Friday, October 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Rodeo was my response too...Billy the Kid would have been my second choice...Appalachian Spring never came to me...I don't
think the clue would have been too easy if the 2d ellipsed word had been left in...
...concerned a pioneer celebration in spring around a newly-built farmhouse in the Pennsylvania hills in the early part of the [19th] century...
Is hot dog delivery a big thing? Not as a prepared item, surely - the buns and condiments would come separately... :geek: Not sure if that's why, but I didn't hesitate to go with pizza...

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,600
48 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: pearls, Bill Murray, vacuum, steam, "to boldly go...," don't go there, Elvis Costello, You Can't Go Home Again, Queen Victoria, China (DD), King George III (DD), John F. Kennedy

It came down to Rodeo and Appalachian Spring for me as well. The curse of knowledge almost got me, as I remember from high school academic decathlon many moons ago that the most famous piece from the former (the "Beef. It's What's For Dinner." music) is "Hoedown," which fits the clue quite nicely. Luckily, I figured they weren't going that deep and stuck with the latter.

Today's game was the narrowest of crushes, as Kristin only exceeded 150% of Aaron's total by $50. Unfortunately, she overwagered by $99, which would have gifted Aaron a shot at a tiebreaker clue had he decided to stand pat.

The players never seemed to catch on that the rightmost category in DJ! was meant to be pronounced Elv-eye, as in the colloquial plural of Elvis.
Sprinkles are for winners.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The double poll is up:

Part 1 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5856
Part 2 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5857

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:53 pm
I shall express how I felt watching this game with a question.

Do we even need a 4th podium poll?
Turns out, no. We didn't need a 4th podium poll! :lol:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 am
The players never seemed to catch on that the rightmost category in DJ! was meant to be pronounced Elv-eye, as in the colloquial plural of Elvis.
Which is bogus since Elvis is obviously a third-declension noun. The plural would be Elves, pronounced ELL-ves in ecclesiastical Latin but ELL-wes in classical Latin. Huh. Like Cary Elwes. I never noticed that before. The dude is more than one Elvis.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Does Kristin's total rank among the lowest for a 2x champion?

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Here's an annoyance of mine FWIW, AT telling the contestant (Kirstin in this case), "You picked the right one" I can't recall the answer/question but to my mind he is assuming she didn't KNOW the answer and was guessing. And that's all I have to sat about that.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

flemmingfan wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 am
Here's an annoyance of mine FWIW, AT telling the contestant (Kirstin in this case), "You picked the right one" I can't recall the answer/question but to my mind he is assuming she didn't KNOW the answer and was guessing. And that's all I have to sat about that.
J25 - Kansas
You picked the right state.

Should that go in the archive? I don't usually include those kind of remarks and only consider it a variation on Alex's affirmations.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ten TSs worth $9800 plus a sole get on FJ. Easiest 4th-podium win (or should that be lectern?) ever. Really, really a weak performance by all three contestants. I know the CCs are limiting themselves to the LA area, but is this really the cream of the contestant crop?

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

alietr wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:22 am
Does Kristin's total rank among the lowest for a 2x champion?
Nope, even under the old values, Sid Moore Jr. from Feb. 2001 has her beat with $2,600 after his first two days:

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=3232

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

No clue on FJ!. Copland is a blind spot for me - the name rings a bell with "American composer", but nothing more. Scanning the Wiki article, I only vaguely recognize "Fanfare for the Common Man", which I'm pretty sure I've heard watching the Olympics, although I know John Williams is the main composer for NBC's theme(s). Perhaps another sports program? NHO either of the two Copland compositions mentioned tonight, and I'm pretty sure I've NH Appalachian Spring itself, although it apparently contains "Simple Gifts", which I have heard. (Thank you, Atari 2600 version of "The Smurfs" video game.)

ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE was a mess for me. A 12-inch item delivered for the Fourth of July? I honestly don't see how you could think of pizza delivery as an international business, but if you got it, more power to you. I went with "flag". Fun fact: Canadian residents can order a free Canadian flag from Parliament Hill. Waiting time: 100 years. In the first clue of that category, I skipped over "yellow" and headed straight to "Daimler", so I had "car" for "bus". And a person in France who really liked wine? I went with the previous (and original) "minister to France": Franklin.

Rough game. In precalls, I had "happy go lucky" correctly in GO BETWEEN (correct), and "I Can't Drive 55 / Sammy Hagar" for LV (way off).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Aaron Ballett misses an FJ about a ballet written by a man named Aaron.

I also missed it without a guess.

Kristin needs to study wagering before her next game. If Aaron bets zero we have a tie. I mean, she is on her honeymoon. What else does she have to do?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, the wheels really came off in DJ! didn't they...

====

NHO "Ring" video doorbells. Odd when $200 is not only my only miss, but also my only NHOI.

Really struggled with City Nicknames: I could have spent all day guessing and never gotten "church" at $200, blanked on pearls, wouldn't have gotten "invincible", and said Bern for Oslo. Only knowing the lyrics to "Molly Malone" kept me from the bagel.

