Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 pm I flipped the Kosman Koin for the southern gothic writer and it landed on Carson McCullers.
I went with Ann Rice. She's about as southern gothic as it gets to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 pm I flipped the Kosman Koin for the southern gothic writer and it landed on Carson McCullers.
I went with Ann Rice. She's about as southern gothic as it gets to me.
There's your problem: you confused a southerner who writes gothic fiction with southern gothic. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

51 for Golden Gate? I was guessing that one would be in the 90s. Serious mental miscalculation on that one since I like guessing the overall percent (not that it mattered for me; I got beered).

For aa and pahoepahoe, I was curious what people guessed if they didn't know it, especially since there was no MCWA.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am 51 for Golden Gate? I was guessing that one would be in the 90s. Serious mental miscalculation on that one since I like guessing the overall percent (not that it mattered for me; I got beered).

For aa and pahoepahoe, I was curious what people guessed if they didn't know it, especially since there was no MCWA.
I was one of the MCW for Golden Gate, guessing Alcatraz Strait.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

SBurrus wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 am
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am 51 for Golden Gate? I was guessing that one would be in the 90s. Serious mental miscalculation on that one since I like guessing the overall percent (not that it mattered for me; I got beered).

Not wholly unreasonable. Fun fact: Alcatraz island got its name, which means albatross in Spanish, because it had a rookery when the Spanish first settled there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:31 am

Not wholly unreasonable. Fun fact: Alcatraz island got its name, which means albatross in Spanish, because it had a rookery when the Spanish first settled there.
Got to work in pelicans there somewhere.

#5996, aired 2010-10-11 LET'S CALL TRIPLE "A" $400: In 1775 this island in San Francisco Bay was called "Island of the Pelicans"
#4372, aired 2003-09-16 THE PELICAN BRIEF $1200: "Isle of the Pelicans" is the English translation of the name of this former federal prison
#4124, aired 2002-07-04 ALCATRAZ-A-MATAZZ $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports.) The name Alcatraz is derived from the Spanish for "island of" these birds, that come in brown & white varities
#3873, aired 2001-06-06 PEN NAMES $400: This island whose name means "pelican" was first used as the site of a prison in 1859 Alcatraz
#2959, aired 1997-06-12 U.S. GEOGRAPHY $100: Once the site of a famous prison, this California island was named for its large pelican population
#1744, aired 1992-03-12 NOTORIOUS $200: The Spanish name for this site of a former federal prison means "island of the pelicans"
#280, aired 1985-10-04 ISLANDS $600: Spanish for "pelican", but appropriately called "The Rock" by its inhabitants

I got the proper 0 for Golden Gate and eked out a tie with 6(4)-6(5) as I did not know the two most difficult ones while defending correctly that House would give my opponent the most difficulty.

Crowded House for me getting the music and afterwards recalled House of Pain thanks to countdown and year in review shows I watch on AXS TV.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got my second straight tie yesterday. I nearly gave the Rosa Luxemburg question a 3 (I had never heard of her), but thankfully I switched it to a 2 and made House the 3 (pop music was my opponent's worst category, but I didn't have that question pegged as being that difficult).

Cool stat for me: for the first time in my LL career I have made it to the halfway point of the season without having fewer than 2 correct answers on any MD (this still holds true even if you call MD 12 the halfway point). I doubt that I can keep the streak going until the end of season but I will do my best!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 am
Woof wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:31 am

Got to work in pelicans there somewhere.

#5996, aired 2010-10-11 LET'S CALL TRIPLE "A" $400: In 1775 this island in San Francisco Bay was called "Island of the Pelicans"
#4372, aired 2003-09-16 THE PELICAN BRIEF $1200: "Isle of the Pelicans" is the English translation of the name of this former federal prison
#4124, aired 2002-07-04 ALCATRAZ-A-MATAZZ $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports.) The name Alcatraz is derived from the Spanish for "island of" these birds, that come in brown & white varities
#3873, aired 2001-06-06 PEN NAMES $400: This island whose name means "pelican" was first used as the site of a prison in 1859 Alcatraz
#2959, aired 1997-06-12 U.S. GEOGRAPHY $100: Once the site of a famous prison, this California island was named for its large pelican population
#1744, aired 1992-03-12 NOTORIOUS $200: The Spanish name for this site of a former federal prison means "island of the pelicans"
#280, aired 1985-10-04 ISLANDS $600: Spanish for "pelican", but appropriately called "The Rock" by its inhabitants

I got the proper 0 for Golden Gate and eked out a tie with 6(4)-6(5) as I did not know the two most difficult ones while defending correctly that House would give my opponent the most difficulty.

