Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by StevenH »

StevenH wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 am Cool stat for me: for the first time in my LL career I have made it to the halfway point of the season without having fewer than 2 correct answers on any MD (this still holds true even if you call MD 12 the halfway point). I doubt that I can keep the streak going until the end of season but I will do my best!
It was fun while it lasted, but the streak came to an end for me yesterday in a 0(1)-2(1) loss. My only get was Sputnik.

I thought I had the Petronas question with my answer of PETRO. I can't believe that I didn't think to add the last 3 letters, given the famous towers. I still would have lost, though. I agree that it was a beautifully written question.

I couldn't think of any Canadian actor other than Rick Moranis. I knew that he had come out of retirement a little bit over the last few years and done some voice work, but I was pretty sure that it was not for anything as big budget as a Toy Story movie.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

Had my first day of LL87 with no correct answers. I was sure Comrade was the correct answer for #1, not picking up on the clue about the 1950s. Needless to say, I lost in both my regular rundle and was blown away in my private rundle, 0(0)-8(5).
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ouachiouat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:40 am I LOVED Q4 yesterday. At first glance I was thinking "How the stink am I supposed to know Malaysia's gas company's name? Why is that even on here?" And then it clicked. Questions like that are why I love LL.
yeah, that was a facepalm after I saw the answer, so obvious...love those questions.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

What phrase is most commonly used in economics and finance for the purchase of the equity of a given firm using funds acquired in large part via borrowing? (Either the phrase or its standard three-letter abbreviation is acceptable.)

I thought "sounds like leveraging" and have heard of a leveraged buyout, but never heard the "three-letter abbreviation" used for it, and well, thought of leveraged buyout as two words.

Name the Canadian actor who voiced Canadian daredevil action figure Duke Caboom in the 2019 film Toy Story 4.

I was trying to think of who played Daredevil, and all I could come up with is Ben Afflek, and I know he's not Canadian.

Surprised at only 47% for Watermelon Sugar, I can't seem to get away from that song.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am What phrase is most commonly used in economics and finance for the purchase of the equity of a given firm using funds acquired in large part via borrowing? (Either the phrase or its standard three-letter abbreviation is acceptable.)

I thought "sounds like leveraging" and have heard of a leveraged buyout, but never heard the "three-letter abbreviation" used for it, and well, thought of leveraged buyout as two words.

Name the Canadian actor who voiced Canadian daredevil action figure Duke Caboom in the 2019 film Toy Story 4.

I was trying to think of who played Daredevil, and all I could come up with is Ben Afflek, and I know he's not Canadian.

Surprised at only 47% for Watermelon Sugar, I can't seem to get away from that song.
I’m probably in the vast minority who lucked into it from the Brautigan reference.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:47 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am What phrase is most commonly used in economics and finance for the purchase of the equity of a given firm using funds acquired in large part via borrowing? (Either the phrase or its standard three-letter abbreviation is acceptable.)

I’m probably in the vast minority who lucked into it from the Brautigan reference.
Neither one rang the tiniest bell for me.

I actually got credit for "buying on margin".
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:47 am I’m probably in the vast minority who lucked into it from the Brautigan reference.
Neither one rang the tiniest bell for me.

I actually got credit for "buying on margin".
I got credit for "bought on margin"
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Yesterday was one of those serendipitous days where I didn't need to think too much about any of the questions. I was pretty surprised to see the overall low get rate this morning as I pretty much insta-got the 5 I answered correctly (in about 5 minutes of think time) and lets face it, I'm only in C.
Q1: Russian word from the 1950s...if it ain't Sputnik, I got nothing else. Comrade never came to mind but is that even a Russian word??
Q2: Ok, I know this one...buying with mortgages...Leveraged buy out. This one took the longest to pop in my head
Q3: Haven't seen TS4. Ok, canadian actors....Mike Myers? Sure, sounds like he'd be a good candidate. Oops...I remember hearing that Keanu was in there but not sure I ever would've gotten it.
Q4: Malaysian petroleum company?? WTF...oh wait, Petronas Towers. Petro, gas. Check!
Q5: Have I mentioned I have teen/pre-teen daughters??? Although the first sentence was a shock to my system with all that lit nonsense.
Q6: Mexican boxcars is a dominoes game, I know that for sure. NHO the others.
Only 3 of my 38 person rundle got 5 right and no beers...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:36 pm Yesterday was one of those serendipitous days where I didn't need to think too much about any of the questions. I was pretty surprised to see the overall low get rate this morning as I pretty much insta-got the 5 I answered correctly (in about 5 minutes of think time) and lets face it, I'm only in C.
Q1: Russian word from the 1950s...if it ain't Sputnik, I got nothing else. Comrade never came to mind but is that even a Russian word??
Q2: Ok, I know this one...buying with mortgages...Leveraged buy out. This one took the longest to pop in my head
Q3: Haven't seen TS4. Ok, canadian actors....Mike Myers? Sure, sounds like he'd be a good candidate. Oops...I remember hearing that Keanu was in there but not sure I ever would've gotten it.
Q4: Malaysian petroleum company?? WTF...oh wait, Petronas Towers. Petro, gas. Check!
Q5: Have I mentioned I have teen/pre-teen daughters??? Although the first sentence was a shock to my system with all that lit nonsense.
Q6: Mexican boxcars is a dominoes game, I know that for sure. NHO the others.
Only 3 of my 38 person rundle got 5 right and no beers...
Not that I spent much time thinking about it, but I could not recall Reeves (even though I saw the movie) and wrote Ryan Reynolds. There I go again with a first name. :)

