Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:49 pm
SILENT "L" would have Kellie Pickler disagreeing with one of the responses as she always said the "L" in the fish name.
I deliberately pronounced the L in all my responses, just for fun. Are there past examples where such a response has been accepted or negged?

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

It happens every so often and tonight's FJ was my night. I love the dawning realization as I scan a clue that the one thing I pre-called is the thing they're looking for.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Philliesfan02 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm
I didn't even use the "practical" part: that just threw me off track for a bit. Musical + 1981 debut + West End? What else could it be?
Practical Suburban Strains, The Practical Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, Practical I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road, Practical Ipi Tombi, Practical Billy Bishop Goes To War, Practical Barnum, Practical Eastward Ho!, Practical On Mo' Time, Practical One Night Stand, Practical With A Little Help From My Friends, The Practical Sound of Music, The Practical Mitford Girls, The Practical Swan Down Gloves, Practical Worzel Gummidge.

AASQGASA

I meant... there were no other musicals of note that premiered in 1981 aside from Dreamgirl, and I knew that one didn't come to West End until 2016.
Practically We Roll Along

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
SILENT "L" would have Kellie Pickler disagreeing with one of the responses as she always said the "L" in the fish name.
I deliberately pronounced the L in all my responses, just for fun. Are there past examples where such a response has been accepted or negged?
There was a FIRST LADIES' RHYME TIME category the day before I first taped with "Grant's Aunts" as a correct response, and the contestant pronounced it in a non-rhyming way and got credit.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
There was a FIRST LADIES' RHYME TIME category the day before I first taped with "Grant's Aunts" as a correct response, and the contestant pronounced it in a non-rhyming way and got credit.
Excellent! I remember that now. I wonder if that would still fly under the new regime. I suspect things might be berry different now.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zakharov wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 pm
And yes I say "calm" with an audible L. That's why pronunciation-based clues annoy me. Don't even get me started on the problems with the mary/merry/marry merger...
Possible poll question? I would think most people don't pronounce "calm" with a silent L. It almost feels like the show is trolling us this season with all the questionable pronunciation clues/responses.

P.S. interesting to hear that Andy is a masters swimmer. I had that fact on my card, too, but Alex didn't mention it for me. I just looked up his times on the US Masters website and he's a good swimmer if it's the person I found. He's listed as representing teams from the LA area, so I suspect it's him. I hope to run into him sometime when we're actually able to compete in swim meets again!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I think we retro-jinxed Andy yesterday talking about his TOC chances. I’m getting spoiled with all these well-played games. Instaget FJ for me: a college friend who was big into theater told me in 1980 that Rice and Lloyd Webber were adapting Old Pissuma Book of Oractical Cats to a musical. He knew me for a TS Eliot fan, so knew to expect my subsequent outburst of mirth.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else get a bit of a Penn Jillette vibe from the new champ, Charlie?

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,200
55 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: nene (goose), Cleveland Indians, Lycra, Lois Lowry

Andy really seemed to lose steam during the second half of the game. Afternoon fatigue is a very real thing. I hope he ends up with a TOC berth. He was very enjoyable to watch.

I blew a perfect J! round by mis-parsing Sci. Abbrev. $1000. Cubic centimeters came to mind immediately, but I swatted it away because what the heck do those have to do with (acoustic) volume?
Plactus wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm
Potpourri was a strange category. Never heard of either person in the $200 clue, and filling in "Na Na Hey Hey" seemed overvalued unless they were hoping to trap someone into forgetting the "hey"s and just going for "Na Na Na Na." (Whatever, I'll take the extra $800 Coryat.)
I suspect the clues were set up less according to difficulty and more according to how the correct responses flowed to advance the theme (NeNe, Nae Nae, nene, Sha Na Na, Na Na Hey Hey), but I don't think the clue was overvalued. Given that the title is never uttered in the lyrics of the song, one needs a specific piece of knowledge to pick up the dough.
opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Same here. I also answered "Who is G?" for the '90s sax man.
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm
Possible poll question? I would think most people don't pronounce "calm" with a silent L. It almost feels like the show is trolling us this season with all the questionable pronunciation clues/responses.
For me, it's situational. If I'm using the word in everyday speech or singing "Silent Night," it's "calm." If I'm repeating a certain WWII-era slogan, it's "keep com."
Sprinkles are for winners.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Real Housewife, the Nate Silver Website, and the Trevor Noah Memoir.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Nene, Cleveland Indians, Judge, Lycra, Lois Lowry, D.H. Lawrence
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.6k games
Alpaca Farm: 1600 quizzes

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I had no clue about the first four answers in the Potpourri category but did catch on to a theme...so for the fifth clue, I blurted out NA NA NA NA...which was completely wrong, of course. But I get an "A" for the good old college try.

Theatre is one of my worst subjects but I got FJ; it was either Cats or Annie...but I thought Annie debuted a little earlier than 1981 and Practical Annie just didn't sound right. If it hadn't been Cats, I would have been stumped.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I pronounce the l in both calm and stalk. It does get swallowed a bit but it is very audible when I say it. It is silent when I say salmon but it certainly doesn’t sound odd to hear it.

