Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

It's time to update Raynell Cooper's J! Player Page.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:24 am It's time to update Raynell Cooper's J! Player Page.
Done. I included Emily Hill since she was at the end also. What other game show has she been on as I'm sure I've seen here previously?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Has Ari appeared on any other game shows?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:02 pm Has Ari appeared on any other game shows?
Ari was hella impressive, right up there with Monikka and Jeffrey as the strongest trivia players to appear this year
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:44 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:02 pm Has Ari appeared on any other game shows?
Ari was hella impressive, right up there with Monikka and Jeffrey as the strongest trivia players to appear this year
No archive hits for Nicole Grant, Mitchell Huang or Ari Pollack. If Ari has not been on any other game shows then he should be trying out for anything available in a year.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Anybody besides me start laughing in this week's Final Chase round when a question about a "cloche" popped up (for the surviving challengers, not for Chaser of the Week Ken Jennings)?

Those who were watching Jeopardy! the day Ken's original 75-game streak ended all remember the Final question about H&R Block unseating him, but the missed Daily Double near the end of the Double Jeopardy round was the clue that prevented him going into Final with his customary unbeatable lead. A clue to which the correct response would have been "what is a cloche?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 9/19 ep. had applauding James's cookie comment. Samoas are in no way the best.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If I take the higher offer and don't end up banking it, I want to go out like Warren did, getting the first two questions wrong, so I can console myself with the assumption that missing the first two probably would have meant being caught even if I'd stuck with the default.

Warren's questions:
In the first U.S. presidential election, George Washington got the most votes and John Adams came in second. Who came in third?
John Jay | John Hancock | Thomas Jefferson

Where would Meghan Markle and Prince Harry be if they were visiting Queen Elizabeth National Park?
Australia | The Philippines | Uganda
correct answers and commentary
John Jay and Uganda were the correct answers. For his professed risk-taking, Warren fell into the trap of the safest choice for each question, choosing the guy who eventually became president for the first question and the British Commonwealth country for the second. When I don't know a question on The Chase, I frequently make a 50/50 out of it by deciding to eliminate the most obvious answer. I saw Jefferson and Australia as negbait and went the right way with the remaining answers both times.
I understand this to have been the season finale, so I was expecting it to go out with a victory against a chaser. It was not to be, but I was kept guessing when James got two steps away from Amanda at 47 seconds remaining, and didn't catch her until 15 seconds were left. Before James began, I said Amanda would need at least two pushbacks; she only got one (not for lack of opportunity), and ended up probably still needing at least two more.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ABC can be a little weird with how they air game shows and number them. I think of tonight as more of a midseason finale and the 2nd half will air as S2E11 whenever that may be. January 2022 would be my guess, but it could be around the holidays when other shows are in reruns.

Next Sunday is Celebrity WOF followed by Leslie Jones yelling in the supermarket.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:29 am I understand this to have been the season finale
I can assure you there are more episodes this season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:45 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:29 am I understand this to have been the season finale
I can assure you there are more episodes this season.
Thanks. My jump to conclusion was from Brad's tweet where he said "Last chance to tune in (for a while anyway)!" But yeah, even if I had known it was just a mid-season hiatus we're coming up on, I still would have assumed we were being set up for a triumph to tide us over.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Did not know Shaquille O’Neil’s son and daughter either. Wasn’t making fun of Joseph for that, but mixing up The Magic Flute with Die Fleidermaus. :?

NHO Fixer Upper

Nixtamalization. I thought nix-, so it has to do with night.
WRONG. Evidently, it comes from a Nahuatl word meaning lime.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was really rooting for the lady after she mentioned she was playing for her dad who had died from pancreatic cancer and I think James felt bad for beating her.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:43 pm Did not know Shaquille O’Neil’s son and daughter either. Wasn’t making fun of Joseph for that, but mixing up The Magic Flute with Die Fleidermaus. :?

NHO Fixer Upper

Nixtamalization: when a Mexican restaurant eliminates tamales from the menu
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
davey

Post by davey »

Nixtamalization-
Earlier in the week I read a New Yorker magazine article about the French fast food hybrid known as tacos (singular). It mentions how corn tortillas are prepared, using the word without explaining it, but it was enough...Usually I do the quiz, then see a helpful article... ;)
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021 ... gI7MfD_BwE
davey

Post by davey »

Can someone post the clue that included nixtamalization, and the choices, if possible?
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:13 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:43 pm Did not know Shaquille O’Neil’s son and daughter either. Wasn’t making fun of Joseph for that, but mixing up The Magic Flute with Die Fleidermaus. :?

NHO Fixer Upper

Nixtamalization: when a Mexican restaurant eliminates tamales from the menu
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day...at least in NYC, there's a taqueria on every other corner but you seldom see tamales on the menu.
https://ny.eater.com/2019/4/19/18485850 ... upitas-nyc
LucarioSnooperVixey

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:13 pm Nixtamalization: when a Mexican restaurant eliminates tamales from the menu
Always in favor of that decision. I hate tamales.
Douglas Squasoni
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The remainder of Season 2 of The Chase will air on Wednesdays starting January 5.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

We're back tonight! The show's publicity page hasn't been updated since September, and I don't recognize the players in the pictures I've seen on social media, so no word (from me) on whether any J! Archive player pages need editing.