Wednesday, November 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
5 U.N. member countries have one-syllable names: Chad, Laos, & these 3 in Europe

Devin Rossiter: 13400+13399=26799 (2x = $52,204)
Keoni Rodriguez: 18400-10000=8400
Paloma Thombley: 3600-3500=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
France, Greece & Spain (Keoni – Spain, France &) (Paloma – France Spain and)

Daily Doubles
Devin: 400+1000
Devin: 8600-800
Keoni: 11400+7000

Coryats
Devin: 13600
Keoni: 12200
Paloma: 3600

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Devin: 6600
Keoni: 4600
Paloma: 800
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Nightmare FJ. On the surface it's "easy" but I got 2 out of 3, and was then struggling to get the one on the other side of the map. I had it finally, but not within 30 seconds.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD3 turned out to be the last clue of the DJ! round. Even if Keoni bet it all 22800 would not have been enough to lock out Devin at 13400. A miss would have dropped Keoni to 4400 to end the match there. Keoni had the chance to force Devin to get the FJ! clue right with a bigger wager, but 7000, while big, was not big enough for that scenario.

If I did not have enough fun with pick out the country for yesterday's FJ! clue then, oh goody, find three today. Like Keoni and Paloma I had the Meat Loaf with 2 out of 3 ain't bad. It's a miss although I did get the Pyrrhic victory by figuring out the third country after the music and before Alex went to Paloma. Yeah, whoopee.

My method was starting west and I got the first two within five seconds. I did U.K. area, Iceland, Scandinavia, Baltic, Poland, Switzerland, Italy, Rome (damn, that's a city), Croatia and Albania within the time limit. So close and yet so far away.

The miss today goes down better to only have a second miss in a row. It would have really stunk to have snapped a streak of 12 right on it. Wrong day for dash around the map work. Tough break for Keoni to be in position to win and get tripped up by the dreaded geography brain buster.

Writers: Feel free to mix it up a little in the FJ! round tomorrow.

Congrats to Devin to get it all done in time and defend his title. A 13,600 Coryat is nothing special while over 50K for two wins is what matters.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I only got Spain and France. At first I thought that it was evil to ask for all three, but once I hit on Spain and then France I figured that the trick was to think of the larger countries. It might have still been better to ask for 2 of the 3 though, given that the contestants have limited time to write down their responses.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:45 pm Nightmare FJ. On the surface it's "easy" but I got 2 out of 3, and was then struggling to get the one on the other side of the map. I had it finally, but not within 30 seconds.
Yeah, one of my least favorite type. In general, it's asking a lot to name all three of anything in 30 seconds. In my case, as soon as I thought of one, the other two came to mind at once, but by then I had taken nearly the entire two-syllables-or-more tour.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

I figured they were asking for big countries, so my thought process went like this

Spain, yes. France, yes. Italy, no. Greece, yes. Done writing with ten seconds to spare.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Would you say today's FJ is another example of the decline of writing on Jeopardy? At the very least it's sloppy or culturally tone-deaf, considering that
Spoiler
"Spain" is only known as "Spain" to English-speakers, while people living in that U.N.-member nation refer to it with the three-syllable España. Meanwhile, west of the UK, there's a U.N. member nation that calls itself Éire -- one syllable.
To make the question airtight and merit the given response, it could have been pinned not just to U.N. membership, but also to what people outside of the nation call the nation. Perhaps "5 U.N. member countries have one-syllable names in a U.N. official language: Chad, Laos, & these 3 in Europe" would have gotten it done? Otherwise, a contestant offering
Spoiler
Éire and France and Greece
might have made for an interesting ruling by the judges.

[Edited to ask: am I "overdoing it" with spoiler tags? I am surprised to see that a couple of posts above mine give away the FJ answer, which I thought wasn't something to do here, especially before an episode has aired everywhere.]
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 pm
[Edited to ask: am I "overdoing it" with spoiler tags? I am surprised to see that a couple of posts above mine give away the FJ answer, which I thought wasn't something to do here, especially before an episode has aired everywhere.]
Typically TheFJguy's post follows the two placeholders by the Archivists. Usually it contains (spoilered) the first appearance of the day's FJ and it fills enough space that no one is apt to stumble onto any game information they didn't want to see. More often, people are unhappily spoiled when an FJ is discussed on a thread other than the one devoted to that day's game.

