Fourth Podium Poll for 10/16/2020 (Part 1)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these clues did you get?

$800 2-LETTER WORDS: In the title of a Eugene O'Neill play, it precedes "Wilderness!" (Kristin: What is Oh?)
60%
I got the above clue, but only after Kristin ruled out "Oh"
14%
I got the above clue BEFORE Kristin ruled out "Oh"
38%
$400 CITY NICKNAMES: Hyderabad, India is known as the "City of" these marine gemstones (Aanchal: What is opal?) (Aaron: What is turquoise?)
58%
$1000 2-LETTER WORDS: Scrabble players know this 2-letter word is a type of 3-toed sloth found in Brazil (Aanchal: What is chi?)
19%
$800 ACTORS & THEIR ROLES: Groundskeeper Carl Spackler & Franklin D. Roosevelt
74%
$1000 ACTORS & THEIR ROLES: Captain Hector Barbossa & the Marquis de Sade
44%
DD1 AMERICAN HISTORY: The oldest continuously settled city in America, it was named for the Bishop of Hippo
89%
I got DD1 based primarily or entirely on the first half of the clue (the oldest American city)
53%
I got DD1 based primarily or entirely on the second half of the clue (Bishop of Hippo)
4%
I could have gotten DD1 based on either half of the clue
42%
$1200 FEEL THE POWER! (DJ Round): One of the best electrical insulators is simply this complete absence of materials (Aaron: What is air?)
72%
$1600 FEEL THE POWER! (DJ Round): California's Ivanpah plant focuses solar rays to heat tanks of water, spinning turbines with this 19th century type of power (Aaron: What is hydroelectric? Uh, what is hydro?)
57%
$800 I'M JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN (DJ ROUND): "Star Trek: The Next Generation" de-gendered the famed opening, changing "man" to "one" in this line (Aaron: Uh, what is "Where no one has gone before"?)
58%
DD2 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE: Emerging from famine, this country opened up to the U.S. in 1972, its first deal was to buy 13 American fertilizer factories
53%
DD3 THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN...: Napoleon became Emperor of France
76%

Total votes: 72

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 10/16/2020 (Part 1)

Post by opusthepenguin »

(Link to part 2 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5857)

This poll (part 1) has all the triple stumpers from SJ, three from DJ, and all three DDs. No need to include your total in the comments below. Save that for part 2.
CORRECT RESPONSES
$800 2-LETTER WORDS: Ah
$400 CITY NICKNAMES: pearls
$1000 2-LETTER WORDS: the ai
$800 ACTORS & THEIR ROLES: Bill Murray
$1000 ACTORS & THEIR ROLES: Geoffrey Rush
DD1 AMERICAN HISTORY: St. Augustine (Aaron pulled this out at the last second)
$1200 FEEL THE POWER! (DJ Round): a vacuum
$1600 FEEL THE POWER! (DJ Round): steam
$800 I'M JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN (DJ ROUND): To boldly go where no man--no one has gone before
DD2 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE: China (Aanchal missed with Ireland)
DD3 THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN...: George III (Aanchal missed with Victoria, who had already appeared a few clues back.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 10/16/2020 (Part 1)

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Line one is for the SJ clues, including DD1. It doesn't reflect my answers to the meta-questions. Line 2 is for the DJ clues, including DD2 and DD3. I realize it's a little confusing to keep track when the meta-questions are inserted between one clue and the next. But I still felt that ordering was better than putting all the meta-questions at the end. YMMV.

I was too chicken to buzz in on Eugene O'Neill even after "Oh" was eliminated. I thought "Ah", but I didn't pull the trigger to guess it. Surprised Carl Spackler was a TS. I'm not a big Caddyshack fan, but I do love the Bill Murray scenes and they're definitely a part of basic pop culture. Could've got St. Augustine from either half of the clue. I found the steam power clue easier just now when presented only with the text. During the game I found myself fascinated by the visual and didn't concentrate enough on the clue to make the obvious guess. I said Ethiopia for the famine, even though I knew Ethiopia's famine troubles were later. I did think of China but didn't talk myself into it. I would not have rung in on DD3. But forced to guess, I went with the correct George III. The timing gets a little muddy because Napoleon was during England's Regency period when George III was still technically king but his son, who later became George IV, was running the show.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Negged with Oh (Wilderness!) but was saved by Kristin
Sprinkles are for winners.

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

Pearls, Geoffrey Rush, vacuum, steam, "...to boldly go where no man/one has gone before," plus the St. Augustine (from oldest American city) and George III Daily Doubles.

Considered "Oh" but clammed.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Got all above except ai and China

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ah (no help needed), pearl & Murray for $2000 and swept the DDs.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I hate the arbitrariness of the Star Trek line neg. For one, "where no man/one has gone before" is just as much a "line" as "to boldly go where no man/one has gone before", since the full line is "Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before". For another thing, "where no man has gone before" is enough of a standalone phrase to have its own Wikipedia page. For another thing, "Where No One Has Gone Before" is the title of a well-known Next Generation episode, and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the second original series pilot, which aired as the third episode of the show.

To pick one particular place to call the beginning of the "line" is just really capricious.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Robert K S wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 pm
I hate the arbitrariness of the Star Trek line neg. For one, "where no man/one has gone before" is just as much a "line" as "to boldly go where no man/one has gone before", since the full line is "Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before". For another thing, "where no man has gone before" is enough of a standalone phrase to have its own Wikipedia page. For another thing, "Where No One Has Gone Before" is the title of a well-known Next Generation episode, and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the second original series pilot, which aired as the third episode of the show.

To pick one particular place to call the beginning of the "line" is just really capricious.
Didn't the name of the category include "Go" in quotation marks? I might be recalling this incorrectly, but didn't Alex also explain that "the word GO" will appear in the middle of the correct phrase?

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yes, and from my perspective, "go" is still in the middle of "where no one has gone before".

davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:14 pm
Yes, and from my perspective, "go" is still in the middle of "where no one has gone before".
Alex: You have to give us in your response a phrase with "go" between two other words.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Still

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Matched Kristen with "Oh"
Did not come up with China or the sloth, but did OK with the rest.
$5800 plus DD1 and DD3.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

davey

Post by davey »

No go

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew St. Augustine from both angles.
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.4k games
Alpaca Farm: 1578 quizzes

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I forgot the category and did the "where no one/man has gone before" response to match the contestant, but got the rest of them.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The only clues I missed here were Geoffrey Rush (I figured the Marquis de Sade role was in Quills but couldn't recall who was in it) and the China DD (the mention of famine threw me off). I missed the DJ category intros, so I ended up doing as Aaron, leaving the split infinitive from the Star Trek quotation [edit: unlike Aaron, I said "no man"], but I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt that I would have gotten it. I didn't need Kristin's neg to get "Ah," and only needed either half of the St. Augustine clue.
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

6800 + all DDs, though I think George III may have been a clam if I wasn't forced to answer.

(I know the penguin said to save totals for part two, but if I don't save this somewhere, I'll forget it)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ghostbusters (2016) (7), Fantastic Four (2015) (5), Star Trek Beyond (8)

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:20 pm
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last question on tonight's episode of "The Wall": In the movie Caddyshack, greenskeeper Carl Spackler played by Bill Murray...

Why didn't that episode air at least a week earlier? :x
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.4k games
Alpaca Farm: 1578 quizzes

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

$1000 2-LETTER WORDS: Scrabble players know this 2-letter word is a type of 3-toed sloth found in Brazil (Aanchal: What is chi?)
Aanchal's incorrect response was presumably "qi" (not "chi").