2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:32 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:58 pm
econgator wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:26 pm
Clark County (Las Vegas & Nevada) has voted to change McCarran International Airport to Harry Reid.
Honestly, if they need to change the name, there's really nothing wrong with Las Vegas International Airport.
Which would immediately be nicknamed a pun or wordplay on 57, if some such exists.
You mean 56?
Yes. Brain hiccup. Thanks. So, in the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Never mind."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7418
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:06 pm
econgator wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:32 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:58 pm
econgator wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:26 pm
Clark County (Las Vegas & Nevada) has voted to change McCarran International Airport to Harry Reid.
Honestly, if they need to change the name, there's really nothing wrong with Las Vegas International Airport.
Which would immediately be nicknamed a pun or wordplay on 57, if some such exists.
You mean 56?
Yes. Brain hiccup. Thanks. So, in the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Never mind."
How about calling it Joe DiMaggio, then?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9356
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:26 pm
How about calling it Joe DiMaggio, then?
That works.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9356
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by econgator »

So, I see Notre Dame is opting out of EA's NCAA College Football game until such a time as the NIL rules are better defined and player will get properly compensated.

Is there some legal difference between 'image' and 'likeness'? The online dictionary has them as synonyms, but is 'image' you physical features and likeness is "QB #12 on the UF football team"?

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1171
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:09 pm
So, I see Notre Dame is opting out of EA's NCAA College Football game until such a time as the NIL rules are better defined and player will get properly compensated.

Is there some legal difference between 'image' and 'likeness'? The online dictionary has them as synonyms, but is 'image' you physical features and likeness is "QB #12 on the UF football team"?
In a nutshell, your "likeness" is a picture of you, and your "image" includes any of a number of attributes, including likeness, voice, mannerisms, style of dress, etc.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7656
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:09 pm
So, I see Notre Dame is opting out of EA's NCAA College Football game until such a time as the NIL rules are better defined and player will get properly compensated.

Is there some legal difference between 'image' and 'likeness'? The online dictionary has them as synonyms, but is 'image' you physical features and likeness is "QB #12 on the UF football team"?
Color me impressed when Notre Dame opts out of an NCAA season because their players aren't properly compensated...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Beauty and the Beast (Disney, 2017) (7), Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (5), CHiPS (7), Pickpocket (8)

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by trainman »

On the most recent trip I took, in the summer of 2019, some friends and I stayed in a house near Zion National Park in Utah. The house was rented via VRBO.com. (It's essentially an Airbnb competitor, although it's actually been around over a decade longer.)

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5434
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:09 pm
On the most recent trip I took, in the summer of 2019, some friends and I stayed in a house near Zion National Park in Utah. The house was rented via VRBO.com. (It's essentially an Airbnb competitor, although it's actually been around over a decade longer.)
I've been using VRBO for a long time. It's sort of weird that AirBnB seems to get the credit for this business model. Seems like the only innovation they had was focusing on a mobile app.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10691
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 am
The Spanish enclave of Melilla, on the Moroccan coast, has taken down the last statue to Francisco Franco on Spanish soil

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56177819
It was not until 2007 that a Law of Historical Memory was passed that attempted to recognise the suffering of victims of Francoism.

Under that law, symbols of the dictatorship have slowly been removed, including other high-profile statues around Spain.

Elena Fernandez Trevino, of the Melilla assembly, described the removal of the enclave's Franco statue as an "historic day".

She said it was the "only statue dedicated to a dictator still in the public sphere in Europe".
But how will the people of Spain know about Franco if he doesn’t have a statue?

(This is a satirical comment about people who freak out over talking down statues to Civil War soldiers).

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:25 am
Volante wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 am
The Spanish enclave of Melilla, on the Moroccan coast, has taken down the last statue to Francisco Franco on Spanish soil

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56177819
It was not until 2007 that a Law of Historical Memory was passed that attempted to recognise the suffering of victims of Francoism.

Under that law, symbols of the dictatorship have slowly been removed, including other high-profile statues around Spain.

Elena Fernandez Trevino, of the Melilla assembly, described the removal of the enclave's Franco statue as an "historic day".

She said it was the "only statue dedicated to a dictator still in the public sphere in Europe".
But how will the people of Spain know about Franco if he doesn’t have a statue?

(This is a satirical comment about people who freak out over talking down statues to Civil War soldiers).
from old episodes of SNL
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10691
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Bamaman »

They moved his casket in 2019. Not sure if they checked to see if he is still dead.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Golf »

The Study Guide, STUDY GUIDE thread is quite useful. Too bad page 5 has turned into a crapstorm of repeat and junk posts. This thread exists for a reason.

Sorry, rant over. That had been building for a while.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4344
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm
Mr. Potato Head is dropping the title from its name, and will be known as simply "Potato Head" starting in the fall.
I wonder how this will affect the marriage??

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 736
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:21 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm
Mr. Potato Head is dropping the title from its name, and will be known as simply "Potato Head" starting in the fall.
I wonder how this will affect the marriage??
Toy Story 5 practically writes itself. Take the plot of The Danish Girl and change a few things. Like, make the characters potatoes.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5434
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:22 pm
The Study Guide, STUDY GUIDE thread is quite useful. Too bad page 5 has turned into a crapstorm of repeat and junk posts. This thread exists for a reason.
I just looked at page 5 and didn't see what you were talking about. Have posts been removed?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7418
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 pm
Golf wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:22 pm
The Study Guide, STUDY GUIDE thread is quite useful. Too bad page 5 has turned into a crapstorm of repeat and junk posts. This thread exists for a reason.
I just looked at page 5 and didn't see what you were talking about. Have posts been removed?
The repeat post, the one calling it out, and the apology have been removed. I'm not sure what else there is/was.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:08 pm
To give Golf more high quality posts to enjoy on this page 5:

Rebel Wilson will host a dog grooming competition show on ABC called Pooch Perfect.

Rebel, of course, played Fat Amy in the Pitch Perfect films.
Ha!

Current TV is always Jeopardy fair game. And it's actually a reboot of her earlier Australian TV show. (I didn't know anything about this show until 30 seconds ago)

If the fact that Mr. Potato Head is dropping Mr. from it's title is ever useful, I'll never comment on this again. :shock: :D (just my opinion)

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4344
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:53 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm
Mr. Potato Head is dropping the title from its name, and will be known as simply "Potato Head" starting in the fall.
Not quite true. They're changing the overall branding of the product line to Potato Head, but Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head will still be around.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure about this move: Can it be considered a victory against the tater-archy? If so, I hope the reaction doesn't nip it in the spud!

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9356
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 pm
Golf wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:22 pm
The Study Guide, STUDY GUIDE thread is quite useful. Too bad page 5 has turned into a crapstorm of repeat and junk posts. This thread exists for a reason.
I just looked at page 5 and didn't see what you were talking about. Have posts been removed?
Yes, I removed them. It was 4 posts, so I'm not sure that quite reaches the level of 'crapstorm'.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2462
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:21 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm
Mr. Potato Head is dropping the title from its name, and will be known as simply "Potato Head" starting in the fall.
I wonder how this will affect the marriage??
This seems as good a place as any to drop this pic a friend of mine posted yesterday:
KatietheCarrot.jpg
KatietheCarrot.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 464 times

Post Reply