Playing fast I saw "muggins" and had cribbage without really considering all the other information there. 4W against 2W was enough for my first legitimate win of the season as I only had a forfeit win prior to it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Definitely a tough day. I only got three right and was expecting to lose, but managed to pull out a 5(3)-2(3) win. My rundle had only one six-pack.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Comrade in Russian is "tovarisch".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 pm Comrade in Russian is "tovarisch".
Da, Tovarisch. :mrgreen:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

JboardLite rundle standings, stats for the 4th quinticle........

ClassicRoadster took control from morbeedo on MD16 and held for 3 days. A 15 for 18 run the last three days puts morbeedo back on top with 30 points to CR's 29. Armandillo is back at 25 and still mathematically in the race. Bamaman is a couple more back but even running the table will require some meltdown from the top two with only 10 points to get.

Six-packs:
ClassicRoadster MD16
morbeedo MD17

Singletons:
golf hole - ClassicRoadster
Ibiza - morbeedo- eta fake news, bad bookkeeping :)
Upanishads - morbeedo (13% leaguewide)

Doubletons:
Peggy Gugenheim
Octavia E. Butler
Keneau Reeves
Petronas

Sweeps (10/10):
Theodore Roosevelt / Panama Canal
Mickey Mouse
Hubble telescope

Skunks:
(none)

Goat Horns: (prevented JBL sweep)
Enron - twelvefootbro
Labor pains - morbeedo
Reuters - twelvefootsis1

It's been a pretty tepid season for me so I'll be content to avoid the goat horns in the JBL if I can. I've landed very few surprise gets on the reveal and have way too many surprise rejections. Comrade instead of Sputnik comes to mind.
In my D rundle I am in the relegation zone at 26th (of 30) but my schedule looks soft with only a 12th place opponent having a winning record. Just bring on some science questions....
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There are two kinds of LL misses when you see the answer -- Huh? and D'oh! Barefoot Contessa and Sydney Opera House were D'oh's. I never got down to Australia, I stayed in the U.S., Ireland, and Scotland and never got anywhere. I knew her nickname, but it did not come to me. Got a tie due to poor D, alas.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Food Network can be credited with helping me win on MD21. Back when my mom was alive, she used to love watching Food Network...and one of her favorite shows was The Barefoot Contessa with Ina Garten. When a clue referencing Ina Garten appeared on MD21, the only thing I could think of was The Barefoot Contessa; I was unaware there was actually a film by that name or that Garten was in the Office of Management and Budget in the 1970s. I was able to chalk 5(3)-2(2) victories in both my regular and private rundle on MD21.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I know there's usually more to those movie questions than remembering what won the Best Picture Oscar that year, but I was still hopeful because Southampton is on the waterfront after all.
I'm smart and I want respect.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Definitely got Barefoot Contessa from Food Network, my wife and kids watched that show quite a bit. I always thought she was a closet serial killer... That one had a higher get rate than I expected as I didn't really see any way into it other than through the show. I hadn't heard of the movie either as others have mentioned.
Didn't have a ton of confidence in Sydney with the whole clans reference, but in the end it was kind of WECIB. I won 5(4) - 4(2), with my two misses being MCWA (tripoli and slaughterhouse 5). Armandillo did get me 5(4)-6(4) on another slightly better bad defense day!
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:03 am Ibiza - morbeedo
Ahem.... :D
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I could not for the life of me remember the name of that Vonnegut novel other than Slaughterhouse-Five and Player Piano that I learned in my quiz bowl studies. I spent about half the day trying to think of it before I gave up. It's a good thing that I am working from home now, given my reaction when I saw the correct answer.

Funny that the Lawrence Welk question came up. I just read up on him a few days ago. It helped me to a 5(4)-4(4) win.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I ended up with a tie yesterday, but it was an especially galling tie: 9(6)-9(5). My opponent missed Cat's Cradle. :o
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I've heard of the Barefoot Contessa, but never knew anything about it. When I saw the name Ina Garten, all I could think of was "Ina Garten of Eden...don't you know that I'm lovin' you"

from there I just went with East of Eden knowing the movie was at the right timeframe. I never heard of the movie or the store.

For the opera house question, after seeing the words "clan" and "nation" I got stuck on native American in area, and since there was also that part about "waters meet", I went with the Gateway Arch as I didn't know exactly when it opened, but figured that was close.