Fourth Podium Poll for 10/16/2020 (Part 2)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these clues did you get?

$800 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE: For the Fourth of July in 2012, an order was placed to deliver 30,000 12-inch these to Americans serving overseas (Aaron: What are apple pies?)
32%
My incorrect response for the above clue was hot dogs
12%
$1200 I'M JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN: 3-word phrase meaning "please stop talking in your present vein, as I do not wish to think about that"
33%
$800 ELVI: This rocker's backing band on 1977's "My Aim Is True" included members of the News, of Huey Lewis fame
68%
$1600 I'M JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN: The town where you grew up won't be the way you remember it, as we learn from this 1940 novel title (Kristin: What is You Can Never Go Back?)
70%
$800 THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN...: The Charge of the Light Brigade happened at the Battle of Balaklava
74%
$800 POETS & POETRY: This president asked Robert Frost to read "The Gift Outright" at his inauguration, but with the last line changed
74%
$1200 POETS & POETRY: This patriotic Oliver Wendell Holmes poem warns, "the harpies of the shore shall pluck the eagle of the sea!"
20%
$2000 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE: In 2019 the Defense Dept. placed the largest order in its history, $34 billion to this 2-named co. for a batch of F-35 fighter planes (Kristin: What is Northrop Grumman?)
50%
I got the above clue only after Northrop Grumman was eliminated
9%
Even after Northrop Grumman was eliminated, I still negged with McDonnell Douglas
26%
$1600 THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN...: Magellan's fleet began its circumnavigation voyage (Aanchal: Who is Elizabeth?)
29%
FJ 20th CENTURY AMERICAN MUSIC: The composer of this 1944 ballet piece said it "concerned a pioneer celebration... around a newly built farmhouse in the... hills"
32%
I negged on FJ with a different Copland composition
29%
I knew the composer for FJ but could not name a piece by him
6%
I won this game from the fourth podium (see notes below)
29%

Total votes: 66

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 10/16/2020 (Part 2)

Post by opusthepenguin »

(Link to part 1 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5856)

This poll (part 2) has the rest of the DJ triple stumpers plus FJ. Remember to include your total from both parts of this poll in your comments below.

Go easy on me if there are mistakes. This was a monumental undertaking and I'm not entirely with it. My fear is I'll wake up later today and find out I borked the whole thing. But I just can't force myself to proofread and double-check any more.

SCORES GOING INTO FJ

Kristin Hucek: 8000
Aaron Ballett: 5300
Aanchal Ramani: (eliminated with minus 200)

There was $18,400 in trash--enough for a runaway. If that was your path to victory, please note that in your post and accept my congratulations.

NOTES ON CHECKING THE FOURTH PODIUM WIN BOX

1. If a player gave your incorrect response, you don't have to deduct those points from your fourth podium score. Otherwise, you do. The conceit is that your fourth podium buzzer doesn't work until the players are done with whatever guesses they want to make.

2. DDs don't count toward your fourth podium score (obviously)

3. In this game, FJ was a double stumper. You can check the winner box
  1. If you had at least $12,001 pre-FJ and missed FJ
  2. If you had at least $4,001 pre-FJ and got FJ
  3. If you had at least $16,001 pre-FJ regardless

Presumably the logic on those numbers is clear. If not, I screwed up the math or wagering isn't your thing.
CORRECT RESPONSES
$800 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE: pizzas
$1200 I'M JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN: don't go there
$800 ELVI: Elvis Costello
$1600 I'M JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN: You Can't Go Home Again
$800 THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN...: Queen Victoria
$800 POETS & POETRY: President John F. Kennedy
$1200 POETS & POETRY: "Old Ironsides"
$2000 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE: Lockheed Martin
$1600 THE ENGLISH MONARCH WHEN...: Henry VIII
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

opusthepenguin

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 10/16/2020 (Part 2)

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen:

I thought pizza at the last second but didn't mentally buzz in, so no points there. I got You Can't Go Home Again without needing Kristin's neg. (That was a meta-question that I couldn't fit in.) I think Kristin's response of You Can Never Go Back is the clearest indication of the in-game jitters that must have been affecting all three contestants. As the train began wrecking in slo-mo, their inner turmoil must have gotten worse and worse. I'm sure we all felt for them and realized that each one could have turned in a much more impressive performance under different circumstances. (If that's not true for you, this is a good time to keep your mouth shut.) Would've got Elvis Costello if I'd paid attention to the category.

I knew about Robert Frost reading "The Gift Outright" at JFK's inauguration because John Irving wrote about it in A Prayer for Owen Meany. (Great book.) I don't recall him mentioning the word change so that was new to me. The original poem, referring to America, ends, "Such as she was, such as she would become". JFK apparently had Frost change the "would" to "will" which makes sense politically but, in my opinion, weakens the poem. I'd bet Frost thought the same thing, but how do you say no? Well... Frost was pretty cantankerous, so I wouldn't put it past him. But it also doesn't surprise me that he complied.

I thought McDonnell Douglas as my first guess, even before the Northrop Grumman neg. But I didn't make it my official guess before or after that neg. So no harm no foul.

I started with Rodeo on FJ because that's the go-to Copland ballet. (And Billy the Kid is the rebound guess.) But I recognized that Rodeo didn't fit the clue and quickly settled on the correct response. I think part of the difficulty here is that people don't think of Appalachian Spring as a ballet. It's far more often performed in the short and suite form as a concert piece. I own both the ballet and the suite on CD. And I know that both culminate in the Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts". That fit very well with "pioneer celebration" and "newly built farmhouse" which calls to mind an old-fashioned Amish barn raising. I didn't key in on the "hills" TOM until after I'd already settled on Appalachian Spring.