Turns out the bagel was waiting for me in Actors & Their Roles. And again in The English Monarch When...

However, I ran LV. Precalled Vuitton and "lumbar vertebrae".

"Fourth of July" + "12 inch" led me to "bottle rockets". Only off by a lot. I literally never would have guessed "pizza" even after the "apple pie" neg.

I made the same mistake on the "no man has gone before" clue since I figured the "gone" met the "go" qualifications. I was flabbergased when that was wrong and even said out loud, "How is that wrong? It has 'go' in it!" Major headslap when he mentioned the "to boldly go..." part which I had totally forgotten about.

No guess on FJ! Correct response rings absolutely no bells for me.

Lach Trash: vacuum, Elvis Costello
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

cheezguyty wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:35 pm
Aanchal is now the first player alphabetically in the Archive, surpassing Aarin Martinez.
Nice find. From a strict data sorting perspective, all those who went by their initials come first:

A.C. Hawley
A.J. Monaco
A.J. Motley
A.J. Schumacher
A.K. Subramanian
A.V. Greene
Aanchal Ramani
Aarin Martinez
Aaron Ammerman

Going the opposite direction from the end:

Zorn Pink
Zora Shinn
Zoey Orol
Zoë Assasie
Zlatan Hodzic
Zinie Chen
Ziad Ali
Zia Jones
Zia Choudhury
Zelda Pulliam

The first hometown by alphabetical order is Aberdeen, Idaho, where Mandy Walters Whitaker was originally from. Kathleen Nance was from Zirconia, North Carolina.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess "Ozark Spring" isn't a thing. Damn. Pretty difficult week for FJs. Between my wife and I we only got one right (none for her, one for me)!

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 am
That's how I would have pronounced it, but I think "ell vee" is how the intended it to pronounced to mirror the LV category in single Jeopardy.

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Opus posted elsewhere about Appalachian Spring being better known as a concert piece than a ballet, and that covers my thought process. Not to mention that "Simple Gifts" feels more "reverentially appreciative" than "celebrational." Went with "Rodeo" instead.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 pm
Aaron Ballett misses an FJ about a ballet written by a man named Aaron.
Ha! :lol: I didn't even notice. How did we get halfway into the second page before someone pointed that out?

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 pm
Kristin needs to study wagering before her next game. If Aaron bets zero we have a tie. I mean, she is on her honeymoon. What else does she have to do?
We really need to see a picture of the other half before we answer that! :D

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Wow, the wheels really came off in DJ! didn't they...

====

NHO "Ring" video doorbells. Odd when $200 is not only my only miss, but also my only NHOI.

Really struggled with City Nicknames: I could have spent all day guessing and never gotten "church" at $200, blanked on pearls, wouldn't have gotten "invincible", and said Bern for Oslo. Only knowing the lyrics to "Molly Malone" kept me from the bagel.

Turns out the bagel was waiting for me in Actors & Their Roles. And again in The English Monarch When...

However, I ran LV. Precalled Vuitton and "lumbar vertebrae".

"Fourth of July" + "12 inch" led me to "bottle rockets". Only off by a lot. I literally never would have guessed "pizza" even after the "apple pie" neg.

I made the same mistake on the "no man has gone before" clue since I figured the "gone" met the "go" qualifications. I was flabbergased when that was wrong and even said out loud, "How is that wrong? It has 'go' in it!" Major headslap when he mentioned the "to boldly go..." part which I had totally forgotten about.

No guess on FJ! Correct response rings absolutely no bells for me.

Lach Trash: vacuum, Elvis Costello
You've probably heard of "Ring" doorbells but it hasn't registered. They get mentioned a fair amount in reports on neighborhood crimes and whatnot. Police canvassing nearby homes to see if anyone's Ring got a good picture of the burglar or his license plate. That kind of thing.

I forgot about the Cidade Invicta clue. I don't object to credit being given for "unconquerable city". But I think technically it means "unconquered". The braggadocious implication, of course, is "never conquered because it CAN'T be conquered". But that's not the literal translation.

Weirdly, right after the "apple pie" neg I thought to myself, "I bet it's pizza". In the moment that seemed so right I almost mentally buzzed in to guess. Maybe I even did so and I should help myself to the points. I'm not sure, so I didn't count it. But I agree this is a real WECIBLMGYAL* clue. I remember in the '70s Chevy ran ads with the jingle "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet". Pizza, though very much an American thing, did not make the list. Ruling out 12-inch baseballs and Chevrolets leaves you with two good guesses (with the edge going to hot dogs which are KNOWN to come in "footlong" form) and a lot of wild ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYXfdnhh2Mo

I'm loving your presumably accidental coinage of the word "flabbergased". I take it that means you were so surprised you broke wind. :D

You recognize the "Simple Gifts" tune, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6RYZygevA

---------------
* What Else Could It Be? Let Me Give You A List!

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

It seems to me there have been a whole lot of pretty loosely pinned clues this season.