Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:54 pm

The FJ! clue was such a choke for me that I can only laugh instead of being hauntingly mad at myself. Read the book, seen the miniseries, seen both theater versions (in the same seat) on opening weekend? Check!

I tried the math and took 30 years exactly to 1987 without ever making an adjustment to a surrounding year. Nothing came to me. 2017 horror? Uh.... blank. Panic set in as I wanted to add to my streak of 9 in a row. I wrote Us to have something even though I knew that was completely wrong. Time was up and I was toast.

When Kevin's response was shown I was in such shock I cannot remember what I said aloud while I'm sure it was some kind of surprise statement and nothing with expletives.

There were so many paths to solve the clue and yet I failed to do it. Run pronouns, Pavlov off horror, movie current events...

Blessings to the first person that posts a similar sickening scenario to miss it so that I have company on a clue that will top 70% (if not much higher) in the poll.
Pretty much my story this evening, even writing down Us... :oops: Big difference, though, I was never able to get through the bloated book, and I've only been slightly tempted to see the movies, and still haven't gotten around to them...So that's my excuse, I guess, unfamiliarity... :roll:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm
Kind of interesting that you can critique a wager even if you're the sole contestant. His small bet guaranteed that he'd be the first one (so far) cut from the ToC of the 4-game champs. To me, it'd be worth it to bet big and lock up the current 10th spot on the leaderboard - a likely invite if he were to lose the next day. But I probably wouldn't have the hubris to look up the "TOC tracker" before my show, and I doubt our current champ did, either.
If it were me, I'd be way, way, way more focused on trying to win the game in front of me and take home money available immediately than worrying about what dollar amount I need to edge out other 4-game champs.
Yup, I fundamentally agree with you. The bet was bad, but only because of three things which aligned perfectly:

1) His taping date came after a string of 3-max contestants, which didn't shuffle the leaderboard all season long, so his knowledge would have been up to date.

2) He had a lot of extra money to wager, and a wide range of what would be considered "acceptable" wagers in a single-game vacuum (ie not considering the ToC.) For this to happen, second place has to have a relatively low score, and first place has to have a relatively high score, since second place takes away 2x from what first place can wager. So, 20000 vs 600 would qualify, but 20000 vs 9800, while still a lock, doesn't leave much room for decision making. Conversely, 20000 vs 20000 doesn't leave much decision making either - it's pretty much either all or nothing.

3) The ToC leaderboard has to be in just the place where the wager difference could make a ToC placement difference.

While hindsight combined with all the information we have (and even including only the information he could have scraped at the time of taping) would dictate that he made the wrong choice, I will say it's splitting hairs, and I 100% can't blame him for betting what he did. I can see myself making a similar minor error. Checking the ToC leaderboard and thinking of placement strategy would be close to last on my list of "things to do before I get on J!". Way behind brushing up on knowledge gaps, running through wagering scenarios, and playing around with clicky pens and/or toilet paper holders.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am not fond of the answer for the question about the 1937 disaster in Lakewood, New Jersey. The contestant replied, "what is Hindenburg?"

Hindenburg is not a disaster. Hindenburg is the name of an airship. The correct response would be, what is the Hindenburg crash, or the Hindenburg explosion. If the question were, what disaster happened off the coast of Florida on January 28, 1986, would you accept merely "what is Challenger?"
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,000
45 R/4 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: bank, maple, spruce, Daytona 500, Richard Petty, passive-aggressive, random order, Tahrir Square, intensive care unit, Gertrude Stein (DD)

Anyone else get a Faith No More vibe from their FJ! response? (For the uninitiated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg.)

Kudos to Alex for knowing when, and having the guts, to put the hammer down.
floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:56 am I am not fond of the answer for the question about the 1937 disaster in Lakewood, New Jersey. The contestant replied, "what is Hindenburg?"

Hindenburg is not a disaster. Hindenburg is the name of an airship. The correct response would be, what is the Hindenburg crash, or the Hindenburg explosion. If the question were, what disaster happened off the coast of Florida on January 28, 1986, would you accept merely "what is Challenger?"
Yes. Of course. Just as one accepts "Chernobyl." You're technically correct, but J! doesn't generally get that pedantic.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

sarisson wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:35 pm At $17,000, this game had the most LT so far this season. Expect a poll to come soon. Too many negs kept me from a win from the fourth.
Remember, if you made the same neg as a contestant, the contestant said it first. So that doesn't count against your fourth podium score. Unless you think you'd have rung in anyway and given the same wrong response. :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: As You Like It, Bank, Drought, Maple, Spruce, Daytona 500, Original Copy, Madeline, Passive-Aggressive, Random Order, Tahrir Square, ICU, Thymus, (Gertrude Stein)
Douglas Squasoni
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Climate science is an important part of NASA's research activities. Also, personally, I am grateful that an asteroid did not strike 70% of North America in 1934.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:50 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:56 am I am not fond of the answer for the question about the 1937 disaster in Lakewood, New Jersey. The contestant replied, "what is Hindenburg?"

