Monday, March 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Monday, March 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

Hannah S. wrote:I nearly said soccer and then was pre-emptively more specific. I suspect they might've taken it and/or prompted.
You haven't been around long enough to know I'm just trying to be funny.

But it does remind me of the story of my (male) friend who worked as a nurse for several years. People* would always ask him "What made you decide to become a male nurse?" to which he would invariably reply: "It was easier than a sex-change operation."

*I was going to use a more descriptive word there, but declined.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Hannah S. wrote:I nearly said soccer and then was pre-emptively more specific. I suspect they might've taken it and/or prompted.
Should've accepted it outright.
bpmod wrote:Yes. That is what I was referring to. What if you don't have the accompanying clip 'cause someone uploads a jpg instead?
Then it is lost to antiquity. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

DBear wrote:
Paucle wrote:
DBear wrote:Squeezy for squeamish?
squeasy. Drop the leading "S" and it should look more logical to you.
The category is "Sq", so no dropping the leading S.
Thread follow fail.
"He said "squeezy"? That's unpossible!"
"He didn't say "squeezy," he said "squeasy." S plus 'queasy.' get it?"
follow now, DBear?
alamble wrote:Either way, there's no way that neg should have been overruled.
Other than squeasy is a real word that means "squeamish," I guess I'd have to agree with you.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:Yes. That is what I was referring to. What if you don't have the accompanying clip 'cause someone uploads a jpg instead?
Then it is lost to antiquity. :)
Good. I'm glad you didn't say someone would be fired.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The funny thing is that I gave the exact same response that Hannah did, "What is Women's Soccer?" Then it occurred to me that if Kristine Lilly and her teammates were playing a type of soccer other than women's that it would probably have been a much bigger story.

Yet again, because I usually fast forward through the interviews, I was completely lost for the first page and a half of this thread, because I didn't realize that Alex had been credited for his "squeasy" response. I thought the discussion was just about him giving an answer that wasn't a real word, only to now realize that it was indeed a word and that he later received $2,000 for it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

If it's lost to antiquity, perhaps we can count on onklepresson?
You haven't been around long enough to know I'm just trying to be funny.
Yes, and we have such great hope that soon you'll be successful in that endeavour! ;) Press on! Don't quitty!
BGSUAlex
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by BGSUAlex »

Bamaman wrote:
BGSUAlex wrote:
That being sad, both Kyle and Hannah played a terrific game. From the studio, the Jane Goodall category was even worse.
I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

Congrats on your win and thank you for posting. Do you have a picture of you and your wife in uniform?
The two of us circa 2007 in the student union at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. This is my first picture upload, so sorry if it comes out strange
Attachments
Freddie and Frieda.jpg
Freddie and Frieda.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

I'm stunned by how much of this game I can't remember. The nerves from sitting in the audience must have blacked everything out. I remember the Goodall clues (and didn't find them that difficult or tediously slow - the players still cleared the boards so what is everyone complaining about?) and I remember being very intimidated when Kyle went on her run.

The train-set reference had me thinking of Walt Disney and I couldn't get past it.

Congratulations, Alex! See you tomorrow!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

BGSUAlex wrote:The two of us circa 2007 in the student union at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. This is my first picture upload, so sorry if it comes out strange
Something is definitely strange about that photo - it looks like two gigantic, furry birds wearing jerseys.
;)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Paucle wrote: Thread follow fail.
follow now, DBear?

And the category is "Sq", 's' followed by 'q'. You cannot drop the leading 's'. Do you follow?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote:
Paucle wrote: Thread follow fail.
follow now, DBear?

And the category is "Sq", 's' followed by 'q'. You cannot drop the leading 's'. Do you follow?
He was just trying to show you what word was used. "Squeasy" is a synonym for "squeamish".

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Squeasy
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Picking out the correct song with lyrics can always be tough. If the clue had been "This group hit No. 1 with Every Breath You take" and no one rang in then that would be surprising. The TS as it played is one of those things.

The song clue that made me laugh was the one looking for Kit Bag. I read the clue and thought 3 things:

Kyle will get it.
Alex will not get it.
and hey, I can ask Hannah if she knew it.

Well, Hannah?

The other thing I noted for a comment was Quito. That was ridiculous.

The FJ clue and the comments here made me feel better about Friday. Very quickly I got a redemption for the miss last week and the misses mentioned here seem to make it below a gimme which I felt it was as soon as I spotted RKO.

Alex hit two DDs correctly in the DJ round and still trailed entering FJ. He deserved a loss for letting that happen. Kyle led two strong players without the help of DDs and had a chance to win. Plus she spelled Welles correctly. That was a heck of a way to kiss away 29201 dollars.

Michael Curtiz is a name I expect to appear in a post later by someone with lots of movie knowledge.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

FJ failure for me. I got stuck on Victor Fleming, recognized that the clue suggested someone who was not yet established as a director at that time, yet stayed stuck on Fleming. Thus endeth a 7-game FJ streak.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The song clue that made me laugh was the one looking for Kit Bag. I read the clue and thought 3 things:
I'm guessing that, like me, you sang out the response with the correct tune? :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

heisman65 wrote:As for the FJ, I think you have to be a movie buff to know the train-set reference. It has nothing to do with the movie, more with the circumstances under which it was made. Welles was young and RKO gave him carte blanche to make whatever movie he wanted to, which was unprecedented at the time, especially as he had only worked in radio and on stage before. He never reached such heights again, but Citzen Kane is considered the best movie of all time, so not a bad legacy to leave behind.
Basically, yeah. First time actor/director (radio experience prior) using first time actors (also previous radio experience) making an ambitious first film with no studio interference. No clue who a modern equivalent of that would be. I figured 'train set' would be a ... red herring to people. :lol:
MarkBarrett wrote:Michael Curtiz is a name I expect to appear in a post later by someone with lots of movie knowledge.
Michael Curtiz! :lol:

Yeah, he directed Casablanca.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Hannah S.
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Hannah S. »

"Train set" nearly derailed me off Welles- I thought of him immediately when I saw RKO.

My husband knew the "kit bag" song but no, I had never heard it. (He's also very annoyed with me about Every Breath You Take- he is the music nerd in the family.)

Quito seemed easy- maybe because I learned a song for all the South American capitals in Spanish class so was singing in my head, "Caracas Venezuela, Bogota Columbia, Quito Ecuador, Lima Peru!" But Kyle outbuzzed me.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I thought this was a very entertaining game to watch. Every player made a run. A non-obvious but gettable FJ!. It was anyones game. Well done all.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Congratulations to a fellow Bowling Green alum! (I went to grad school there the year the Falcons won the NCAA ice hockey championship.)

This was a good board and a good game — despite Kyle's inexplicable FJ wager.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

StevenH wrote:It was a good thing that I couldn't remember the name of the guy who directed Casablanca, because if I had then I probably could have guessed him.
"Casablanca," though, was not RKO, but Warner Bros. -- famously enough that, for the past few years, the animated Warner Bros. logo at the beginning of their films has included a few bars of "As Time Goes By."
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Paucle wrote: squeasy. Drop the leading "S" and it should look more logical to you.
Thread follow fail.
follow now, DBear?
Other than squeasy is a real word that means "squeamish," I guess I'd have to agree with you.[/quote]

One word, five definitions:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Squeasy

I still had never heard of 'squeasy' until tonight. It sounds some hilarious Jeffy malaprop in "The Family Circus"..cute, but no way in hell it should have been considered a real word.

Edit: It would be a lot easier if the board would drop that stupid 'You can't embed more than 3 quotes' message.