Tuesday, March 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Historical Facts & Figures
This site was active from 1892 to 1954; its busiest day was April 17, 1907, when 11,747 were processed.
Spoiler
What is Ellis Island
Melanie Spratford: $10,400+$8,801=$19,201...now a 1-day champion with $19,201
Alex Wright: $9,600+$7,000=$16,600
Vince Gatton: $8,000+$7,800=$15,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9/30, 15/30.

Infinity for $200… wow, can you say undervlaued?

Also, what the heck was the TOM for that caviar clue? Nothing in that clue sounded caviar-y to me.

Well, gee, only any state by the ocean could have a whale as its state mammal, couldn't it?

And how would we know to rule out Tennessee on that Cumberland clue? "All the way to Washington DC" sounds like it'd be, ya know, a little further from DC than Maryland is.

Lach Trash on Get Rich Click (total WAG), Oregon and the two Triple Rhyme Times that stumped them. Yay.

Librettist was also a total ex-recto on my part, but it helped me run Music. Double yay.

Absolutely lost on FJ! What was Alex talking about with "It's not apples or peaches"? I see no hints in the clue at all.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

It took me a few seconds to process the FJ clue, but once I did I quickly arrived at the correct response.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

It has to suck, fighting furiously to get that last (insanely overvalued) clue to no avail, knowing the second the FJ clue was revealed that it would be a easy-peasy triple get, and knowing you're a goner. Oh well, throw another 1 day champ on the barbie. So er...yeah, Instaget FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

Unlike most wordplay categories lately, Triple Rhyme Time had me groaning AND smiling at the same time.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Absolutely lost on FJ! What was Alex talking about with "It's not apples or peaches"? I see no hints in the clue at all.
He meant you had to think of people being "processed" for immigration, not food. The years in the clue were the biggest hints for me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:So er...yeah, Instaget FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.
*nod* Even if I hadn't just been there last May, it was still a no-brainer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DWS wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Absolutely lost on FJ! What was Alex talking about with "It's not apples or peaches"? I see no hints in the clue at all.
He meant you had to think of people being "processed" for immigration, not food.
I didn't get that far. I was totally baffled at what the hell could be processed in that number.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

In honor of tonight's FJ, switching back to my pre-fame avatar.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:9/30, 15/30.

Infinity for $200… wow, can you say undervlaued?

Also, what the heck was the TOM for that caviar clue? Nothing in that clue sounded caviar-y to me.

Well, gee, only any state by the ocean could have a whale as its state mammal, couldn't it?

And how would we know to rule out Tennessee on that Cumberland clue? "All the way to Washington DC" sounds like it'd be, ya know, a little further from DC than Maryland is.

Lach Trash on Get Rich Click (total WAG), Oregon and the two Triple Rhyme Times that stumped them. Yay.

Librettist was also a total ex-recto on my part, but it helped me run Music. Double yay.

Absolutely lost on FJ! What was Alex talking about with "It's not apples or peaches"? I see no hints in the clue at all.
I said ellipsis for the infinity clue, which I will count.

I hate to feed TPH but something expensive plus Caspian is caviar. The clue strongly suggested a "big" state for the whale, so Alaska made sense. And Cumberland TN is an okay guess, but there is a Cumberland MD and you can build a canal to DC from it without having to negotiate the Appalachian Mts.

I remember a time when Jeopardy would just ask for Dryden, not ask the contestants to parse a quote of his. I suspect since this isn't "knowledge" such clumsy questions are considered "easier" than asking who Dryden is. If someone said "the universe," would it count? I think so, you're asking someone to parse poetic language. What a silly way to approach a question.

I do have a problem with three sharp contestants (ok not in Monarchs or States) who have trouble getting the triple rhymes or the "Get Rich Click." I think this is stuff they ALL WOULD KNOW if give ten seconds, but they're asked to process a whole lot and I am not surprised to see them not pull these. Something about that didn't sit right with me.

Not sure what happened on States, those were all pretty straightforward if you ask me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:I said ellipsis for the infinity clue, which I will count.
Ditto
ACW

Post by ACW »

Near-instaget 8-)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I said ellipsis for the infinity clue, which I will count.
Ditto
Ditto²
HugoZ wrote:In honor of tonight's FJ, switching back to my pre-fame avatar.
That reminds me...time to retire the presidential look.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For those of us who didn't pay attention, how did the whole presidential avatar meme start?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

xxaaaxx wrote: That reminds me...time to retire the presidential look.
I think I'll keep mine for a little while longer, given that it was just a Daily Double response. :mrgreen:
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For those of us who didn't pay attention, how did the whole presidential avatar meme start?
TD145 - Presidential Groundhog Day. We all got assigned presidents based on where we finished in the standings, and someone came up with the idea of changing our avatars to match.
goforthetie wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: That reminds me...time to retire the presidential look.
I think I'll keep mine for a little while longer, given that it was just a Daily Double response. :mrgreen:
Once again I'll express how much I envy you; you got the win, and a great avatar :mrgreen:

As an aside, I'm actually looking forward to the movie.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I just realized I don't have an avatar yet. I should totally go for the pun and make it a picture of Aang.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I shall offer my congratulations to Miss Mellie on her awesome victory and my condolences to Alex (who nonetheless will always hold the esteemed title of J! Champ). Represent, JBoardies! That makes three J! Champ ranks to hand out since Friday. I'd ask when the last time three JBoardies won in a row, but someone might actually answer.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

How about wile for guile? Both end in "ile." Thought the material was a little harder tonight, hard to get a rhythm.
Last edited by heisman65 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.