Yes. Of course. Just as one accepts "Chernobyl." You're technically correct, but J! doesn't generally get that pedantic.
I wouldn't even say he's technically correct. Referring to an event by the name of an entity involved in it is a sort of synecdoche, and entirely common and standard.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Alex was exactly the kind of contestant I enjoy having on there. But Alex, DON'T bet it all that late in the game. Leave yourself $100 so you can be around for FJ!

Ran NASCAR somehow. But mostly because most of the questions weren't really about NASCAR.

An old friend of mine wrote the song "Boss of Me". Always nice to see a TMBG mention on the show.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:57 am Alex was exactly the kind of contestant I enjoy having on there. But Alex, DON'T bet it all that late in the game. Leave yourself $100 so you can be around for FJ!

Ran NASCAR somehow. But mostly because most of the questions weren't really about NASCAR.

An old friend of mine wrote the song "Boss of Me". Always nice to see a TMBG mention on the show.
nope, leave $1 so you're $99 closer to the top if you get it right.

Also ran NASCAR, not somehow, but because I'm me.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Rough watch.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
davey

Post by davey »

A Wray wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:58 am Climate science is an important part of NASA's research activities. Also, personally, I am grateful that an asteroid did not strike 70% of North America in 1934.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:50 am

I wouldn't even say he's technically correct. Referring to an event by the name of an entity involved in it is a sort of synecdoche, and entirely common and standard.
Also simply because the word "disaster" was already in the clue; the player is completing the phrase.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

The Hindenburg, Titanic, Challenger, and many others are all well-accepted synecdoches for their disasters.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shu ... r_disaster
https://www.challenger.org/2016/02/01/a ... -disaster/

Google search returns:

"Hindenburg disaster" - 346,000
"Hindenburg crash" - 20,800
"Hindenburg explosion" - 17,100

"Challenger disaster" - 495,000
"Challenger crash" - 54,100
"Challenger explosion" - 264,000
I would prefer not to.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

"Two and a Half Men" clue on the day one of its co-stars passed away.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:57 am Always nice to see a TMBG mention on the show.
This +1
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm
Kind of interesting that you can critique a wager even if you're the sole contestant. His small bet guaranteed that he'd be the first one (so far) cut from the ToC of the 4-game champs. To me, it'd be worth it to bet big and lock up the current 10th spot on the leaderboard - a likely invite if he were to lose the next day. But I probably wouldn't have the hubris to look up the "TOC tracker" before my show, and I doubt our current champ did, either.
If it were me, I'd be way, way, way more focused on trying to win the game in front of me and take home money available immediately than worrying about what dollar amount I need to edge out other 4-game champs.

This reminds me of Buzzy's FJ wagering strategy (which he explained on Austin Rogers' podcast...) which really resonated with me:

[paraphrased heavily]
"if I had a runaway game going into final, I didn't waste an iota of my energy on the outcome. Ignore the category, bet zero, ignore the question, jot down a silly answer. I spent that time resting my mind and body in preparation for the next game that was only ten minutes away."

i.e. don't stress about your 4-day total, instead maximize your chance to moot the point with a 5-day total! :D
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Good advice, but if I've got a huge lead, I'm at least looking at the category to see if it's a super-favorable one that I can make a hefty wager on (such as WHO SAID IT IN THE BIBLE? last week).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

jeffwolfe wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pmWhy the hell was NASA in the clue? What do they have to do with droughts?
The short answer is that it's there because NASA did the study.

It also indicated that it's a(n) historical study and not a contemporary one. And 70% of the continent combined with 1,000 years of history suggests it's based on a planetary survey. NASA has quite a bit of experience with planetary surveys, both on its home planet and on other planets.

All of which is to say, I got it wrong, too. Rereading the clue, it's clear that all the obvious alternate answers that trigger off of "NASA" are obviously wrong. Seeing the correct response and looking back at the clue, it's clearly the only thing it could be. But not an easy one to get.
I guess my biggest beef is the use of the word "struck". Sure, in retrospect it's impossible for an asteroid or whatnot to have struck 70% of North America, but I don't see any purpose of having NASA plus the word "struck" in the clue other than to confuse the contestants. How about "affected"? Too straightforward?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oy! Do you think they could have made FJ any easier?? Literary pronoun + 2017 horror film + 1987 novel?????
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:24 pm
jeffwolfe wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pmWhy the hell was NASA in the clue? What do they have to do with droughts?
The short answer is that it's there because NASA did the study.

It also indicated that it's a(n) historical study and not a contemporary one. And 70% of the continent combined with 1,000 years of history suggests it's based on a planetary survey. NASA has quite a bit of experience with planetary surveys, both on its home planet and on other planets.

All of which is to say, I got it wrong, too. Rereading the clue, it's clear that all the obvious alternate answers that trigger off of "NASA" are obviously wrong. Seeing the correct response and looking back at the clue, it's clearly the only thing it could be. But not an easy one to get.
I guess my biggest beef is the use of the word "struck". Sure, in retrospect it's impossible for an asteroid or whatnot to have struck 70% of North America, but I don't see any purpose of having NASA plus the word "struck" in the clue other than to confuse the contestants. How about "affected"? Too straightforward?
I thought the same thing, since drought isn't a sudden thing, but "drought struck" is a phrase - tens of thousands of hits on google. Then again, "Drought affected" gets hundreds of thousands...I'd guess the writers didn't give the proper verb much thought.