Thursday, March 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Thursday, March 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:
bpmod wrote:I was going to make that correction earlier, but I figured he meant it as I experienced it. That is, the only Blue Oyster Cult song I could come up with was (Don't Fear) The Reaper, and I couldn't for the life of me pair it with You Light Up My Life, even though I should have recognized the lyrics were not from (Don't Fear) The Reaper.

Brian
Thank you for clearing up my post well. You got it right.
Actually, I should come clean on that, too. This should have been a wheelhouse category for me, but I think I only got two of them, Achy-Breaky Heart Of Glass & Light My Fire And Rain. I was almost able to piece together Rain In Spain with that Milli thing, but I wasn't able to parse even Private Eyes in time and would never have gotten the Eyes Without A Face part. Well, at least not in regular gameplay. It probably would have made a pretty gettable FJ!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

I would have gotten 'Private Eyes Without a Face' if only I'd registered Billy Idol, not Billy Joel. :oops:
Sage on the Hudson

John showed a lot of mocks-y

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

DWS wrote:I went with "Lolita" for FJ even though I knew it came later than 1928. I have heard of the book that was the correct FJ response but I did not know enough to get me there.
And I went with Lawrence's "Women in Love," which seemed the best fit. Of course, had I remembered that that book was published in 1920, I might've pushed further into the author's oeuvre.

alietr wrote:I guess we have our first Move Mocker Jeopardy Champion.
John's stated profession brought to mind this exchange from Richard Lester's 1964 film, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT:

WOMAN AT PARTY (To Ringo Starr): "Are you a Mod, or a Rocker?"

RINGO: "Actually, I'm a Mocker."

I'll be John's never mocked that movie.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Johnblue wrote:It was great to see a show with 3 fine contestants! I was surprised spinning Jenny was a TS but I'm fine with the rest of the game. I knew FJ right away so I'm 3/4 this week.
Just a tough subject, I guess. Below is from the "Who's Special Relaunch" two months ago (Industrial Revolution category). Note the number of clams, despite the slightly longer "think" time. (4 days as opposed to approx 4 seconds, if you count from clue reveal to timer-out)

4. Samuel Crompton combined a water frame and a Spinning Jenny to make this spinning "cousin" to a jenny.
Answer: spinning mule

for the record, a jenny is a female donkey. A mule is the offspring of a mare and a male donkey. A hinny would be the product of a jenny and a stallion.
Correct: gamawire, cbec, boson
Incorrect: LeFlaneur (loom), Lefty (wheel of catherine)
Clam: barandall800, Woof, ayeembored, MarkBarrett, amorris525, dmleach, econgator, billy pilgrim, mitchparov, Turd Ferguson, dhkendall, spell4yr, sherder, Bamaman, opusthepenguin, thejeopardyfan, RandyG, xxaaaxx, cheezguyty, jeff6286, bpmod
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

harrumph wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
econgator wrote:Not so much as a guess for FJ.
Same here. Thought it might be Hemmingway, but couldn't think of a novel that fit. If I were at the podium, I'd slap down "Great Gatsby," even though I know it's wrong.
I'd have gone with Fitzgerald but I knew damn well that's his wife's name was Zelda.
That's one of two reasons I knew it was wrong; the other is that it was published before 1928. Had to read the darn thing in high school (this was right after the dreck movie version came out), knew it was several years before the stock crash. Chatterley never came into frame.

Like others, I'm stinking out the joint in FJs this week, with Gandhi my only salvation.
BoK

Post by BoK »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Is it because he's a general? Because ya know, THERE ARE ONLY ABOUT FIFTY BILLION NOTABLE GENERALS.
He was a potential Presidential candidate and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, which is a MAJOR Cabinet position. You should know him on sight.
To nitpick, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is not in the cabinet. Of course, Powell later was Secretary of State, which is a major cabinet position.
FistPump
Contributor

Post by FistPump »

My DVR obviously cut off right before the winner reveal - can someone post a screengrab of the double thumbs-up? Based on the individual in question, I have a feeling it was pretty funny.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:was there any TOM in the Colin Powell clue besides "here's a pic of him"?
They mentioned something about saluting him.
I didn't see the show, but it seems a picture of somebody who was in the news a lot the last ten years would be all you need.

EDIT...Just read past econ's post to see the topic has already been beaten to death.

Played FJ from here, but to no avail. My only thought was Gatsby, even though I knew he was married to Zelda and the book was older than that.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:was there any TOM in the Colin Powell clue besides "here's a pic of him"?
They mentioned something about saluting him.
Still doesn't help. The first several hits I found for "Colin Powell" + "Salute" didn't even have the latter word in them, so the connection is really not apparent to me. There are tons of people who can be saluted. Explain further?
One of the most famous generals of the modern era. One of the major commanding officers throughout our military involvements in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Later Secretary of State. Other than that, no reason why anyone would know his name or recognize his photo.
BobF

Post by BobF »

CyrusChan wrote:Hasn't it been mentioned before W Bush is the only prez with an MBA?
Wouldn't know it from his fiscal policies.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

It was indeed a pleasure to see three contestants all do so well, racking up almost $50K going into FJ. Don't see that every day.

