Thursday, November 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD FLAGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Both Wales & Bhutan have flags bearing one of these mythical creatures

Greg Marrero: 4800+4799=9599
Nalin Kashyap: 8000+8000=16000
Kate Lazo: 12800+4000=16800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
dragon

Daily Doubles
Greg: 2200+1200
Nalin: 2400+2000
Greg: 8800-4000

Coryats
Greg: 8400
Nalin: 6800
Kate: 12800

Combined: 28,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Greg: 3200
Nalin: 2000
Kate: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woulda/coulda/shoulda had a tiebreaker. DD3 that ended the round gave a little twist on a common painting/artist match that is art 101 for J! purposes.

I know exactly where I first learned of the "How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the ___" song as it opened a bonus round on Face the Music and the contestant correctly named Jimmy Carter.

The Jeopardy! Fan reports that Kate's 3x champ mom is Meg Gardiner and that her games are not in the archive.

WORLD FLAGS is very much a hit or miss for me as a category. Today was fortunately something I knew and I was glad it was not some color matching game of dash around a continent. During think I jotted a note of, "triget" as it seemed quite certain the players all had it right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done quicker today with fewer media clues: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6865

4th podium win quite available with enough LT to spare to be above Kate's 12800.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Things got off to a bad start when Chile was a TS. 5-letter South American country, WECIB?
Got all the trash in J!. Couldn't capitalize much in DJ! 8200 trash total.
Easy FJ :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jeopardy! Fan was right about no Meg Gardiner in the archive and a Google search shows that is Kate's mom. Andy later reminded me about there being a Meg Shreve in the archive who won three games in 1987.

Meg Gardiner's Wikipedia page shows her husband is Paul Shreve.

Doing some more research on Meg Gardiner and looking through Google images I was able to find some shots that convince me Meg Gardiner is a match for Meg Shreve as I had a Meg Shreve screenshot in the new old games thread.

Therefore I've updated the player pages to reflect the mom/daughter relationship: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8519
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Good detective work tracking down Kate’s mom.

Not a lot of mythical creatures out there so this was a quick solve.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've tried to play Dungeons & Dragons many times and can't figure out any of the rules. But you knew that already.

I don't get the fuss over "Hamilton", either.

====

Ran Double O, Double E.

All but Civet in Wild Things. They just can't let me run a wheelhouse anymore, can they?

Neg-fest aplenty for me. Sudan for Qatar, Nauru for Tonga, Platten for Clarkson (NHO "Heartbeat Song"), Toblerone for Nestlé (that seemed like some pretty hefty negbait), suffrage for suffragette, Vermeer for Rembrandt, attorney general for surgeon general.

All but the DD in 20th Century. Misunderstood what the clue was asking for.

0/5 in Asian Americans. Can't say I've heard of Ken Jeong before.

Knowing too much almost cost me. Was leaning unicorn because they're Celtic. Then went with gryphon because I know that some flags have birds on them. Finally just decided to KISS and go with dragon.

Lach Trash: Chile, brownies, spoon-feed, Marcel Duchamp. Also got the Grant Wood DD.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bonus points if you know what that is the schedule for.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I briefly thought of "Griffin" for FJ!, but thought better of it. I was probably primed by a DD from last month, which actually lead me away from that response - no way would they have that answer quite that frequently. I then just logically picked "dragon", since you think of King Arthur fighting dragons (okay, I have no idea if he actually fought a dragon), and it's a common Asian mythical animal, too. I had absolutely no knowledge of the countries' flags - but I'm pretty sure I've seen flags with dragons on them.

I got annoyed by the Billy Ray Cyrus clue at first - I went with Old Town Road, as he's featured on it. (Yes, I know Achy Breaky.) Could it have hit #4 at some point on some chart in some country? Possibly. Was it sort of controversial for being crossover? Yup - there was controversy over Billboard including/excluding it on the country chart. Even after the correct response, I was puzzled, until the next clue was revealed, and I realized the whole category had to do with hearts, so if "heart" isn't in the clue, it's in the response.

Still, if it had been pinned with 1992, it would have been almost as challenging, and would have avoided that neg.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:04 pm The Jeopardy! Fan was right about no Meg Gardiner in the archive and a Google search shows that is Kate's mom. Andy later reminded me about there being a Meg Shreve in the archive who won three games in 1987.

Meg Gardiner's Wikipedia page shows her husband is Paul Shreve.

Doing some more research on Meg Gardiner and looking through Google images I was able to find some shots that convince me Meg Gardiner is a match for Meg Shreve as I had a Meg Shreve screenshot in the new old games thread.

Therefore I've updated the player pages to reflect the mom/daughter relationship: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8519
This interview with author Meg Gardiner mentions her husband Paul Shreve, daughter Kate, and even the FJ clue from Meg Shreve's first episode (in case you were looking for further confirmation).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 pm I've tried to play Dungeons & Dragons many times and can't figure out any of the rules. But you knew that already.
How do you not figure out the rules? There's only one rule.
Spoiler
The Dungeon Master is always right.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:48 pm Good detective work tracking down Kate’s mom.
Yes, great work Mark and Andy!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:48 pm Not a lot of mythical creatures out there so this was a quick solve.
I mean, there are as many as you care to spend time thinking about, but not too many that cross Western and Eastern cultures.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 pm I got annoyed by the Billy Ray Cyrus clue at first - I went with Old Town Road, as he's featured on it. (Yes, I know Achy Breaky.) Could it have hit #4 at some point on some chart in some country? Possibly.
It might be worth knowing “Old Town Road” holds the record for longest stay atop the Billboard Hot 100 (nineteen weeks)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

The DD3 wager was unusual in that it would have resulted in a wager-to-tie situation no matter what (assuming the round ended when it did). As played, it’s first = second + third.

Kate’s only good wagers were 3200 or 3201. (She apparently subscribes to the theories of that other wagering website.) I favor the latter for multiple reasons, and Greg’s wager provides some additional support for that reasoning.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:31 pm
Bonus points if you know what that is the schedule for.
Heck with knowing, I had the brewery here show a couple of this years' games. (Anything to not have college football on every screen...)
I think with a few more I might actually understand the rules...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

+1 said "Old Town Road" over "Achy Breaky Heart", and I absolutely loathe that song

This FJ simple math on my end.

I know flags
+
I love international football/soccer
=
Easiest FJ for me since the one last season where they asked for the nation that has won a record 5 World Cups