Thursday, October 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, October 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:02 pm FJ not my favorite ever. Too much stabbing in the dark required. The best ones are the ones that force you to think, but then when you've got it, you know you've got it.
Like.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:30 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm How is Glass Menagerie a TS? Tennessee Williams is a Pavlov for that play.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Streetcar Named Desire? There isn't a single Pavlov for Williams.
The rest of the clue - Laura Wingfield, his sister - was the Pavlov there...
I'm having a weird week. This was the easiest FJ of the week for me. (The only one I've gotten... :roll: ) I knew it immediately. Then Alex said, "What does the word cannonball imply?" and I assumed I had missed something more pointed about that word and was prepared to be wrong. But it seems I understood the implication all along, however vague it was....
All this being said, I don't like the clue either... Is it a psychological term? Or just a social buzz phrase? I doubt it's used clinically. The guy wasn't a psychologist...Cannonball Mike (né Meyer) Friedman was a cardiologist who was interested in observing why some men were at risk for heart attacks, not so much developing a theory of personality.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm I thought of Type A, but couldn't make any connection back to Cannonball, so I went with 'adrenaline junkie'. I don't think it was a very good clue.
I actually started with adrenaline junkie but talked myself into switching to Type A (fortunately a short
response). I likewise thought it was a lousy clue.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Should have paid slightly closer attention to the exact category for FJ!: PSYCHOLOGICAL TERMS. Not psychiatric. I started to match Kristen's wrong response, but then looked at "cannonball", and came up with a great wrong response for PSYCHIATRIC TERMS - "intermittent explosive disorder". It's a real thing, look it up. Being a Type B, I just went with that response.

Nitpicking, but accuracy and precision are NOT the same.

I thought word puzzles might take us back to Alex's Classic Concentration days with some rebuses.

Are the writers trolling us with a whole category of "berry", sans Gordy?

I came up with "Dapper Dan" for the well-dressed robber too. Tried looking it up, but all I get is a current clothing designer in Harlem...but I swear the phrase is older than that?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,400
44 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: wood, Lost In Space, bodice, gin (DD), International Criminal Court, Sikhism (DD)

Wagering strategy. It matters.

With very little confidence, I wrote down "Type A." Then, with about three seconds to go, I crossed it out and scrawled down "risk-seeking." Boo hiss.
davey wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:30 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm How is Glass Menagerie a TS? Tennessee Williams is a Pavlov for that play.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Streetcar Named Desire? There isn't a single Pavlov for Williams.
The rest of the clue - Laura Wingfield, his sister - was the Pavlov there...
Right, but that requires specific knowledge of the play, which isn't exactly how-could-anyone-not-know-that level knowledge.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I honk that was a terrible FJ clue. To me, a Type A personality is driven and perfectioniatic, neither of which is suggested to me by Cannonball. I said thrill-seeker with little confodence. And, yes, precision and accuracy are distinct things, at least in the context of measurement.

Anyone know if this Daniel Lee is erstwhile boardie dklee12?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 pm Nitpicking, but accuracy and precision are NOT the same.
True. You can be incredibly precise, but wildly inaccurate (for example, grouping all of you shots in a nice tight circle ... on the wall next to the target. :) ) or any of the other possible combinations.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 pm
I came up with "Dapper Dan" for the well-dressed robber too. Tried looking it up, but all I get is a current clothing designer in Harlem...but I swear the phrase is older than that?
The first thing Dapper Dan made me think of was this:

dapper dan.jpg
dapper dan.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 2304 times

Then I had to chuckle upon finding this explanation by Ted Haigh. (scroll down a bit)
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

I thought "risk-taker" immediately, then "type A" about three seconds later, then agonized between the two for the next 26.5 seconds before settling on the wrong one. I too was done in by the fact that Type A and Type B are so intertwined that it seemed really weird for a clue to ask one without so much as acknowledging the existence of the other.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Not a fan of FJ!. Wrote down Type A, Manic and Manic-Depressive with the thought of crossing out two of them as time expired. Unfortunately Manic is the one that made the cut. Not surprised that many here have gotten it correct, but also not surprised that their confidence level seems quite low.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Since "type" was not only in the clue but the genus term, would simply "A" have been accepted?

