Monday, November 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICAL SPEECHES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At the 2004 DNC, Barack Obama used a fairly new metaphor, saying, "Pundits…slice & dice our country into" these 2 types of states

Carmela Chan: 18200+0=18200 (3x = $55,401)
Garrett Kuramoto: 5800+201=6001
Regan Read: 3000+2995=5995

Correct response:
Spoiler
red & blue [Note: order of colors does not matter as Regan had blue and red and “states” is not necessary since it’s in the clue’s wording]

Daily Doubles
Regan: 1200-1000
Regan: 0+1000
Carmela: 12400+5000

Coryats
Carmela: 15200
Garrett: 5800
Regan: 4600

Combined: 25,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Carmela: 6800
Garrett: 3400
Regan: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Carmela was the best on the buzzer and had the fewest errors. Throw in 5 large on DD3 and even if she missed it, she still wins the game.

Russian-American artist had me expecting the neg, though I knew not to do that, I was too chicken to go for the right guy.

The FJ! category had me try one precall of Cross of Gold. Nope, much later than that one. I matched Carmela and Garrett for the color order given and it was nice of Regan to give it the other way to give assurance to those who went that way.

The FJ! clue gave me a good idea of what shirt to wear tomorrow and I'll try to remember to post a picture here and/or on Facebook.

Fingers crossed to get the early airing in tomorrow morning as later airings will be sparse. Of course, it had to line up on a day with a champ going for a key fourth win.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6857

Carmela was correct on the FJ! clue so no 4th podium win possible.

If Regan had not admitted it I would not have guessed she was a 14-LETTER WORDS $2000. Shame on the CCs if she passed the test multiple times previously over the decades and only got the call this year.

Too much knowledge the wrong way cost Garrett in TV NOIR $2000 and it will likely (bettting 100 quatloos) keep LSV from a perfecto.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was hoping the FJ would let one player write down a slightly altered version of her own name. Alas, it was not to be but one I was done with before the music started.

Easily ran the Alabama books. The $200 one is the only one I have read, though I have seen the DD play at Ivy Green.

I already voted (not that it matters here) but I hope everyone here who hasn’t already will tomorrow.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:shock: :D :D on DDs. Guessed Goodbye, Mr. Chips. Don't ask me why...
All too easy FJ. :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Absolutely horrible boards for me. 5R in J!, 0R in DJ!

Yes. I got NOTHING RIGHT AT ALL IN DJ! Why does this keep happening?!

====

I choked on "altruistic" and couldn't work out man -> philo -> philanthropy in time either.

I know several things about To Kill a Mockingbird but somehow "rape" was not one of them.

Clammed on Groundhog Day because I couldn't make it work as a romcom and I don't see how it would be one, either.

Princess Alexandra seemed waaaaaaaaaay obscure for the top box. Poll request.

Two types of states? Red and blue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Red and blue states have been around since the 70's, which was why I dismissed it and had no answer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:28 pm Clammed on Groundhog Day because I couldn't make it work as a romcom and I don't see how it would be one, either.
Ummm, because it's a comedy about a man's romantic interactions with a woman?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:28 pm Clammed on Groundhog Day because I couldn't make it work as a romcom and I don't see how it would be one, either.
True, but there are just so many other elements to it that it just didn't line up with "romantic comedy" in my file. I'm used to rom-coms being like 9001% rom and 0.0000005% com.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Not a great start to the week with a dismal DJ:

No clue on DD2
Said Man Ray instead of Rothko
Said Black over Caspian for DD3
Bagel out of 4 in the TV NOIR category

At least FJ was a gimme, taking my streak to 9 in a row.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:30 pm Red and blue states have been around since the 70's, which was why I dismissed it and had no answer.
I think it's more recently, though, that their respective meanings have become fixed. I do remember* that sometime on Election Night 1980, ABC's David Brinkley commented "it's beginning to look like a suburban swimming pool".

* My memory of it actually comes from a 1980 year-end quiz, as "The Deer Hunter" was on TV at our house that night.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My memory is that it wasn't until 2000 that all the major news networks got their colors synchronized.

There are a bunch of articles online about it but none of them provides conclusive research.

I remember doing my own research four years ago and finding some screenshots showing some outliers in '96, but it's not handy.

Complete 1996 election night coverage of ABC, NBC, CBS, and CNN is on YouTube and they all use today's blue/red color scheme. Can't find the '96 PBS election map anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... al-colors/
https://www.npr.org/2014/11/13/36376267 ... come-to-be
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/t ... story.html
https://www.vox.com/2016/9/15/12926618/ ... s-democrat
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yeah, when Reagan had his electoral landslide in 1984, it was a mostly blue map. The networks used red and blue for the states, but there was not really consistency from election to election as to which party was which color. It wasn't until the 2000 election that the red=Republican and blue=Democrat paradigm took hold on a permanent basis.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Leander

Post by Leander »

My very vague recollection is that Tim Russert at NBC had something to do with standardizing and promoting the use of red/blue to talk about states on an ongoing basis, not just election night, but maybe that is NBC PR.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:30 pm Red and blue states have been around since the 70's, which was why I dismissed it and had no answer.
Apparently the 2000 election is when everybody agreed on the current color assignments. Before that "red state" and "blue state" were not commonly used terms because there was no universally used system that said which color meant which party.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/t ... story.html

So the "fairly new" part was that everyone across all media meant Republican states when they said "red states" and Democratic when they said "blue states". That does make the clue a bit of a mess.

Adding to that mess is the fact that the terms are in no sense metaphors. That's the word that gave me pause. But I couldn't think of a better response, so I went with it. I hate it when FJ requires me to correctly guess just how ignorant the clue-writer was.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here are two I picked off from the archive:

#6544, aired 2013-02-14 U.S. POLITICS $2,600 (Daily Double): (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a U.S. map on the monitor.) 1968 was the last time a third-party candidate captured a state; Nixon won 32 red states, Humphrey took 13 blues, & this independent won a block of five Southern states

#6349, aired 2012-04-05 POLITICAL TERMS: The OED traces these 2 parallel terms to an October 30, 2000 "Today" show discussion of an electoral map
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:00 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:32 pm
True, but there are just so many other elements to it that it just didn't line up with "romantic comedy" in my file. I'm used to rom-coms being like 9001% rom and 0.0000005% com.
It definitely has different beats than a standard romcom. The romance in itself is not the point, which in some ways makes it the opposite of a romcom. The question isn't whether Phil (the weatherman, not the groundhog) will win the girl. It's whether Phil will realize he needs to become a better person and focus on that instead of winning the girl. And when he does realize that and works to be a better person, he of course wins the girl. I don't have a problem with the clue, or with classifying Groundshogs's Days as a romcom. But I can definitely see how it might occupy different headspace and not seem like the right fit for a clue asking for a romcom.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm Adding to that mess is the fact that the terms are in no sense metaphors. That's the word that gave me pause.
There's that, too. They're more like ... what? Synecdoche?