Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:26 am

3 MCW (petroglyph, ren and stimpy, lincoln)

must take more time must take more time must take more time
Ren and Stimpy were my immediate reaction, but deeper thought paid off. Since they are a dog and a cat, "not even human" should be enough to explain why they aren't role models. The fact that they're a cartoon dog and cat is superfluous, and to mention it at the beginning of each episode would border on insulting the intelligence of their audience.

Annoyed at missing "whale", as the Hartford Whalers were one of just two WHA franchises I was sure of, but I simply figured that a whaler isn't a whale and not even close. I suppose the phrasing "animal that connects them" should have tipped me off that something vague was going on.
I'm smart and I want respect.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

A well-crafted egg cream is a wondrous thing, but the only place you could get one here in the fourth corner is departed from the scene. Was happy to see tropic was accepted as an alternative for solstice.

mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Also, that Whale video is an extremely formative part of my teenage years. I think yesterday's questions were written by a big 1996 MuchMusic fan.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Blue Lion wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:19 pm
The day before, I had no idea what the canine disease was, so I went for BWA and wrote Rin-Tin-Tinnitus.
I submitted pdouble pneumonia.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Dog distemper here.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

After 6 days of horrible luck and defense, I finally logged my first win yesterday on MD7. I knew if I lost yesterday with 5 correct answers, the universe was actually working against me.

Now I can start the long climb from the bottom (and hopefully stay out of relegation).

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well. So I (finally) made it to Julius Caesar in my Complete Shakespeare two days ago and, nope, that didn't help
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 am
Well. So I (finally) made it to Julius Caesar in my Complete Shakespeare two days ago and, nope, that didn't help
I adopted a cat this year. My original intention was to name him "Zeus", but I brought him home on March 15, the Ides, so I decided to name him "Caesar" instead.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Blue Lion wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:57 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 am
I adopted a cat this year. My original intention was to name him "Zeus", but I brought him home on March 15, the Ides, so I decided to name him "Caesar" instead.
Like cats don't feel empowered enough already??

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got a tie because they gave me two points for Keebler. That was my zero defense and they missed it.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think I gave my Most Wrong Answer on the "Party" question when I answered "Lynching". I couldn't come up with anything else.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:44 am
I think I gave my Most Wrong Answer on the "Party" question when I answered "Lynching". I couldn't come up with anything else.
I said birthday but I must admit I got a chuckle from your response.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:20 am
I got a tie because they gave me two points for Keebler. That was my zero defense and they missed it.
I was not expecting that one to play as easy as it did, though I definitely remember seeing the commercials of the elves making the cookies in a tree back when I was a kid. But I was never going to connect the dots.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:44 am
:lol: This is good.

My first, second, and third thoughts were garden party, but it just seemed too banal for a book title and I switched to even more boring "dinner".
Yesterday's set was a very gettable shot at my first beer, but I lost my coin toss on Peru/Ecuador and chose between whoopie cushions, hand buzzers, and squirting lapel flowers. Duh, pies.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 am
chose between whoopie cushions, hand buzzers, and squirting lapel flowers. Duh, pies.
Whoopie cushions here...which after submitting I realized how dumb it was, 1913...still the silent era! Also probably still too taboo of a joke.

Course, if Thorston had included The Great Race in that list...well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJQ7zn3-2g
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 am
chose between whoopie cushions, hand buzzers, and squirting lapel flowers.
These were the three I came up with too. Felt pretty dumb when I saw the answer but I really liked the question, although I suppose for people a little older than me who are at all familiar with Soupy Sales it must have been a total gimme and not particularly interesting.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cricket was a guess, although "Twenty20" struck me as vaguely familiar. I just had no clue about sports having "formats," and I wondered if Rugby Union and Rugby League were formats, and proceeded from there to other sports that are popular worldwide but less known in the US, and cricket was as good as any.

Garden party was also a guess. All I really knew about Katherine Mansfield was that she died of tuberculosis, but I figured that she was British (she was born in New Zealand, but her career as a writer took place in Europe). With the question saying "what type of 'Party'", I inferred that the title of the story would be a phrase with "Party," and decided that a garden party seemed sufficiently British. Besides which, it was the only "____ party" phrase I could think of.

Those two guesses gave me a 9(6) finish; in my A rundle, ChaffeeR had the only other 9(6), and in my private O'Brien's rundle, the only other one was FrielP.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Posted by me in the Pavlov thread, almost exactly a year ago:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:44 pm
At various times during my 8 years playing LearnedLeague, I have missed all of the following questions:

What are the 2 South American countries that do not border Brazil?
Spoiler
Ecuador and Chile
What are the 2 South American countries that are landlocked?
Spoiler
Bolivia and Paraguay
Lake Titicaca is located on the border between what 2 South American countries?
Spoiler
Peru and Bolivia
The equator passes through what 3 South American countries?
Spoiler
Ecuador, Colombia, and Brazil
Not exactly Pavlovs, but definitely Things Worth Knowing. I'd throw in "What 2 countries meet at the border between North and South America?", in case you don't already know that.
Spoiler
Panama and Colombia
Guess what I missed again yesterday, lolcry. Getting either that or not brainfarting the Keebler elves would have turned a tie into a win.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"Chicken pox" party for me. And I also went with "dog distemper".
I'm smart and I want respect.

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I could not for the life of me remember what the frozen treat was in "Arrested Development"...although I did remember it had something to do with bananas. I answered Banana Splits. I tell ya...my memory is fading fast as I get older. Was a huge fan of the show, too.