Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by Rackme32 »

Interestingly, there are no scheduled episodes for at least the next 12 days, according to online listings at several sites...

No news anywhere that the show was canceled; what gives?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Because of the NBA postseason and the upcoming Olympics, ABC isn't airing new episodes for a few weeks.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

There is no NBA Finals game on 7/18, so it could be a new ep. airs that Sunday. Eps with each Chaser have aired so far this season. Let's say they did (are doing?) 12 to make it 3 each for the guys.

There would be 8 left to show. If the summer season goes through the end of September then there would be about 11 weeks to get them in. I don't know if ABC will run chicken during the Olympics or try new shows to counter program? The Chase is definitely not cancelled and I'm guessing it's only 1/3 over.

I can't remember the site I saw it, but someone mentioned Michael Bilow will appear.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

It's my understanding that 18 episodes were taped for S2, and that the airings of the new shows will run well into the fall.

But yes, the current hiatus in new episodes is due mostly to the NBA playoffs and the Olympics.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
medevam

Post by medevam »

According to the publicity site, the next new episode airs on July 18. (If you click through, be warned that the images spoil quite a bit of the results.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought that was a rough Final Chase for the team (consisting of these three), but The Beast had a rougher one. Congrats to them!
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

The sound effects during the final chase are so loud.

I always struggle to hear the first few words of the question in those rounds.
yclept

Post by yclept »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:07 am I thought that was a rough Final Chase for the team (consisting of these three), but The Beast had a rougher one. Congrats to them!
Not that 16 is a bad number, but you typically need more than that to knock off the Beast. In all the times I have watched the show (going back to the GSN days), I don't remember him being that far off. He pretty much had zero chance with 45 seconds on the clock (he did go on a run, but it was way too late).

For a moment, however, it didn't appear as if the three contestants were going to even get that high. It wasn't until the guy in the middle (forget their names) decided to take over on the signaling device. He won it for them.
Leander

Post by Leander »

bluejaylink wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:16 am The sound effects during the final chase are so loud.

I think the enunciation of the host is not the best, and for some reason I found her harder than usual to understand last night.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:07 am I thought that was a rough Final Chase for the team (consisting of these three), but The Beast had a rougher one. Congrats to them!
3 J! alums vs. any chaser seems to always be advantage contestants. Archive player pages updated.

Michael's suit? :o
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

From the FJ thread:
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:20 pm FAMILY DRAMA
The son-in-law of this famous playwright, who won his only Pulitzer in 1949, holds a record for most Academy Awards won by an actor.
Spoiler
Arthur Miller
Apparently The Beast does not subscribe to my newsletter.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Leander wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:54 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:16 am The sound effects during the final chase are so loud.

I think the enunciation of the host is not the best, and for some reason I found her harder than usual to understand last night.
Yes, and in one question Sunday night she just flat out didn't enunciate a key word. It was asking for a "ballet skirt", I think, but the word after ballet was just not clear at all, causing one of the players to buzz in and say "jete". (Presumably he guessed that it said "ballet term".) I had to replay 2-3 times and still couldn't make out the word, eventually turning on closed captions in order to find out what it was supposed to be.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That was my roughest game on the multiple choice questions so far. It didn't go much better for the contestants, as two (including one J! champ) were caught by Brad after their cash builders. Andrew Haringer fared better in that round, and put up a respectable score in the Final Chase, but could only convert one of Brad's wrong answers into a pushback, and got caught. Is he the first ToCer in this incarnation of the show not to prevail in the end?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Larry King died?!?! When did that happen?
Douglas Squasoni
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:06 am Larry King died?!?! When did that happen?
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/23/us/larry ... index.html
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 am That was my roughest game on the multiple choice questions so far. It didn't go much better for the contestants, as two (including one J! champ) were caught by Brad after their cash builders. Andrew Haringer fared better in that round, and put up a respectable score in the Final Chase, but could only convert one of Brad's wrong answers into a pushback, and got caught. Is he the first ToCer in this incarnation of the show not to prevail in the end?
I gave the J! alums a line on their bio pages. Should I have capitalized "cash builder" and "final chase"?

The lounge reaction to Chasey Kasem was almost as funny as the ballcock Q.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 pm
I gave the J! alums a line on their bio pages. Should I have capitalized "cash builder" and "final chase"?
They're the names of rounds, so I would.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Denise didn't get caught during the Cash Builder round, she got caught during the head-to-head round. It would be quite unfair if someone was actually caught during the cash builder round.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 am Denise didn't get caught during the Cash Builder round, she got caught during the head-to-head round. It would be quite unfair if someone was actually caught during the cash builder round.
Fixed it, thanks.

econgator: Okay, uppercase for the rounds. Thanks.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

No Episode in the US this week in favor of a ABC Special new Report regarding the events in Afghanistan this past week. Interestingly enough Its still airing in canada.