Friday, March 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, March 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:In case you're wondering why I haven't said anything yet, I forgot that CBC can also mess around with J!'s schedule. They apparently advanced it, as I turned on the TV at 7:28 and saw hockey.
Welcome to Canada. We'll never cancel an episode of anything for college basketball (or really, college anything, I still don't understand y'all's fascination with college and high school sports), but if there's any kind of NHL game on, all bets are off.

I think this is why I prefer watching on KARE, I'm sure they preempt shows for sports, but since J! airs so early (4:30), it rarely gets pre-empted.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

Hannah S. wrote:Oh, yeah. Ships. Hated that category.
Yet you got Andrea Doria! I had just come across it in reading a while ago, yet the only name I remember is the Stockholm.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote: but if there's any kind of NHL game on, all bets are off.
Or World Cup Soccer.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hannah S. wrote:I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even remember what the clue was for Havana. I'm not watching til later but my parents saw it already and my dad is mighty pissed that I didn't get Victorinox. And that they accepted the non-Coleman tent answers. (That was the first time during taping that day I had no idea why they'd stopped for judges' decision- I couldn't think of what answer they were reviewing, but did really hope it meant Sharla could come back for FJ!.)
I'm glad I stayed quiet on that one, I had Wenger in mind.

CE3K was instant, and one of the rare times I'm so confident (and fast enough) in my answer that I saved my result strings before the reveal...
then I proceeded to whistle the notes for the next five minutes :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Jerrrrrrrrrrrrrry! I think I'm starting to peak now …
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vanya wrote:Does he get paid for it, and if so, who pays him?
Presumably, he gets paid by any venue in which he appears to mock movies. For example, the Alamo Drafthouse.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

trainman wrote:For example, the Alamo Drafthouse.
Yet another reason to love the Alamo Drafthouse (and having seen this YouTube ad a while back, suddenly a movie mocker would make perfect sense there).

I swear, if I ever find myself in the Lone Star state, I must, nay *must* patronize the place and give them some of my hard earned money. Whether they have a movie showing at the time, or are even open at the time, is optional.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kslgbr wrote:I believe something happened today that is pretty rare.
Spoiler
Charla finished DJ in the red and was not going to be back for FJ. However when they returned from the break, she was still there because they had credited her with a correct response from an earlier clue which gave her a positive total. Of course it's common for such corrections to be made between DJ and FJ, but I believe it's pretty rare for it to make a difference between somebody being in the red and not.
I quoted this before, but now I have a link to another time it happened. I had a vague sense that heirloom tomatoes were involved, followed that hunch with a J! Archive search, and discovered it happened in mrbungle's second game:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3255
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
kslgbr wrote:I believe something happened today that is pretty rare.
Spoiler
Charla finished DJ in the red and was not going to be back for FJ. However when they returned from the break, she was still there because they had credited her with a correct response from an earlier clue which gave her a positive total. Of course it's common for such corrections to be made between DJ and FJ, but I believe it's pretty rare for it to make a difference between somebody being in the red and not.
I quoted this before, but now I have a link to another time it happened. I had a vague sense that heirloom tomatoes were involved, followed that hunch with a J! Archive search, and discovered it happened in mrbungle's second game:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3255
Thanks for the link, Stefan!

And the Archivist's comment about the adjustment talking about Mallory's "concomitant score" reminds me why I admire the Archive team - someone who actually knows what that word means and correctly uses it in a sentence.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:In case you're wondering why I haven't said anything yet, I forgot that CBC can also mess around with J!'s schedule. They apparently advanced it, as I turned on the TV at 7:28 and saw hockey.
Welcome to Canada. We'll never cancel an episode of anything for college basketball (or really, college anything, I still don't understand y'all's fascination with college and high school sports), but if there's any kind of NHL game on, all bets are off.

I think this is why I prefer watching on KARE, I'm sure they preempt shows for sports, but since J! airs so early (4:30), it rarely gets pre-empted.
I forgot to mention earlier that I watch on WKBW (Buffalo) only because of the closing credits / post-game chat, but it is much much more prone to weather crawls and the like. But, while WKBW did not preempt Jeopardy! for basketball or anything else on Friday, my antenna did not pick it up. Must have been weather-related (although there were no weather-crawls in the parts I got). So my backup that I record each day from CBC came to the rescue.

