Who says "35" was never reported as the passing score?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Who says "35" was never reported as the passing score?

Post by Robert K S »

A reddit post referencing this April 1, 1999 show ad advertising "Family Tournament" auditions in NYC the week of May 10, 1999 (which turned into Kids Week when the kids did well enough not to need their parental units) led me to find this February 20, 1999 newspaper clipping with the following helpful information:
Three groups of 70 adults (210 total) will be given a written test of 50 questions. Those who score 35 or better will play a game. Producers will be looking for players with poise, confidence, accuracy, personality and ability to follow instructions.

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Who says "35" was never reported as the passing score?

Post by floridagator »

There was also an article in Sports Illustrated decades ago that reported 35 is the passing score 70%
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

At least one of the J! PC games that I had back in the early 2000s came with a sample contestant exam that said that 35 was a passing score. Though it's possible that it meant it as a rule of thumb.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

If you're really wondering "who says", well look through plenty of old posts on this board and there are plenty who said it could be anything, we'll never know.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am just glad they never had family tournaments.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think we're about to get a taste of what they might have been like with the "National College Championship"

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:33 am
I think we're about to get a taste of what they might have been like with the "National College Championship"
that bad taste is still in my mouth from the All-Star games

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:13 am
I am just glad they never had family tournaments.
With color-coordinated team sweatshirts!

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Why was it ever in dispute that in the '90s, the contestant coordinators always announced that a passing mark on the written test was 35 out of 50. This was reported in newspapers at the time, for example, the link to a 1992 Toledo Blade article in this thread: https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=36959

Also a Globe and Mail article from December 2000, which I came across just now in a Google search: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... le1044405/

Typically the contestant coordinators would say (I'm paraphrasing): "We're going to read the names of everyone who scored 35 or more. We won't tell anyone what their actual score was, so if we don't call your name you are free to assume that your score was 34 and you can tell all your friends that you just missed it by one, ha ha ha."

At some point in the '00s they stopped saying what score constituted a passing grade, so it was open to speculation whether the number remained a constant 35, or did they use some kind of curve, or change it from year to year.

Edited to add: there's also this LA Times article from 1989: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
"AT A “Jeopardy!” contestant search in Hollywood, 90 hopefuls showed up on a recent Tuesday morning. Three obstacles stood between them and an appearance on “Jeopardy!”: a written quiz, a practice game and a personal interview. The written test consists of 50 questions and is revised every three months. Each question is shown on a television monitor while Alex Trebek’s voice is heard reading it aloud. What building, applicants might be asked, appears on the back of an American $20 bill? What’s the name of the small blue creatures that star on a Saturday morning TV program? They have 10 seconds to respond, and answers don’t have to be phrased in the form of questions. According to a “Jeopardy!” press kit, 70%--or 35 right--is a passing grade. A show spokesman says the test knocks out 80% of all comers."
That link was posted on jboard in April 2019 and in October 2019.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sometime in the mid ‘00s, I took a ten question quiz at a Brain Bus event and was asked to come back the next day for a full test. It was 50 questions and they said those getting 35 right got to stay for the audition. They also made the joke about telling people you got 34. I didn’t pass but I remember seeing one person there as a one and done player on TV.

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:07 am
Sometime in the mid ‘00s, I took a ten question quiz at a Brain Bus event and was asked to come back the next day for a full test. It was 50 questions and they said those getting 35 right got to stay for the audition. They also made the joke about telling people you got 34. I didn’t pass but I remember seeing one person there as a one and done player on TV.
And on those, the 70% barrier was also in effect.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah I don't think it was ever people saying 35 was "never" reported, just that for a number of years (maybe coincidiing with the introduction of the onlinetest but that's just a guess) they seemed to stop saying the number publicly so it was open to speculation. Based on the 2019 article I guess somewhere around then they decided there was no need for secrecy and started mentioning the 35 again.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I seem to recall a contestant coordinator or other member of TPTB once stating on the record (it may even be in that 25th anniversary book) that "we have never announced what a passing score is" or "we never announce a passing score" or something to that effect.

