Wednesday, December 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by SBurrus »

I had been on a sizzling string (for me) on Jeopardy the previous six episodes but that all came to an end today; by the first commercial break, I had already missed three clues and it wasn't until late in DJ that I finally got on a roll.

Brayden seems like a silent assassin; baby-faced on the surface but potent knowledge base for the Jeopardy board.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Braden leaves too much money on the table.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 pm I too thought ROYALTY meant "Watch out - it's not necessarily British!", but I guessed the right answer. I was primed by a recent episode of Master Minds, which asked about the "divorced/beheaded/died" rhyme.
Assonance.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:28 pm Somehow Sam Spade = Maltese Falcon is a match I've never had to make before. I thought they were two separate things.
I mean, they are two separate things throughout the course of the novel.
You beat me to it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:51 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 pm Lithotripsy was a weird clue. Kidney stones is certainly one correct response, but lithotripsy is also used for gallstones. I said "stones", and probably would have gone "gall" on a BMS. I hope they had that on the sheet - it would 100% be an easy reversal after a 2 second Google search.
I had gallstones, too.
Ouch. Hope you're feeling better.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I like the side-eye look Brayden gives when he's trying to read the Daily Doubles. I'm assuming he must see out of one eye better than the other.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:48 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 pm
davey wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 pm Lithotripsy was a weird clue. Kidney stones is certainly one correct response, but lithotripsy is also used for gallstones. I said "stones", and probably would have gone "gall" on a BMS. I hope they had that on the sheet - it would 100% be an easy reversal after a 2 second Google search.
I had gallstones, too.
Since the category was "Medical Terms," I have little doubt just stones would have been accepted. Unless there's a kind of stone in the body that lithotripsy is not used for?
Tonsil stones, probably
Wow, I never heard of them...Let's say gallstones OR kidney stones then. Alex doesn't always give alternate responses.
Piece of advice - don't put "tonsil stones" into YouTube. I've had them. They're minorly annoying, and I had to hack one up a little bit like Bill the Cat would hack up a hairball. ACK! But actually, a worse experience than watching them on YouTube is catching a whiff of one of them when they come out. The word "fetid" comes to mind.

I just did the math - my dad was just a couple of years older than I am when he had his gallbladder removed for gallstones. So, yay, I have that to possibly look forward to.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Brayden once again wagered roughly a tithe of his score. He needs to divide his pre-FJ score by 9, not 10 if he wants to keep that amount after tithing on his winnings. Another really impressive performance here. I won't jinx him by saying more. In fact, forget I brought up the j-word at all.

FJ's an old trivia chestnut. I took a course on this period of history at UCLA and wrote a paper on this very subject. It got a B. Well that's good enough for Jeopardy! anyway, huh Prof. Block? I remember watching the occasional episode of the newly revived game show back then. It was in its second season. That and Letterman are the only two shows I recall watching.

Since I knew the correct response it didn't even occur to me that someone might guess a female monarch. But I can see how the clue's concealing the author's gender might seem artful and TOM-ish. On the other hand, I can't think of anything written by a woman from the time period--certainly nothing on the subject of theology. It seems unlikely that even a member of the Monstruous Regiment would have dared to come forth with a theological treatise.

The title of course points to Roman Catholic authorship since Luther acknowledged only the two sacraments specifically instituted by Jesus--Baptism and the Lord's Supper. Henry was defending the Pope's authority to provide an expansion pack at his discretion. Those who connect Henry with Protestantism could get faked out by this aspect of the clue. But those who dig a little deeper remember that Henry was initially quite proud of his RC cred and had to be talked into (and talk himself into) leaving the Church.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Anyone else for Ferdinand? I ruled out Henry VIII as too obvious. :|
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Precalling Kim Campbell, whom I adore

HOO! HOO! HOO! (Indiana native and IU alumnus for undergrad and my first Master's)

I think Brayden thought Florida was too easy for a $600 clue, and I kind of felt the same way

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I'm going for a hot Ding-Dong. Hot Ding-Dong? Yeah.

