Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What joy is there in a show that hinges entirely on insults and trash talk?

I have the same question about The Weakest Link, btw.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Diva was not wrong when she talked about having a tough time on Jeopardy - look at what the competition did that day!
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4059

Excellent team tonight. James came oh so close.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

All three players were J! contestants. The other two: https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=3973 https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=10336

My DVR is unpredictable, but today it functioned normally, which I'm glad about because I was out of the house and this episode was a must-see.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 pm What joy is there in a show that hinges entirely on insults and trash talk?
Are we watching the same show?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:43 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 pm What joy is there in a show that hinges entirely on insults and trash talk?
You mean the show where the smartest people on earth bully the contestants before each round? Yeah, sounds like the same show to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:12 am All three players were J! contestants. The other two: https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=3973 https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=10336

My DVR is unpredictable, but today it functioned normally, which I'm glad about because I was out of the house and this episode was a must-see.
Thanks for rounding up the player names. It was fun to see 3 J! alums vs. James. I've updated their player pages.
davey

Post by davey »

yclept wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:07 am Diva was not wrong when she talked about having a tough time on Jeopardy - look at what the competition did that day!

The most notable aspect besides the enormous payday was how poorly James did throughout.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:56 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:43 am
You mean the show where the smartest people on earth bully the contestants before each round? Yeah, sounds like the same show to me.
The tone and spirit are not at all close to The Weakest Link. For one thing the contestants have ample opportunity to fight back. I don't watch many of these shows and I abhor TWL but I've come to find The Chase really nifty. Especially last night!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Biden's German Shepherds question is sadly outdated as Champ passed away a few days ago.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:47 am The tone and spirit are not at all close to The Weakest Link. For one thing the contestants have ample opportunity to fight back.
So it's okay to call someone a [bleep] if you can call them a [bleep] right back?
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:47 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:47 am The tone and spirit are not at all close to The Weakest Link. For one thing the contestants have ample opportunity to fight back.
So it's okay to call someone a [bleep] if you can call them a [bleep] right back?
Have they bleeped words on the show? I doubt it. I detect a sense of humor in most of the repartee I've heard, though I haven't regularly watched earlier versions of the show.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re:"The Chase" 6-20-21 [Spoilers]

Post by Category 13 »

I was a little disappointed when the second contestant turned down James' offer of $250,000, then beat him handily.
mahatma

Re: Re:"The Chase" 6-20-21 [Spoilers]

Post by mahatma »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:00 am I was a little disappointed when the second contestant turned down James' offer of $250,000, then beat him handily.
I don't think people are being 100% rational when evaluating these higher/lower offers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:26 pm
Have they bleeped words on the show? I doubt it. I detect a sense of humor in most of the repartee I've heard, though I haven't regularly watched earlier versions of the show.
The Beast was a bit savage last week towards 2 of the 3 players, but then the one guy who said Alps for Himalayas perked up in the final chase. The trash talking doesn't bother me - besides, the contestants should know what they're signing up for
yclept

Post by yclept »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:11 am
The Beast was a bit savage last week towards 2 of the 3 players, but then the one guy who said Alps for Himalayas perked up in the final chase. The trash talking doesn't bother me - besides, the contestants should know what they're signing up for
The trash talking is fine by me, as well. The only one who doesn’t bring as much snark to the table is Brad.
yclept

Post by yclept »

davey wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:42 am
yclept wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:07 am Diva was not wrong when she talked about having a tough time on Jeopardy - look at what the competition did that day!

The most notable aspect besides the enormous payday was how poorly James did throughout.
He was bad during the second round, no doubt. All three could have made it down the board if they chose the highest offer.

In the chase round, he started slowly as well and it looked like it would be a blowout. But he suddenly went on a huge run. He got to the point where he could have caught them a few times. That is what I have always loved about the game - the chaser can just get on a crazy run and come back from what looks like a big deficit. It helps that Sara has improved to the point where I don’t think she is any slower than Brooke.
Leander

Post by Leander »

yclept wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:44 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:11 am
The trash talking is fine by me, as well. The only one who doesn’t bring as much snark to the table is Brad.
I find the attempts by all three American chasers to be snarky to be pretty awkward, like it doesn’t fit their personalities at all, even James. The Beast is a different story on the daytime version of the show, but I found even him to be relatively subdued last week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Always seemed to me that the head start is kinda backwards. A single person should get a 3 step head start and a group of 3 should only get one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:26 pm Have they bleeped words on the show? I doubt it. I detect a sense of humor in most of the repartee I've heard, though I haven't regularly watched earlier versions of the show.
Because saying "just kidding" after a filthy insult makes it right?
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:19 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:26 pm Have they bleeped words on the show? I doubt it. I detect a sense of humor in most of the repartee I've heard, though I haven't regularly watched earlier versions of the show.
Because saying "just kidding" after a filthy insult makes it right?
Calm down, tiger...Nobody's asking you to go on the show....Sorry if that's too filthy for you... :roll:
Maybe I should mention at this point that since I've been watching lately I fast forward through some of the preliminaries (it's easy to do), so I may have missed something appalling. But I doubt it... :)