I loved the Radio Flyer DD. A fact you are unlikely to know off the top of your head but one that can be pieced together with some thought. Like the player, it took me a bit to get there but I was able to do it.

I got FJ on a total guess. The year seemed about right for Cats and Practical Cats (sort of) rhymes so it isn’t that unusual of a title. I have heard of it being from Elliot but I couldn’t have told you that if FJ had been “Cats was based on a book by him”.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
P.S. interesting to hear that Andy is a masters swimmer. I had that fact on my card, too, but Alex didn't mention it for me.
He probably thought of it as more of a fifth interview kind of fact. :D

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:19 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
P.S. interesting to hear that Andy is a masters swimmer. I had that fact on my card, too, but Alex didn't mention it for me.
He probably thought of it as more of a fifth interview kind of fact. :D
Alex didn't even seem to know what "masters swimming" meant, so not surprising!

On a different subject, Alex sure is looking good in these episodes. If you turned on the show with no prior knowledge you'd think he's fit as a fiddle. I'm really hoping we don't see an obvious decline toward the end. :cry:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm
On a different subject, Alex sure is looking good in these episodes. If you turned on the show with no prior knowledge you'd think he's fit as a fiddle. I'm really hoping we don't see an obvious decline toward the end. :cry:
Mrs Penguin and I feel that we're seeing some evidence already, though that may be confirmation bias. He's doing a great job but there seem to be moments where he's working hard to appear bright and cheery and energetic. And of course, whether the effort shows or not, these final games clearly were costing him in a way that previous shows didn't. Our consolation is that we know he wanted to be there. He really was having the best time he possibly could by doing the one thing he wanted to do. There was nothing else that would have made him happier in spite of the pain during those moments. That's what makes it possible for us to watch and enjoy these last performances. We want to be there with him and show appreciation for what he did in these last efforts to bless our living room and be a comfort to its occupants.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Nene Leakes, a total Hawley-Smoot name. Once again, it's weird when $200 is not only my only miss, but also my NHOI.

Also NHO "Jake the Snake". There are lots of possible rhyming nicknames for "Jake", and none seemed more obvious than the other.

Ran Silent L, Science Abbrev., and 20th Century Pop Culture.

Lois Lowry = Number the Stars was too far back to dredge up in time. I read that in 3rd grade and we all hated it.

Practical... something something book of practical cats? Good thing I only need the "Cats" part.

Lach Trash: nene (goose)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Mixing game shows, I could name that FJ! response in just three words. As soon as Alex said "practical", I said "Cats", skimmed the rest of the clue to make sure they weren't asking for Betty Buckley, T.S., or Sir Andy, and pounced.

I got trolled by the "hey hey" in "na na hey hey" - asking for the last 2 words or last 6 words would make more sense, given how the song pauses. Fun category, though. Like the contestants, I'd never heard of a nene as a goose.

I shouldn't have clammed on "Jake Blues" - thought it was too easy for the bottom row. The answer is literally in the title of the sketch/movie/group! I literally thought it might be some Polish Chicago name like Kowalski.

I knew there would be controversy over the silent "L" clues. I swear I heard an "L" when Charlie said "stalk", but it got counted (and with no complaints here) anyway. I think I'd say it silently when talking about creeping around, but I might say it a little if talking about celery. And I'd only pronounce it in "calm" if I were saying it deliberately slow.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:16 pm
Mixing game shows, I could name that FJ! response in just three words. As soon as Alex said "practical", I said "Cats", skimmed the rest of the clue to make sure they weren't asking for Betty Buckley, T.S., or Sir Andy, and pounced.
Mrowr! 🐱

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've said it before, but for me certain so-called silent L's don't get explicitly pronounced, but they do color the preceding vowel, enough so that I wouldn't call them silent. Yoke vs. yolk is one example; I don't hit the L the way I would in "bulk" or "milk," but I pronounce the O farther back in my mouth than I do in "yoke." In yesterday's category, only "calm" ran afoul of my personal pronunciation; "dot-calm" (if such a term existed) would be distinguishable from "dot-com" the way I say it. "Stalk" is homophonous with "stock" for me, however. It's weird: I definitely don't pronounce the L in "stalk," "talk," or "walk" (making them homophonous with their "ock"/"ok" counterparts) but I do (in the above sense of pronouncing a throatier vowel) in "balk" and "caulk."

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:41 pm
I've said it before, but for me certain so-called silent L's don't get explicitly pronounced, but they do color the preceding vowel, enough so that I wouldn't call them silent. Yoke vs. yolk is one example; I don't hit the L the way I would in "bulk" or "milk," but I pronounce the O farther back in my mouth than I do in "yoke." In yesterday's category, only "calm" ran afoul of my personal pronunciation; "dot-calm" (if such a term existed) would be distinguishable from "dot-com" the way I say it. "Stalk" is homophonous with "stock" for me, however. It's weird: I definitely don't pronounce the L in "stalk," "talk," or "walk" (making them homophonous with their "ock"/"ok" counterparts) but I do (in the above sense of pronouncing a throatier vowel) in "balk" and "caulk."
+1