Damn, no Kim Campbell

"Silk Road" means something else nowadays, of course. Or I guess it did, from what I understand it's basically shut down now.

Back when they were a thing (RIP Flash, whenever the hell it was-December 31, 2020), there was a Flash game on I think shockwave.com where some guy would exclaim "Tarnation!" in an exaggerated drawl, and I can't hear that word anymore without hearing it in that voice

Kind of shocked that Spencer didn't pick up the rebound on "begorrah"

Damn, Brayden!

Coryat: $42,200

J: 26R2P2W. Got DD. 5/5 on Double "O," Countries, and Gingerbread. 4/5 on US Fact Sheet (Columbia River) and This & That. 3/5 on TV Comedies (I said Rachel instead of Monica)

DJ: 23R3P1W. 5/5 on Cave and High Note. 4/4 on Boats & Ships. 4/5 on Minced Oaths (couldn't come up with "jeepers creepers" in time). 3/4 on Medical Terms (hematoma instead of contusion).

FJ: Nailed it. Thought about Charles V for a while, but then I remembered that Henry VIII wrote something that in hindsight ended up being rather ironic.

LT: Chile, Cutty Sark, Turandot, begorrah
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:47 pm Brayden is 8/8 after two games on wagering clues.

cheezguyty: Any big names on the list for doing that in their first two games?
Jennifer Quail is the only other person I could find who has done that (keeping in mind that many early ToCers don't have their original runs Archived).

Brayden has a chance to join James Holzhauer as the (perhaps) only players to go 12/12 on DDs and FJs in three straight games.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

The appearance of Alice in Wonderland in this game had me thinking of a recent discussion here, that J! routinely accepts common yet incorrect titles for some books (The Wizard of Oz being another). Any others where a technically incorrect title is commonly accepted? Not including dropped articles.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else answer "King Don" rather than "Ding Dong?" They were known by that name for a while in the U.S. and apparently still are in Canada.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:54 am The appearance of Alice in Wonderland in this game had me thinking of a recent discussion here, that J! routinely accepts common yet incorrect titles for some books (The Wizard of Oz being another). Any others where a technically incorrect title is commonly accepted? Not including dropped articles.
Dodie Smith's original novel was titled The Hundred and One Dalmatians, but the Disney adaptation's title is One Hundred and One Dalmatians, and the latter title will be accepted even when J! asks for the book. And because both titles have been rendered numerically since then (and Disney's live action version was titled that way), you can probably get away with dropping the "and" too.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:54 am The appearance of Alice in Wonderland in this game had me thinking of a recent discussion here, that J! routinely accepts common yet incorrect titles for some books (The Wizard of Oz being another). Any others where a technically incorrect title is commonly accepted? Not including dropped articles.
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:51 pm
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations.
Yes, makes think of Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:23 pm
Dodie Smith's original novel was titled The Hundred and One Dalmatians, but the Disney adaptation's title is One Hundred and One Dalmatians, and the latter title will be accepted even when J! asks for the book. And because both titles have been rendered numerically since then (and Disney's live action version was titled that way), you can probably get away with dropping the "and" too.
Good one - I wouldn't have been able to name Dodie Smith but this has several appearances in the archive.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 pm
davey wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:20 pm
I had gallstones, too.
Since the category was "Medical Terms," I have little doubt just stones would have been accepted. Unless there's a kind of stone in the body that lithotripsy is not used for?
Tonsil stones, probably
And otoliths. I would REALLY not like to have an ultrasound pointed at my inner ear.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*common yet incorrect titles of books based on the original printing

Though I was about to offer up [On the] Origin of Species but whaddya know?
https://www.amazon.com/Origin-Species-1 ... 451529065/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Not a great example, but it seems like hardly anyone realizes the correct title of the Melville novel is Moby-Dick ("Moby-Dick; or, The Whale" if you want to be 100% correct). It seems like most people omit the hyphen and render it as Moby Dick.