Oh, and thank God for PVR's, as my DVD recorder (the bakup to my backup) did not catch it in its shifted timeslot.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Don't Swede the small stuff

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

karoliner wrote:
Yet you got Andrea Doria! I had just come across it in reading a while ago, yet the only name I remember is the Stockholm.
An obvious case of Stockholm Syndrome.

Hannah S. wrote:Alex discussed Truffaut during the post-show chat and said he often felt like he was relieving that scene with the truck at the railroad crossing when driving his truck. I suggested maybe he needed a new truck.
Or at least a tube of 100 SPF suntan lotion.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Don't Swede the small stuff

Post by Paucle »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
karoliner wrote:I had just come across it in reading a while ago, yet the only name I remember is the Stockholm.
An obvious case of Stockholm Syndrome.
"As in Stockholm, Norway."
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

alamble wrote:
ACW wrote:WTH is a Movie Mocker anyway?
Ever seen Mystery Science Theater 3000?
I'm a little late to this, but Mary Jo Pehl of MST3K and now Cinematic Titanic, did post on her FB page to "watch her friend John."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

sherder wrote:I'm a little late to this, but Mary Jo Pehl of MST3K and now Cinematic Titanic, did post on her FB page to "watch her friend John."
She's lived in Austin for at least a couple years now. Wonder if he's gotten any tips on movie mockery from her...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Horse and Ship.

Also 0/5 in March. $400 through $1600 were total blank stares, then a piss-easy $2000. WTF?

It's a Noun, Verb for $800: Am I the only one who took "doe's darling" to mean "mate" and not "child"?

Total derpage on capitals. "Oh, um, capital of Alaska… what the hell is it again?" "Um, what the hell is the capital of Vermont again?" etc. I could've gone 4/5 there had my brain not randomly decided to switch off.

FJ: "Blah blah blah, here's a bunch of musical terms, oh and by the way the film has bugger-all to do with music." Lovely. NOT!

Also, I can read music but I can't play by ear at all, so even if I had seen CEotTK, I doubt I'd have gotten it unless I sat down at the piano.

I had no place to go on Friday's game. WNEM and We Barely Know Broadcasting both had it pre-empted for March Madness (THIS! IS! BASKETBALL!), and CBC for hockey. Luckily I had an outside source.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

John Boy wrote:
dunno why. nice basic material.
Catching up late. I don't get this. I'm sure an area you're weak is in "basic material" to someone else. You letting that JBoarder of the Month title get to your head? :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Catching up late. I don't get this. I'm sure an area you're weak is in "basic material" to someone else. You letting that JBoarder of the Month title get to your head? :D
That's five penalty points for criticizing JBoarder of the Month (hallowed be his temporary name). This shall not be tolerated, foul knave.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i, too, am catching up late, because i was actually at that crossword tournament thingy last weekend and just had a chance to watch this episode. congrats, hannah! nice work. i do feel bad for john because the ruling on instant tents easily could have decided the game (plus, i enjoyed watching him). but that doesn't take away from you fine performance. i had no clue on FJ; eventually i hummed out the notes and realized that it was john williams (from that moosebutter song somebody linked to a few pages ago), but i really didn't know which movie at all.

hannah, if you can do mondays in 2 minutes, you can definitely be competitive at the ACPT. if you didn't try the online solving, sign up for solve-by-mail and see how you would have done. i suspect your scores would put you in the vicinity of the top 100, maybe top 50, even if you're not so great at harder puzzles.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
John Boy wrote:
I know it's been a while since this category, and I'm just going by memory. But IIRC, two of the correct responses referred to ships whose sinkings led directly to our involvement in major wars. Not QUITE as famous as Pearl Harbor, but shouldn't at least those two be considered basic material? Kinda like remembering Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote:Kinda like remembering Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
Who?

…Kidding!