Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by mennoknight »

The bowling one took me a lot longer than it should've. I worked at *THREE* different bowling alleys as a teenager, but only one had 10 pin; and made it to the Canadian Youth Bowling team National Championships twice. The score for those rolls in 5 pin could've been so many things, since each pin is worth a different amount. Felt very stupid once I realized it was 10-pin.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8948
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by econgator »

16% of people think the Hoover Dam is a body of water?

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2367
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by StevenH »

I had no idea on the comedian question, but I went with Dave Chappelle as a guess that seem as reasonable as any. It was the difference between a win and a loss!

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5087
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was shocked that Charlie Murphy wasn't the MCWA for Q5 yesterday. He was the person who actually told the Prince story on Chappelle's Show. I figured the odds were that the correct answer was Chappelle, but I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see Murphy as the correct answer.

I also got a kick out of 16% thinking the Hoover Dam is a body of water, too. :D

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am
16% of people think the Hoover Dam is a body of water?
Correction: 16% of LLamas. I'm afraid to extrapolate from that to gen pop.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by classicroadster »

11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2644
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by morbeedo »

I had to read the game show question a few times before homing in on Newlywed Game as the show that would award prizes to a couple

No credit for ARPNET- the omission of A cost me the match. Argh.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by triviawayne »

classicroadster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am
11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.
I thought that was a terrible question as those prizes could actually be awarded on any game show. I know the phrasing "especially for you" from Bob Eubanks was what TI was going for when he put "prizes chosen just for the winners" narrowed the answer, but still, the prizes could be on any show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by mahatma »

It looks like I was far from alone in failing to RTFQ for ARPANET. I was literally talking to myself about how DARPA created ARPANET, and worrying about spelling DARPA right. I always want to add a silent 'k'.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4783
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am
classicroadster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am
11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.
I thought that was a terrible question as those prizes could actually be awarded on any game show. I know the phrasing "especially for you" from Bob Eubanks was what TI was going for when he put "prizes chosen just for the winners" narrowed the answer, but still, the prizes could be on any show.
so to paraphrase..."I know why the specific words were chosen for the question, and why they pointed to the correct answer rather than any other game show, but I will declare it a terrible question anyway."

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am
classicroadster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am
11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.
I thought that was a terrible question as those prizes could actually be awarded on any game show. I know the phrasing "especially for you" from Bob Eubanks was what TI was going for when he put "prizes chosen just for the winners" narrowed the answer, but still, the prizes could be on any show.
so to paraphrase..."I know why the specific words were chosen for the question, and why they pointed to the correct answer rather than any other game show, but I will declare it a terrible question anyway."

so what game show prize coordinators chose high-value prizes specifically for the non-winners?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by SBurrus »

After going 8 match days in a row without a win (4 losses and 4 ties), I am now on a three-game win streak in Taiga E1 and have climbed from 26th place to 14th. Still below my career answer percentage for this season; it has been a rough go for me in LL this season.

Still in last place in my private rundle.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Blue Lion wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:57 pm
a spare is 10 plus the number of pins on the next roll. You get nothing for converting the spare in the 10th frame.
But you do get a third ball in the tenth frame for converting the spare, right? Check out the scenario shown in this example. The bowler gets a third ball in the tenth frame due to converting the spare: https://www.bowl.com/Welcome/Welcome_Ho ... ing_Score/ Seems like the correct answer is 190 (assuming the bowler continues to knock down nine pins), but I'll admit I've only bowled a handful of times in my life, so I'll defer to the experts!
You're right! Does Jboard have a corner I can stand in? And a dunce cap?

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4783
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 am
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am
classicroadster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am
11% on Newlywed Game? Probably the most surprised I've been in 14 seasons about a low get-rate. I suppose probably a lot of people snap answered TPIR and didn't go any further but Newlywed was the first thing I thought of, other than the dating game and those prizes felt not appropriate for that.

I've lost the ability to defend this season, so I lost 4(4)-6(3) to make my record when getting same # of questions or one more than my opponent 1-3-2 this season. Man, that is frustrating. Tiger and mimosa were layups, got Arpanet from watching The Americans where it dominated a whole season I feel like. Still in middle of the pack in my large C rundle.
I thought that was a terrible question as those prizes could actually be awarded on any game show. I know the phrasing "especially for you" from Bob Eubanks was what TI was going for when he put "prizes chosen just for the winners" narrowed the answer, but still, the prizes could be on any show.
so to paraphrase..."I know why the specific words were chosen for the question, and why they pointed to the correct answer rather than any other game show, but I will declare it a terrible question anyway."

so what game show prize coordinators chose high-value prizes specifically for the non-winners?
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. I suspect you might be inferring a different meaning of the word "just" than what I assumed the intent was.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:45 am
I had to read the game show question a few times before homing in on Newlywed Game as the show that would award prizes to a couple

No credit for ARPNET- the omission of A cost me the match. Argh.
At least you earned the W against me in the private rundle as I finally played proper defense with my 3(3) - 4(4) loss:). Good job, have a virtual mimosa on my virtual tab :lol: . I got credit for Darpanet, which was slightly controversial for a minute, but is the right call. I actually used it for thermodynamic calculations through McGill University in the early 80's, and I only knew it as Darpanet, but I wasn't the one doing the hacking. We connected with a TWX - Who remembers those?? 45 baud bandwidth, baby!!! I think it cost 2 or 3 bucks a minute back then.

Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm
Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
TPIR here; the prizes felt like a perfect showcase showdown description.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm
Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
TPIR here; the prizes felt like a perfect showcase showdown description.
The Showcase Showdown is where they spin the wheel. You speak of the Showcase.

I considered The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal, but both shows are currently on the air, which didn't square in my mind with the past-tense wording of the question. I ended up saying Sale of the Century.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11390
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm
Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
TPIR here; the prizes felt like a perfect showcase showdown description.
The Showcase Showdown is where they spin the wheel. You speak of the Showcase.

I considered The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal, but both shows are currently on the air, which didn't square in my mind with the past-tense wording of the question. I ended up saying Sale of the Century.
LMaD for me as could not figure it out after spending a minute on it. Expecting a zero on the question I figured a miss would not matter. That blankin' ToCer Jared Hall gave me a three on it and then missed the zero I gave him for Fatima. Both of us have to be both mad and happy on tying at 5 for the match.

For me I was very close to going with O'Connor and then flipped to Welty. :oops:

Relying on Food & Drink next to last on Jared's list I gave him a 2 for the mimosa. Bad move on my part as my defense failed me wasting my four right to his three correct.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm
Five of six boardies in the JBL rundle got the game show right, which had an 11% overall get rate. SMH. Seeing this thread gives me a little insight how. I went with Let's make a Deal as the prizes seemed pretty decent and a show would only give one prize vs. the multiple players in TPIR.
TPIR here; the prizes felt like a perfect showcase showdown description.
The Showcase Showdown is where they spin the wheel. You speak of the Showcase.

I considered The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal, but both shows are currently on the air, which didn't square in my mind with the past-tense wording of the question. I ended up saying Sale of the Century.
I blame the internet. E.g., https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... -bid-0810/
In thirty-eight years, The Price is Right never had a contestant guess the exact value of prizes in the Showcase showdown.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5087
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I felt like the wording "classic game show" implied a show that doesn't currently air, which would exclude TPIR. I'm probably wrong about that, but it helped get me to the right answer.

I flipped the Kosman Koin for the southern gothic writer and it landed on Carson McCullers.

Post Reply