Congrats to John on his fine, sole-get FJ win.

Once again, third place shows no clue how to wager. Assuming rational wagers by the leaders, her only hope is for both leaders to miss, in which case she wins with a wager of no more than $6,200. Instead, she seems to have picked a nice round number out of thin air. Even though John's sole get meant her wager didn't cost her the win, it still did cost her the extra thou for 2nd place. Oh well.

I also thought "Crown Victoria" was way overvalued at $2K, especially with all the TOM in the clue. And if Bobby agrees, then, well....

Another "older-guy" moment made me smile. I'm not QUITE old enough to have used a spinning jenny (or even to have watched someone use one in my youth) but at least I recognized it for $1K Lach Trash.

And another FJ that I didn't KNOW-know but was able to figure out from context. Came up with Chatterly almost immediately and never considered another choice. After an 0/2 start this week, I'm now a more respectable 2/4.
Hannah S.
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Hannah S. »

bomtr wrote: John, if lurking here you be, I am curious about your movie mocking. Is it professional, and if so, which group are you with? I'm purely an amateur, but I'm pretty damn good at movie mocking myself, and it's something I enjoy with my son a lot. And just to start a conversation, tell me you've seen The Room and you know the work of Tommy Wiseau.
I believe he does it professionally at the Alamo Drafthouse... funnily enough, The Room did come up in conversation that day. I am trying to remember when but I think someone asked him about the worst film he'd ever seen. (Calling that a film is really generous, though!)

Thanks bpmod for the well wishes..
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

FistPump wrote:My DVR obviously cut off right before the winner reveal - can someone post a screengrab of the double thumbs-up? Based on the individual in question, I have a feeling it was pretty funny.
Here you go:

If you need anything else, let me know.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bpmod wrote:
FistPump wrote:My DVR obviously cut off right before the winner reveal - can someone post a screengrab of the double thumbs-up? Based on the individual in question, I have a feeling it was pretty funny.
Here you go:

Brian
That looks uncannily like he's resting his fists on the dollar amount.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:
bpmod wrote:Here you go:
[image clipped]

Brian
That looks uncannily like he's resting his fists on the dollar amount.
Of course it does. They added the amount before he put his fists there.

Brian

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Boy wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: One of the most famous generals of the modern era. One of the major commanding officers throughout our military involvements in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Later Secretary of State. Other than that, no reason why anyone would know his name or recognize his photo.
The number of black generals that are well known is a pretty short list. Or maybe TPH didn't know he is black.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Bamaman wrote:
John Boy wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: One of the most famous generals of the modern era. One of the major commanding officers throughout our military involvements in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Later Secretary of State. Other than that, no reason why anyone would know his name or recognize his photo.
The number of black generals that are well known is a pretty short list. Or maybe TPH didn't know he is black.
He didn't. Then he learned, then he forgot/chose to ignore the info.
He's just annoyingly proficient at posts like that...where he discovers, then repeats, the things that make someone notable/worthy of mention on Jeopardy!...but then completely misses the point of everything. 'I GET that Winston Churchill did all that stuff...but what makes him so famous? He's just another fat English guy who smoked cigars and looked like a bulldog(and I wouldn't even recognize a picture of a bulldog, because in case you've never read every other post I've ever made, I have photo-that thing-ness-esia').
(Next he'll probably wonder why, if Powell is on the list of famous generals, then why would George Washington be included, since he's not even black?) :roll:
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

60 Minutes is going to do a segment on TPH's affliction this Sunday. Also, apparently "Tarzan" from Survivor has the same problem. I have trouble recognizing people I know out of context - like a co- worker from the office at the supermarket.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Onairb wrote:He didn't. Then he learned, then he forgot/chose to ignore the info.
He's just annoyingly proficient at posts like that...where he discovers, then repeats, the things that make someone notable/worthy of mention on Jeopardy!...but then completely misses the point of everything. 'I GET that Winston Churchill did all that stuff...but what makes him so famous? He's just another fat English guy who smoked cigars and looked like a bulldog(and I wouldn't even recognize a picture of a bulldog, because in case you've never read every other post I've ever made, I have photo-that thing-ness-esia').
(Next he'll probably wonder why, if Powell is on the list of famous generals, then why would George Washington be included, since he's not even black?) :roll:
You know... you can ignore him.

As annoying as I find TPH's rants, especially on this particular thread, it doesn't come anywhere near the annoyance of you constantly harping about it.

Please people, understand that some people are not as smart as you are at certain things. Or maybe they don't have the same level of talent in the same area. I have found myself agreeing with TPH more often than I generally vocalize here. I stay mostly quiet because I know that to bring attention to it will invoke the wrath, or at least ridicule, of certain members here. But I have developed that insight from 25 years of life experience that TPH doesn't have. I tend to think that a gentle nudge in the general direction is much more effective than a barrage of criticism. If he ignores the nudge, or worse, keeps asking for more, you've done your part.

Brian

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thumbs up to whoever mentioned The Room. I saw The Nostalgia Critic's review, and read about the movie in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. The Room is just… amazing in how incompetent it is.