I said narcissist. It sounds like he was that, too.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought that FJ straight up sucked. I wrote down "thrill-seeker" and then thought of daredevil, but kept my first instinct.

I also don't think "The Glass Menagerie" is pavlovian for a Williams play. I'd think both "Streetcar Named Desire" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" are better known.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:46 pm I thought that FJ straight up sucked. I wrote down "thrill-seeker" and then thought of daredevil, but kept my first instinct.

I also don't think "The Glass Menagerie" is pavlovian for a Williams play. I'd think both "Streetcar Named Desire" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" are better known.
Agree on both points. I think this is probably the most hated FJ! this season from the grumblings, no? (Not the most controversial - that would be Barry Gordy.)

As far as Williams, I've seen the OTHER two plays, but not the first. Well, I may have seen a high school production of the first, but that was in the early Bush/late Clinton era. To be honest, "Blanche" (or "Stanley", or "Stella" with any number of 'a's) for "Streetcar" is an easy Pavlov, and would be worthy of top row. As far as "The Glass Menagerie", I know vaguely that it was about a slightly imbalanced youngish woman obsessed with her dollhouse-like menagerie, but the name Laura? Doesn't ring a bell. The only way you could get to that organically is by eliminating the other two plays, and hoping that because it's top row that it would have to be one of three of Williams' biggest plays - although Rose Tattoo might be another reasonable guess, but not for top row.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

nserven wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 pm Since "type" was not only in the clue but the genus term, would simply "A" have been accepted?
That was my thought, too. I think it would have to be.

It would certainly take a lot less time than "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

I was actually wondering after the "It" answer earlier this week if two-letter responses were the shortest FJs on record, thinking that maybe a Bond character like "Q" or something similar could have come up. And then, two days later, a potential single-letter response appears.

Would have been a kick if someone had started writing an answer, was unable to come up with anything after writing, "WHAT IS A" and then been judged correct.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm The only way you could get to that organically is by eliminating the other two plays, and hoping that because it's top row that it would have to be one of three of Williams' biggest plays - although Rose Tattoo might be another reasonable guess, but not for top row.
Or "Night of the Iguana" for that matter.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Peachbox wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:44 am
talkingaway wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 pm
The first thing Dapper Dan made me think of was this:

dapper dan.jpg

Then I had to chuckle upon finding this explanation by Ted Haigh. (scroll down a bit)
Playskool marketed dolls in the '70s called Dressy Bessy and Dapper Dan, too.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I instagot type A and didn't second-guess.

There are two types of people. People who divide people into two types, and people who don't.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At least nobody guessed BDE. (Shout-out to recent Omnibus Project topic.)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

ZERO idea on FJ... None whatsoever.

I managed Pretty Boy Floyd just in the nick of time...

I figured Billboard 2020 was a sure 0-fer for me, but guessed Eminem correctly simply based on the fact he's a famous Detroit rapper. Even though I got lucky once there, I'd rather not see any recent pop-culture silliness, EVER.

Also didn't know which T Williams play that character was from.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 pm
nserven wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 pm Since "type" was not only in the clue but the genus term, would simply "A" have been accepted?
That was my thought, too. I think it would have to be.

It would certainly take a lot less time than "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

I was actually wondering after the "It" answer earlier this week if two-letter responses were the shortest FJs on record, thinking that maybe a Bond character like "Q" or something similar could have come up. And then, two days later, a potential single-letter response appears.
Actually, Austin Rogers's first FJ was about the Bond character Q: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5787

And speaking of FJs, this one sucked. I said bipolar and never even heard of Type A before this game.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell