts the jump in Mexican jumping beans. Turns out it's the jumping bean moth.

The tiller turns the rudder. I'll have to remember that.
I'm smart and I want respect.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:55 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
mas3cf wrote:
You saaaay that, and yet the last 5 times Diwali has come up, the clue values have been: $2000, $2000, $2000, $2000, $1000
Which just goes to show that the writers are overestimating the difficulty. Diwali has never been a TS or a rebound. Contestants get it right first time, every time. They would've gotten it right this time as well in its customary overvalued spot.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:04 pm
Also, fun fact:

This is the first time Marni Nixon's name has come up in Jeopardy!, despite the fact that she has been a ghost singer in many prominent films, most notably providing the singing voices for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, Deborah Kerr in The King and I, and the clue reference of Natalie Wood in West Side Story.

I was glad to see her finally get some recognition on the show.
That's astounding. I would never have guessed that she hadn't come up before.

davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 am

I guessed "Fast & the Curious". Not exactly a pun, I guess, but it seemed to go well with cats.
So did I. It plays with meaning and the similar sound, so I'd say it's a pun, though not as close a movie reference...

On FJ, perhaps their source was something like this (took seconds to find), and nobody wanted to call the Michoacan DMV to pin it down...
https://www.15q.net/mich.html

Last edited by davey on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.