Lach trash: $8000, exactly Kristin's pre-FJ score. I would've bet the farmhouse and come out with $16000.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :( :|
FJ: :mrgreen:

By my count, that's $7,200 + FJ!, good enough for an imagi-win
Sprinkles are for winners.

Philliesfan02
Valued Contributor

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FJ!: :( heard the name somewhere before, but no way was I coming up with it.

assuming a good wager from second, I would have lost from the lead.

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

Pizzas, You Can't Go Home Again (rebound), Elvis Costello, Victoria, John Kennedy, Lockheed Martin (before any responses were given).

Knew it was Copland and couldn't come up with the title.

Total is $11,800, not quite enough to claim a definite victory, but I win if Kristin bets to cover Aaron.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hot dog and Victoria cancelled out each other and I got Henry 8 for $1600. With $2000 from part one that is $3600 total and I missed the FJ! [Rodeo] clue.

My best path to victory would have been a runaway which I could have done on the MONARCH DD if I played it late enough. DD1 AMERICAN HISTORY would have been a big wager as well.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I got several of the ones listed here plus several more not included:

"Ah," Pearl, Bill Murray, vacuum, steam, "to boldly go," don't go there, you can't go home again, JFK, Old Ironsides.

That was 10, good for $9,800. Even if I bet zero on FJ that was a fourth-podium win. In reality I came up with Appalachian Spring to "win" even more handily. Another of those games that make me say, "Why is that not me up there?"

Pretty lame performance by all three when I can outscore them just from their leavings. Maybe next week will be better.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :(

$10,200 by my counting so no runaway and an FJ loss. My superior wagering (and all those DD gets) might be enough for a win though.

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Matched Aaron's "apple pies" and Kristin's "Rodeo."
I follow aviation (surprised?) so Lockheed Martin was a gimme.
Got distracted by living room conversation and missed seeing the Elvis Costello clue, and had no response to the O.W. Holmes poem. Did OK with the rest.

$5800 from part 1, $5400 here for $11,200.

Would have bet $4801 in FJ to cover Kristin's potential doubling and missed with "Rodeo," so I'm giving myself a final score of $6399 to Kristin's $5300. I'm going to count it as a win.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I checked "I negged on FJ with a different Copland composition" but I actually put down "Ozark Spring." So it was really that I knew the piece being referred to, I just messed up the name.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Got the ELVI/"News" clue from the category name alone and felt the players should have, too.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:46 pm
$5800 from part 1, $5400 here for $11,200.

Would have bet $4801 in FJ to cover Kristin's potential doubling and missed with "Rodeo," so I'm giving myself a final score of $6399 to Kristin's $5300. I'm going to count it as a win.
So in Shrum-world, Kristin always bets $2700 when she has $8000, regardless of what the competition has? :D

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:48 pm
I checked "I negged on FJ with a different Copland composition" but I actually put down "Ozark Spring." So it was really that I knew the piece being referred to, I just messed up the name.
Fair enough. The poll question didn't specify a REAL different Copland composition! :lol:

I think Ozark Spring was on the program for Maestro Aaron's famous "Bottled Water Tour" of 1957. The concerts were sold out but all anyone remembers is the lines for the bathroom. To this day some people can't hear a Copland piece without crossing their legs and feeling anxious.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:13 pm
Got the ELVI/"News" clue from the category name alone and felt the players should have, too.
I certainly felt I should have. But the forehead-slap moment didn't occur until I was preparing this poll. In the moment I just figured, well, I don't know Elvis Costello's body of work so there was no way I was getting that. Whatever. Next clue. I imagine it whooshed by the players in the same way.

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

The 3 in this poll i didn't get were:

IM JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN for $1600 and POETS & POETRY for $1200: I really should have gotten both of these, as I have flash cards for both Thomas Wolfe and Oliver Wendell Holmes. I felt I needed at least Wolfe''s name to muster You Can't Go Home Again, but I have no excuse for not getting the poem.
OWH > "Old Ironsides" is the main Pavlov.

ENGLISH MONARCH for $1600: I also said Elizabeth I, and when that was negged, I wasnt sure how early Magellan's voyages started (I knew it wouldn't be later than Elizabeth's reign) so I didn't want to guess between Mary, Edward, Henry VIII, VII or maybe even earlier.

LT total: $13000 - DD2 + DD3 + correct FJ = seems good to me :D
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:05 pm
IM JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN for $1600 and POETS & POETRY for $1200: I really should have gotten both of these, as I have flash cards for both Thomas Wolfe and Oliver Wendell Holmes. I felt I needed at least Wolfe's name to muster You Can't Go Home Again, but I have no excuse for not getting the poem.
Psssst! If you change "Hardy" to "Wolfe" quickly enough, maybe no one will notice the mistake!
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
IM JUST THE "GO" BETWEEN for $1600 and POETS & POETRY for $1200: I really should have gotten both of these, as I have flash cards for both Thomas Wolfe and Oliver Wendell Holmes. I felt I needed at least Wolfe's name to muster You Can't Go Home Again, but I have no excuse for not getting the poem.
Psssst! If you change "Hardy" to "Wolfe" quickly enough, maybe no one will notice the mistake!
Whatever do you mean! It was Wolfe the whole time, you must be mistaken. :roll:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Whatever do you mean! It was Wolfe the whole time, you must be mistaken. :roll:
I figured as much. My eyes must be playing tricks on me again.

Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

$5,000 and a correct FJ I guess gets me a win, technically, but going 1/3 in the DDs might have done me in (St. Augustine was on the tip of my tongue, but unfortunately Aaron's delay leaves me no doubt that I wouldn't have had time to cough it up).

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.4k games
Alpaca Farm: 1578 quizzes