Crowded House for me getting the music and afterwards recalled House of Pain thanks to countdown and year in review shows I watch on AXS TV.
Damn! You’re right, Mark. That’s what I get for not fact checking my posts and relying instead on 50-year old memories from school field trips :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am 51 for Golden Gate? I was guessing that one would be in the 90s.
51 was shocking, but I wouldn't have thought 90s. I would have guessed 80%.

I only missed Luxemburg yesterday with the MCWA of Franz. Still got the win and I'm in good shape as we've crested the halfway point of the season. I just realized that for the second straight season my MD25 opponent is FrankJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am 51 for Golden Gate? I was guessing that one would be in the 90s.

I only missed Luxemburg yesterday with the MCWA of Franz. Still got the win and I'm in good shape as we've crested the halfway point of the season. I just realized that for the second straight season my MD25 opponent is FrankJ!
I had Liechtenstein for that one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:21 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 pm

I had Liechtenstein for that one.
My miss was Gris since I knew there was a male one, Juan.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I guessed poi but "substance" made me pretty sure that was incorrect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mrparadise wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

I guessed poi but "substance" made me pretty sure that was incorrect.
I guessed bread. I thought about poi, but not about lava. I also avoided it because of the 'substance' hint. I thought the words might be native American and I don't even know if they made bread. Another hit to my science score on something that should be a language category :).

Golden Gate Strait was a surprise reveal and I don't think is generally known beyond the trivia aspect. Something pre-Gold rush days should have had a Spanish name and Embarcadero sounds pretty embark-y and disembark-y. The bridge that twelvefootgirl and I jogged across just ought to have been named for the gold rush, not the nautical connection.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I had Luxembourg but decided to go with "Greiss" at the last moment. There is a German NHL player with that name, though the pronunciation might not be a homophone of "Greece"

I was surprised the "Aa", "Pahoehoe" correct % was as high as it was. Did people get it mostly from Scrabble? I guessed alcohol
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bluejaylink wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 am I was surprised the "Aa", "Pahoehoe" correct % was as high as it was. Did people get it mostly from Scrabble? I guessed alcohol
I think it's just a bit of a common trivia trope that the Hawaiian language has many words for different types of lava (actually, upon looking it up, it seems those are the two basic types they recognize).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 am
bluejaylink wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 am I was surprised the "Aa", "Pahoehoe" correct % was as high as it was. Did people get it mostly from Scrabble? I guessed alcohol
I think it's just a bit of a common trivia trope that the Hawaiian language has many words for different types of lava (actually, upon looking it up, it seems those are the two basic types they recognize).
It was also a LL question not too much prior.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am For aa and pahoepahoe, I was curious what people guessed if they didn't know it, especially since there was no MCWA.
I guessed snow.

Looks like Thorsten is taking off the entire Thanksgiving week.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm Looks like Thorsten is taking off the entire Thanksgiving week.
Had I known, I wouldn't have checked the page just now (I try not to look at Friday's results until I have a chance to redeem myself). But I did actually manage an ugly win (at least, it wasn't conventionally beautiful), as my opponent evidently didn't know I used to play a lot of Scrabble. So three points for aa; one more than it usually scores.

I sort of almost said Rosa Lichtenstein, but it didn't figure that there should be two famous Lichtensteins (R. LIchtensteins, even). With plenty of time to think, I thought, and I knew Luxemburg was right once I did think of it.

I hadn't known that the Golden Gate bridge spans the Golden Gate but now that I do, it makes a lot of sense.

So, no Learned League to think about. How am I expected to face Monday?
I'm smart and I want respect.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I only missed Luxemburg Friday, after narrowing that down to Lux, Liechtenstein, and France/Frantz. I went with Frantz because, although I understand that they are homophones, the thought that just leaving out the o was what made it a homophone struck me as odd. I play a lot of poker, tata I first heard of through Top Gear and the car angle, and also the steel company. Golden Gate was an educated guess as I knew the bridge spanned that straight and the timing was right for something gold related. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to remember House of Pain sang Jump Around, then realized I knew the 80s song which was sung by a band with house in its name. I'm a civil engineer who has studied volcanoes as well, so that one was easy as well.

No trivia for a week? oh man, guess I need to play HQ....
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 am
MattKnowles wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm Looks like Thorsten is taking off the entire Thanksgiving week.
So, no Learned League to think about. How am I expected to face Monday?
Clearly Thorston's just after some uninterrupted Shadowlands time.
More impressive he was able to accurately predict the delay and reschedule of the launch :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)