Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LIT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A book by him says, "From the forest came the call…distinct and definite as never before–a long-drawn howl"

Kristen Thomas-McGill: 13200+8000=21200
Jason Grote: 1600+1600=3200
Kendra Blanchette: 19400+7001=26401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jack London

Daily Doubles
Kristen: 2200-2200
Kendra: 14800+3000
Jason: 3000-3000

Coryats
Kristen: 15400
Jason: 4600
Kendra: 17600

Combined: 37,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kristen: 5600
Jason: 3000
Kendra: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason mentioned writing for Mad Men. Here is his IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4960872/

Not my favorite ep. of that AMC show, but I did like the Lizzie Borden show which was fun bonkers.

Lots of media clues in addition to the KJ category. Great that there was still time to get all the clues in as Jason and Kendra kept things moving well enough. Until today I'm not sure I've ever come across a Kendra born prior to 1980.

The FJ! category gave me precalls of Salinger, Fitzgerald, Twain, Hawthorne and Cooper.

The clue had me go directly to a wrong guy with Edgar Rice Burroughs and I thought I was right. I did not stop thinking as "forest" had me wondering about that term and I had my pen at the ready, but the right guy was nowhere near on my radar.

When Trebek mentioned the dog's name I immediately rhymed it. If I had realized I was wrong then perhaps I could have seen the hint yelling at me right in the clue's wording. No help from the players in matching my error, so I'll wait for a post here to make me feel better that at least one other person thought like I did. Perhaps Carol Burnett reads here? :lol: She's a J! champ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got as far as add new player and then the archive would not accept it. Site seems to be down. Short, middle, long outage? No idea. I'll post when I get the game in. Better be something going on other than some blankin' scraper. Save that nonsense for the vault weeks.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I try to stay above 20R in DJ everytime I play, but these were some nightmare categories for me. Ended with 18R...

At least FJ was kind to me. Had the correct response down instantly while I hoped that I wasn't tricked into this being some line from Allen Ginsberg.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I insta-got FJ! ”Call” and ”Howl” were giveaways to the book and the author’s name was easy to get. Thankfully, everyone thought aike.

7/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6888

Thanks everyone for your patience and we can only hope tomorrow is better. My wish is the writers tone it down on the number of media clues.
davey

Post by davey »

Despite "...forest..." my only distraction from the correct FJ response was Kipling...then I remembered the category... :roll:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Thanks Mark for getting the game up! I'm with you, the fewer media clues the better.

Archive playthrough: Coryat $43,800 (51R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Swept the $2000 row on Monday and Tuesday, that was fun while it lasted. Today, NHO American-Statesman, almost bit on Michelangelo but clammed, and couldn't come up with animus. In round 1, couldn't come up with python, and the raglan -> sleeve one crossed wires in my head because the way it was written sounded at first glance like they wanted the name of the general.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs:. G.O.A.T, computer languages, Latin ;)
The bottom clue saved me from a bagel in Tony Awards :?
Trash:. Catch 22 DD, Hamburg, Mirror DD
:D :D :D for Daily Doubles
FJ Instaget, contestants rightfully got a triget :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Couldn't get the first two in "USA" but got the next three.

Ran Newspapers and Botany, surprisingly.

0/5 in Tony Winners. Didn't recognize a single thing.

Instaget FJ!, though I was tempted to append it with "OwO what's this?"

Lach Trash: inexcusable, Hamburg. Also got the Mirror DD.
davey

Post by davey »

A clue that confused me on this show: During The Renaissance for $800. When Alex gave the name of the city "in Italian," I assumed that he was using a heavy "Italian" accent, as he was wont to do, to say "Mantua" - never knew there was a v in it. So i couldn't tell what he was asking for... :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I gotta say, I like Ken, but him reading these categories isn't giving me confidence in how he'll do as host. Alex was just so natural at it. I guess we shall see.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Landed on London immediately, then wondered if "call" in the clue was too much information, enough to make it someone else. Stuck with London.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am A clue that confused me on this show: During The Renaissance for $800. When Alex gave the name of the city "in Italian," I assumed that he was using a heavy "Italian" accent, as he was wont to do, to say "Mantua" - never knew there was a v in it. So i couldn't tell what he was asking for... :oops:
He was saying its Italian name, Mantova.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

For FJ!, I went with London, but I was really distracted with Thoreau. Walden is a perennial J! favorite, but the clue seemed almost a little too...violent? Active? I think of Thoreau and Walden as much more calm, serene, and optimistic, but I haven't read either author, except perhaps in an excerpt. Call of the Wild could be another case of J! loving multi-media clues, since a movie version was released just before the pandemic.

Damn my Twitter feed for mentioning Phantom Tollbooth - I saw "Milo" and book, and went with that instead of Catch 22. I would have clammed on that one had I not been primed.

My brain was too slow to get from "Joe Biden" to "Scranton" quickly enough - I only reached "The Office". I also knew Python (the language, not how to program in it), but couldn't get away from some cobra/COBOL ouroboros.

The end of the show had some rookie mistakes. Six clues left and you hit the first daily double - the wager was fine. But selecting the other two clues in the same category, forgoing a 1/3 shot at the next DD? Not cool, Kendra. If Kristen finds that second DD (which was easy IMO), she could wager to overtake Kendra, and win the game. Also, BURG/TON/VILLE at the end had some responses that didn't fit the category. A 13 letter word instead of 14 is acceptable...but remember the category!

But good on Jason for making a heroic wager on that third DD - even if he didn't remember Snow White's evil queen and her mirror, mirror. And double good on him for getting the last clue right so he could play in FJ!.

Ken always seems a little stiff when he's on TV. I've noticed it in his reading of the clues, and I've seen it in Master Minds a bit, too. After 3 (I think) categories, I'm actually a little less interested in him as a host, and hope they cast a wide net to find a host for season 38.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 am
davey wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am A clue that confused me on this show: During The Renaissance for $800. When Alex gave the name of the city "in Italian," I assumed that he was using a heavy "Italian" accent, as he was wont to do, to say "Mantua" - never knew there was a v in it. So i couldn't tell what he was asking for... :oops:
He was saying its Italian name, Mantova.
Yes, that's something I learned yesterday...I wonder if anyone else was confused by it... :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

To be fair, hosting a category is different than reading the answers at the main podium. Not a huge fan of him getting the job but I will give him a chance. But I will watch no matter who the host is.

Good bet by Jason on the DD as he could have won on a sole get if he had gotten the DD right. I said Daily Mirror and was worried since Alex just said Mirror but Daily is part of the official title. I also added Wonderful as it is part of the official name of the book.

Congratulations to TPH on running the newspaper category. He usually doesn’t do well with those.

Had FJ before the music started. I did have a brief consideration of the Headless Horseman. But I guess it would be hard to howl without a head.