Tuesday, November 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Go vote, then watch Jeopardy! (if it airs in your market)
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After the removal of the dictator, in 2011 3 broad colored stripes & 2 white symbols were restored to this country’s flag

Carmela Chan: 12700+11899=24599
Fernanda Trupiano: 400-399=1
Devin Rossiter: 17900+7505=25405 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Libya (Fernanda – Zimbabwe)

Daily Doubles
Carmela: 5400+2700
Carmela: 9100-4000
Devin: 16000+3500

Coryats
Carmela: 14800
Fernanda: 400
Devin: 15600

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Carmela: 7100
Fernanda: minus 400
Devin: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Some strange stumpers with the thumb/pinky gesture, reaper guy and Trudeau strip.

Devin and Carmela owned the buzzer and only left scraps for Fernanda. Unlike others this season, at least Fernanda made it to the end of the game.

If Carmela solves DD2 then she wins. If Devin misses DD3 then he loses. Things fell the right way for Devin in a narrow contest. Shakespeare for DD3 had me thinking that this season seems to not have as much bard material so far. If I'm right then that is a trend I won't object to even though I got the DD right.

With 11 FJ! clues in a row going for me, AFRICA is far from my first choice of what I want to see for the FJ! category. I did not precall anything and instead danced around the map for country recall. I figured the ones bordering the Mediterranean were best choices, then South Africa and then the scattered ones touching the Atlantic.

The clue gave me nothing to work on that would help me and it's a perfect place for a streak stopper to have no regrets. The best I could do was Côte d'Ivoire in making an association of "white symbols" to ivory. :oops: I welcome a post with the same kind of faulty logic. DHK will like a flag clue hiding in a broad topic. I would have needed my hand held with an "all green" giveaway hint.

Nice debut by Devin to handle his business on the wagering clues and dispatching a game 3x champ. As for getting people to see his game? Some will and some won't. Others will have to wait a day.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm pre-empted, so I'll just play the FJ off here. There are certainly many dictators to choose from in Africa, but 2011 pretty much leads to Gaddafi (whichever of the 112 ways to spell his name you want to use) and, therefore, Libya.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The mention of 2011 first took me to Sudan and South Sudan. I made the switch to the correct country, but I have to admit that I had no idea that Libya changed its flag. I would have thought that it is still solid green!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Those preempted can play the rest here: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6858

Five figures worth of trash available, but only enough for 3rd place from the 4th podium.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:37 pm I'm pre-empted, so I'll just play the FJ off here. There are certainly many dictators to choose from in Africa, but 2011 pretty much leads to Gaddafi (whichever of the 112 ways to spell his name you want to use) and, therefore, Libya.
the flag change gave it to me, then I thought, wow, Gaddafi is gone that long already.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :| :D for DDs. Couldn't get turnkey.
Guessed Liberia for FJ. I knew Liberia's flag is similar to ours, but wasn't thinking of anywhere else. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with Egypt. Right year, wrong flag. I would have pegged Qadaffi’s downfall earlier. After Alex said it was correct I remembered Libya’s old monocolor flag.

I wonder if they would have accepted the gesture itself instead of saying Hook ‘em Horns or jazz hands.

Carmela wasn’t shy in her FJ bet but would have regretted it if it had been a TS.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Is "hang ten" okay for the shaka sign instead of "hang loose"? It's in the wiki article, but "hang ten" refers to having ten toes over the surfboard. I actually said "hang five", which is a thing, so I was probably wrong anyway.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rare 0/5 for me in Before & After. $200 and $1,000 I had only the After; $600 and $800 I had only the Before; and bizarrely, on $400 I had only "something magic something".

Add St. Helens/Rainier to the list of "binary choices that TPH always gets wrong".

Precalled Nirvana/Nevermind in Albums. Ended up running both that and Compound Words.

No guess on FJ! Literally the only thing I know about Libya is "somewhere in Africa".

Lach Trash: hang loose, avoirdupois, Cyrus McCormick, Doonesbury, fingerprint, tenderfoot. Also got the "turnkey" DD.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:48 pm Is "hang ten" okay for the shaka sign instead of "hang loose"? It's in the wiki article, but "hang ten" refers to having ten toes over the surfboard. I actually said "hang five", which is a thing, so I was probably wrong anyway.
Said "hang ten" so I'm interested in this.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:22 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:48 pm Is "hang ten" okay for the shaka sign instead of "hang loose"? It's in the wiki article, but "hang ten" refers to having ten toes over the surfboard. I actually said "hang five", which is a thing, so I was probably wrong anyway.
Said "hang ten" so I'm interested in this.
Negative. Although it can mean several different things, hang ten in Hawaiian is strictly a surfing term. Shaka, or hang loose is an all-encompassing way of life.

In all my time on North Shore and Banzai Pipeline I’ve never heard hang ten associated with the Shaka.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'd be interested in a poll question asking whether Dread Pirate Roberts was only known because of The Princess Bride. I had absolutely no idea he was actually a real pirate, but when spotted Dread Pirate, I'm going for the obvious.

How the heck was the Jean Lafitte clue less value than knowing "an English forest guy who took from the rich and gave to the poor"? I got them both but was shocked at the placement.

Got every piece of trash in DJ :D

FJ had me quickly write Fernanda's response, but I reread the clue, saw the year, knew Mugabe's ousting was much more recent, and switched to the correct response in time for 10 in a row :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:32 am I'd be interested in a poll question asking whether Dread Pirate Roberts was only known because of The Princess Bride. I had absolutely no idea he was actually a real pirate, but when spotted Dread Pirate, I'm going for the obvious.
I can't find anything stating he was real. There is a Bartholomew Roberts, but he went by Black Bart. There is a note that the PB character was inspired by him though. I suspect that the clue might actually be " The dread pirate this ...".
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Not a Bad episode. I've noticed a lot of these the season have a sacrificial lamb who isn't competitive with the others.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
earendel

Post by earendel »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:32 am I'd be interested in a poll question asking whether Dread Pirate Roberts was only known because of The Princess Bride. I had absolutely no idea he was actually a real pirate, but when spotted Dread Pirate, I'm going for the obvious.
Count me as one who got this because of the PB reference. Otherwise I'm clueless.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Kudos to Opusthepenguin for the link to the video of Tuesday's game. Unbeknownst to me, Tuesday's episode of Jeopardy aired at 10:30 am in my market, while I was sitting on my couch drinking coffee, but my DVR didn't record the episode and I had not checked the pre-emption thread on JBoard to made aware of it. I knew Tuesday was Election Day but it slipped my mind that the show may not be aired at its regular time.