Friday, November 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Re: Friday, November 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,200
53 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ciabatta, James Patterson, Howards End (DD), The Goldfinch

John was a buzzsaw, but those DD wagers...woof. If you hit a DD after the LTAM warning or with, say, fewer than five clues left on the board, stop for a second and do some math.

Shout-out to Bob Harris for helping me know E.M. Forster's Greatest Hits.

J! has now asked about The Goldfinch nine times in the seven years since it was originally published. All prospective contestants should make sure they can match the novel's title with its author's name (Donna Tartt) in either direction.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:01 pm
No guess on FJ! I had nothing better than "19th century" for Arthur, and not even Alex's postmortem helped me. I thought the Washington monument was wayyyyyyyyyyy newer.
Fun fact: the pyramid-shaped cap at the top of the Washington Monument is made of cast aluminum. At the time, aluminum was a semi-precious metal whose per-ounce cost was roughly on par with that of silver. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _gold.html
Sprinkles are for winners.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have somewhat of a case of prosopagnosia. Didn't get any of those faces. And that anagram category played a lot harder than it should have.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 pm
John was very impressive, but others this week have been as well. The only thing I saw that he could improve upon is his penmanship. I don't know if anyone has a screenshot of his FJ response, but it was quite rough.
What was funny was that he had just finished complimenting Kate on her handwriting. Here's a comparison:
Jeopardy Penmanship.png
Jeopardy Penmanship.png (733.62 KiB) Viewed 444 times

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t do well in the anagram category because I only see the answer for a brief time and when they go to the shot of the players I can’t remember the exact wording.

A good rule of thumb is to look for the word that seems out of place and assume that is the scrambled word.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

FJ! wasn't too bad. Honestly, I need to re-relearn the US Presidents in order, but I knew Chester Arthur was post-Civil War, pre-20th century. That puts his presidency around 1880 for me. Lop off 100 years for 1780, and Washington seems like a pretty obvious choice. My precalls were Washington, Lincoln, and Mount Rushmore, and the date easily eliminated 2 of the 3.

Am I the only one who didn't recognize Mr. Mapother's photo, but got it from the last name? For some reason I was thinking Warren Beatty, which I knew was wrong from the 1980/about 57-58 clue. In fact, frankly, none of the photos really helped me other than giving me gender and race and a vague feeling of "oh, that looks kinda like that person" - even Jodie Foster, which I now realize was a boo-boo.

I don't think I've ever precalled a DD before, but how can you have an ABANDONED PLACES category without Chernobyl? I mean, at least force them to give the country it's in.

The ANAGRAM category was off for me - I was too slow on the first one and forgot how J! usually does this category and that the word would be hidden but weird. I blanked the next two, but got the bottom two clues in the row.

My recording cut off early - thanks a lot, WBZ. If you're going to bump WoF/J! for a Patriots program, at least put it on at 1 AM, -BEFORE- the preacher/self-help guru. I thought the prescribed 34 minute block (bloc?) would be enough, but nope. At least it only cut off the FJ! response reveal (and some think time). I'm not that impressed with the penmanship of Kate, and it almost seems like John had some kind of malfunction - or else his response contracted some kind of Jeopardy! measles.

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm
The FJ! clue had 3/3 written all over it as even a guess was likely going to be right. Any possible wrong responses should have been eliminated by basic math and a general sense of where to place presidential terms.

When I saw the category and started to played the precall game I quickly stopped as I felt myself getting into memorials.
Alex was barely half done reading the clue when my wife said, "If I can get it this quickly, all three contestants better do it, too."

My precalls also had me going down the wrong path. I mentally listed physical monuments and memorials, then wondered if it was too easy and they were going to throw us a curve with National Monuments. That led me to thinking about Devil's Tower, Fort McHenry, and the like.

I also wondered if they might twist it into National Monuments that became National Parks, like Black Canyon of the Gunnison or Death Valley.

When the clue was revealed I found out all the speculation was useless, and they went with the most obvious thing they could have. Oh, well, at least I entertained myself during the commercial. Archive shows that "National Monuments" has been a full category at least nine times.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

DBear

Post by DBear »

alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 am
I have somewhat of a case of prosopagnosia. Didn't get any of those faces. And that anagram category played a lot harder than it should have.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 pm
John was very impressive, but others this week have been as well. The only thing I saw that he could improve upon is his penmanship. I don't know if anyone has a screenshot of his FJ response, but it was quite rough.
What was funny was that he had just finished complimenting Kate on her handwriting. Here's a comparison:

Jeopardy Penmanship.png
Looks more like John had trouble with the light pen than sloppy penmanship. Notice the dots all over the place.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Did John briefly have a run away before he bungled the 3rd Daily Double? I was just watching for something to happen. Either for John to turn it into a run away for good or for the third contestant to suddenly mess things up for the champ.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:03 pm
Did John briefly have a run away before he bungled the 3rd Daily Double? I was just watching for something to happen. Either for John to turn it into a run away for good or for the third contestant to suddenly mess things up for the champ.
This feature makes it easy to follow lockville. http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=6866

John had a lock from J1 to DJ7. John did have a runaway at DJ28 and then lost his lock right back when he did not convert DD3.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:05 am
floridagator wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:03 pm
This feature makes it easy to follow lockville. http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=6866

John had a lock from J1 to DJ7. John did have a runaway at DJ28 and then lost his lock right back when he did not convert DD3.
Yup, he hit the sweet spot of the exact wrong bet.

With 25,800 vs 12,800, if he bets low (ie under 200), he's counting on Kate not getting the next clue no matter what he does to keep his runaway. That's reasonable - he's been the only one to get a clue in the category, so Kate may not be strong enough for the last clue. And he may not feel confident enough to get it right.

If he bets high enough - anything over 3,800 - he's protecting his lead from Kate getting the next clue. Still reasonable - but even a 3,800 bet could leave him as bad off as 22,000 vs 14,800. It's probably not a GOOD bet, but it's at least can be defended.

But he showed exactly why his middle-of-the-road bet was so wrong.

I have no idea how much "reasonable" time they give him. If there are still 20 clues to go in the game, you shouldn't need much time to decide, since it's mostly irrelevant how much gameplay is left. But with 1 clue on the board, having a 30 second (off camera) time-out where you get to do the math for the two different scenarios might help.

The problem is that the ideal low bet is so low that it's going to stick out like a sore thumb - it would have the be less than the value of any clue on the board. Frankly, I'd like to think I'd bet $5 even in a wheelhouse category. When I watched it live, I saw the numbers, did the quick 2:1 math, and said "screw it, just bet the minimum." Blinding lights have power, though, and I don't know if my math would hold up at the lectern.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How I felt about the category would influence my bet. If I liked it I would bet enough to guarantee the lock even if second place gets the last $2,000. If not, I bet under $200 so I still have my lock as long as she doesn’t get the last clue.

But his bet doesn’t help him. A miss breaks his lock and she isn’t locked out completely if he gets it right, so he is no better off than he was before.

The only good thing I can say about it is that he could still reclaim his lock if he gets the last $2,000. A miss on a bet of $3,801 (minimum needed to end the game on the DD) means he can’t get the lock by getting the last clue, although he can if she gets it wrong.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed "Opie and the Bully" and Ann Coulter.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ciabatta, Triangle, Sailed, John Mitchell, James Patterson, (Howards End), The Goldfinch
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.6k games
Alpaca Farm: 1600 quizzes