Tuesday, November 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:32 am I'd be interested in a poll question asking whether Dread Pirate Roberts was only known because of The Princess Bride. I had absolutely no idea he was actually a real pirate, but when spotted Dread Pirate, I'm going for the obvious.

How the heck was the Jean Lafitte clue less value than knowing "an English forest guy who took from the rich and gave to the poor"? I got them both but was shocked at the placement.
Me too to all of this.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:35 pm
In all my time on North Shore and Banzai Pipeline I’ve never heard hang ten associated with the Shaka.
Does that mean you've surfed the Pipeline? I remember when I went there to check it out, some guy was walking out of the water with half a surfboard in his hands. He didn't look happy.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:41 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:32 am I'd be interested in a poll question asking whether Dread Pirate Roberts was only known because of The Princess Bride. I had absolutely no idea he was actually a real pirate, but when spotted Dread Pirate, I'm going for the obvious.
I can't find anything stating he was real. There is a Bartholomew Roberts, but he went by Black Bart. There is a note that the PB character was inspired by him though. I suspect that the clue might actually be " The dread pirate this ...".
Lower case works for me. But I got it from Dread Pirate Roberts, the guy who ran the dark web site Silk Road... :geek: (It's been years since I saw The Princess Bride, and I didn't like it that much...) Except I didn't get it. I thought it was Dread Pirate Robert.
Didn't get FJ either... :cry:
Last edited by davey on Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:57 pmIt's been years since I saw The Princess Bride, and I didn't like it that much...
Back up a second. I lost you.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,600
54 R/1 W
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: hang loose, avoirdupois, Cyrus McCormick, Congo River, Doonesbury, fingerprint, turnkey (DD), tenderfoot, 2010, Edward VIII

I put the pieces together and switched from Zimbabwe to Libya just before the music stopped. Like many others here, I was unaware of the flag change.

I've never heard "turnkey" used with respect to real estate, but it's commonly used when advertising business ventures for sale.

Contra others, I chickened out on Dread Pirate Roberts because I only knew him from The Princess Bride.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:48 pm Is "hang ten" okay for the shaka sign instead of "hang loose"? It's in the wiki article, but "hang ten" refers to having ten toes over the surfboard. I actually said "hang five", which is a thing, so I was probably wrong anyway.
Agree with Golf that "hang ten" is something different altogether. Although, in fairness, I've only ever heard people use "hang loose" in connection with the shaka on the mainland.

One of my favorite thrift store finds of the past year was a pair of UH football foam shakas.
Sprinkles are for winners.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Couldn't pull out Ryan Lochte.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hang Loose, Avoirdupois, Cyrus McCormick, Congo, Doonesbury, Fingerprint, (Turnkey), Tenderfoot, 2010, Ottoman Empire, Edward VIII

I will admit, I only knew Hook em' Horns because of the "Million Dollar Mind Game" episode with the University of Texas alum.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:27 pm I will admit, I only knew Hook em' Horns because of the "Million Dollar Mind Game" episode with the University of Texas alum.
I knew it because of the Cowboy Troy song.