As for your other question, the days and weeks ahead may have a big impact on how much of an Irish nationalist I feel like, so I guess I'll get back to you later.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6859

Devin is not giving up 4th podium wins though there is still plenty of trash to collect.

Matt Carberry can have fun rounding up the cities and stations for the news people. That Smithsonian category's five clues took me as long to archive as the other 25 from the J! round. With the people at different museums I could not even shortcut with some copy/paste like I can in similar categories.

Xu Donym: The thread is marked spoilers and it's open season once the game airs in the U.S. which I think is now 11CT at the earliest slot though many (well some at least) others watch from Houston a half hour later. TheFJguy usually watches a noon CT airing out of MS.

Yes, there are some forums where game day chatter is supposed to hold off until 8 Pacific after the West sees the game. Not here.

As you can see there were posts ahead of yours, so your spoiler tags were not necessary, though no big deal.

Usually my opening comments are shortly after the summary and I try to dance around specific spoiling information in case someone stumbles into the thread early not realizing it's about the current game that has not aired yet for most of the country.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs
Death of a Salesman for Frost/Nixon? :lol:
Tough FJ. Got France & Spain right off, got Greece with seconds to spare. :mrgreen:
[Edit] is it just me, or does Laos have two syllables? :?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:14 pm [Edit] is it just me, or does Laos have two syllables? :?
I've always pronounced it as "louse", a diphthong rather than two syllables.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:45 pm Nightmare FJ. On the surface it's "easy" but I got 2 out of 3, and was then struggling to get the one on the other side of the map. I had it finally, but not within 30 seconds.
Ditto. Took me about 35 seconds.
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:54 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:14 pm [Edit] is it just me, or does Laos have two syllables? :?
I've always pronounced it as "louse", a diphthong rather than two syllables.
Yeah, just like Pierre, SD. Looks like it should have 2, but it doesn't.

Also, good on Keoni for coming up with Anishinaabe. I had what they were looking for thanks to Gordon Lightfoot ("The tale was the same from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee.").
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why was Tommy Wiseau a contestant today?

Weird timing in J! 16 clues before the break even with a video category, yet the other half of J! came up two short.

Last two categories of DJ! felt prophetic.

====

All but Archer in Animated TV.

0/5 in Here's the Play.

Coral and cherry were super obvious after the fact but couldn't pull them.

Horrible DJ! board for me with 5R 1W.

I got Spain right away and completely fizzled out after that. Somehow completely forgot about France, and gave up when I found no other matches.

Lach Trash: Mackinac Island, pheasant

(ETA: Mark or other archivists. You have Mackinac Island spelled wrong in the archive. I submitted a correction.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:37 pm ...

Lach Trash: Mackinac Island, pheasant

(ETA: Mark or other archivists. You have Mackinac Island spelled wrong in the archive. I submitted a correction.)
Sometimes I get caught with monkey see, monkey do in following the closed captioning. Thanks, it's fixed.

You got one of the countries right; we'll take it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:47 pm Sometimes I get caught with monkey see, monkey do in following the closed captioning. Thanks, it's fixed.
\

The bridge and the island end with a C, but the city ends with a W. I used to vacation there every Labor Day weekend and I never got it either.

Nor do I get how a town can keep a tiny seasonal KFC open year after year, but not a freakin' McDonald's or Burger King.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Oh baby, I sure do love sports categories in DJ to gobble up an easy $6000, and was super pleased to see all my efforts studying plays and musicals earn me another 5/5 there.

The timeline of my writing down the 3 correct responses in FJ went like this:
France - before Alex finished reading
Spain - 8 seconds in
Greece - about 20 - 22 seconds in

It left me enough time to see that Devin definitely got it and Keoni needed more time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 pm I figured they were asking for big countries, so my thought process went like this

Spain, yes. France, yes. Italy, no. Greece, yes. Done writing with ten seconds to spare.
Greece isn't very big. You skipped at least the following larger European countries: Ukraine, Norway, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Finland, United Kingdom, Belarus, Romania, and Denmark*.

---------------
* Depending what you count as Denmark.