To my mind, most likely, the passing score has always been 35 but they stopped saying as much because they don't want to have to deal with arguments at the in-person auditions.

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Robert K S wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:56 pm
I seem to recall a contestant coordinator or other member of TPTB once stating on the record (it may even be in that 25th anniversary book) that "we have never announced what a passing score is" or "we never announce a passing score" or something to that effect.
You may be thinking of one of a number of similar statements that have appeared on the Jeopardy! website since the inception of the online test:
2006 - Online Contestant Test Overview

After the Test

The tests will be graded. Whether you pass or not, JEOPARDY! never reveals actual test scores. Depending on the number of people who achieve a passing score, a random selection process may need to be implemented. [...]
2010 - Contestant FAQs

How do I know if I passed the Online Test?

The Jeopardy! contestant department never reveals test scores. Only applicants who have passed the test will be invited to an audition. [...]
2015 - Be a Contestant FAQs

WILL I RECEIVE MY TEST RESULTS?

The Jeopardy! Contestant Department will not send your score. You will know if you passed the test if you are contacted by a member of the Jeopardy! Contestant Department.
2020 - Contestant FAQs

WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY TEST RESULTS?

Jeopardy! never reveals test scores. Only passing scores are submitted to be considered for an audition.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

No, I'm referring to an answer to an interview question specifically as to what the passing threshold is, and someone saying "we've never revealed that".

That's my memory, at least. I'm not going to take the time to hunt for it just at this moment, but when I next come across it, I'll post it back to this thread.

Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

You may be referring to my post on the January 2017 Phoenix auditions, in which Corina would not confirm any passing score, and when pressed as to why, she simply said "there are reasons."

Empirically it is pretty clear that the passing score remains ~35. Very few people who have reported here a score less than 35 have received in-person auditions, among them Seaborgium, as I recall. Perhaps the coordinators had mercy on him because they divined that he would be a champion, though that seems all too prescient on their part.

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Over the past two years, 36 is the low score for getting an audition invite from reported scores on this board

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeffreygallup wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:25 am
Empirically it is pretty clear that the passing score remains ~35. Very few people who have reported here a score less than 35 have received in-person auditions, among them Seaborgium, as I recall. Perhaps the coordinators had mercy on him because they divined that he would be a champion, though that seems all too prescient on their part.
I only auditioned once, and that was in August 2007, after an online test in January. I've never known specifically how well I did on that test, beyond what could be inferred from getting an audition invite out of it. The last time I know of that I got less than 35 right on a test was in January 2009, when I decided enough time had passed since my audition (count the months!) that the contestant coordinators wouldn't mind if I took the test again. I got 34 right, but The Call came the following month and rescued me from any lasting regrets. To assert that I had 34 for a passing score is to assert that an online test directly got me on the show without needing to audition, which, just no.

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:37 am
Jeffreygallup wrote:
I only auditioned once, and that was in August 2007, after an online test in January. I've never known specifically how well I did on that test, beyond what could be inferred from getting an audition invite out of it. The last time I know of that I got less than 35 right on a test was in January 2009, when I decided enough time had passed since my audition (count the months!) that the contestant coordinators wouldn't mind if I took the test again. I got 34 right, but The Call came the following month and rescued me from any lasting regrets. To assert that I had 34 for a passing score is to assert that an online test directly got me on the show without needing to audition, which, just no.
especially considering it's a random draw of those who pass the test.

With your 34/50 score, is it possible you mis-scored your test? If you have any memory of the questions/answers, do you think there was a question on that test they may have thrown out due to error or other issue, thus allowing your 34 to be a passing score for that test?

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:39 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:37 am
Jeffreygallup wrote:
especially considering it's a random draw of those who pass the test.

With your 34/50 score, is it possible you mis-scored your test? If you have any memory of the questions/answers, do you think there was a question on that test they may have thrown out due to error or other issue, thus allowing your 34 to be a passing score for that test?
Try reading the post again, slowly. The 34 didn't get him an audition, so there is no need for speculation about possible mis-scoring.