2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by econgator »

Yep ...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Robert K S »

Tamlyn Tomita, who played the love interest in The Karate Kid Part II and is reprising her role in a forthcoming two-episode arc of Cobra Kai, was a presidential elector for California in 2020.

https://capa21.com/2020/12/17/tamlyn-to ... l-college/
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... karate-kid
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Adobe Flash (remember when it was called Shockwave Flash?) is officially dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55497353

If I had been able to figure out how to get the beta version of the Amfphp remoting library to work in summer 2004, the J! Archive would have been written entirely in Flash (the boards would have used Flash for animated display). This is because I was originally inspired to teach myself PHP/MySQL in 2001 after I saw a presentation by a Cleveland Institute of Art student who had written a Flash app that drew upon data from a SQL database to create interesting displays (the precise nature of which I no longer remember). I was intrigued by what could be accomplished by empowering Flash with database functionality. Fortunately, I never could get the PHP/Flash interface to work correctly and scaled back my ambitions to just using some simple JavaScript to do rudimentary response display upon mouseover. Needless to say, in retrospect, I'm glad I never devoted a lot of time to Flash programming, because anything ever written in Flash is now or will soon be unplayable for most people, except, I presume, those who keep around legacy setups for funsies.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm The 2021 NCAA Men's D-I basketball is expected to take place entirely in and around Indianapolis in late March. The venues are expected to include:

* Lucas Oil Stadium (home of the NFL's Colts)
* Bankers Life Fieldhouse (home of the NBA's Pacers)
* Indiana Farmers Coliseum (home court for IUPUI [Indiana University - Purdue University - Indianapolis])
* Hinkle Fieldhouse (home court for Butler)
* Mackey Arena (home court for Purdue)
* Assembly Hall (home court for Indiana)

The Indiana Convention Center will serve as a practice space for all teams.
I live in Indianapolis, so this would be a bonanza for me, except there might not be any spectators, and I'm not sure I would want to go out in even a small crowd with the current COVID situation.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:13 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm The 2021 NCAA Men's D-I basketball is expected to take place entirely in and around Indianapolis in late March. The venues are expected to include:

* Indiana Farmers Coliseum (home court for IUPUI [Indiana University - Purdue University - Indianapolis])

I live in Indianapolis, so this would be a bonanza for me, except there might not be any spectators, and I'm not sure I would want to go out in even a small crowd with the current COVID situation.
It seems kind of strange that they'd need to rent out these massive venues if there aren't even going to be any fans in the seats, doesn't it? Why on earth could they possibly need to use Lucas Oil Stadium for the Final Four?
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 pm

It seems kind of strange that they'd need to rent out these massive venues if there aren't even going to be any fans in the seats, doesn't it? Why on earth could they possibly need to use Lucas Oil Stadium for the Final Four?
Lucas Oil was already the planned host site for the 2021 Final Four, long before the pandemic hit.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:24 pm

Lucas Oil was already the planned host site for the 2021 Final Four, long before the pandemic hit.
Good point. I had always assumed the Final Four locations were awarded to a city more than to a particular venue, but the NCAA page does list the venues: https://www.ncaa.com/final-four/future-info

I realize the bid would need to be built around a particular venue, but this is certainly an unusual year. It just seems strange to be playing the games in a largely empty football stadium.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

While a high school might seem logical, there’s also a matter of facilities for the press, and the broadcast, including concern for how it looks on TV not only today, but in future use of footage.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Good point. I had always assumed the Final Four locations were awarded to a city more than to a particular venue, but the NCAA page does list the venues: https://www.ncaa.com/final-four/future-info

I realize the bid would need to be built around a particular venue, but this is certainly an unusual year. It just seems strange to be playing the games in a largely empty football stadium.
They still need the media infrastructure and lighting. A high school gym wouldn't cut it. But I agree, Lucas Oil seems like overkill when Bankers Life would work just fine.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Between already having the stadium scheduled years in advance, likely contract issues if they tried to back out (which would also have ramifications beyond that--the stadium is owned by the state and managed by the unified Indianapolis-Marion County government, and the NCAA has had a fairly good relationship with both since they moved their HQ there), and the fact that even if it might now be overkill the NCAA, Turner, and CBS have experience operating a major event and prestige national television broadcast out of the facility, it probably wasn't worth the trouble to move it somewhere else.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:15 pm They still need the media infrastructure and lighting. A high school gym wouldn't cut it. But I agree, Lucas Oil seems like overkill when Bankers Life would work just fine.
The native Hoosier in me is tempted to defend the honor of Indiana high school gyms, but truthfully you're right. If nothing else, high school courts are about ten feet shorter than college courts. A lot of gyms have retracting bleachers that can probably be pulled back to add the space, but you'd still have to move the baskets (sometimes they're in fixed positions, so this can be a complicated proposition), paint the key and three-point line in the proper locations, etc. (admittedly, they do some repainting anyway to remove the prumary tenant's branding and replace it with the NCAA's for the duration of the tournament, so this is probably a comparatively minor extra), and furthermore locker-room facilities probably aren't up to what major D1 teams are expecting.

The issue with Bankers Life is NBA scheduling issues. I know the NBA hasn't released the second-half schedule yet (and won't for some time), but anything that can be done to minimize potential conflicts and constraints would probably contribute to better feelings all around. It's probably understandable for the earlier-round games where the NCAA is scrambling to find venues at the last minute (by the standards of organizing an event of this size), but when you've already got a stadium scheduled you'd be hard-pressed to defend the decision to move it to another one and add a last-minute scheduling constraint in the heart of the primary tenant's season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree a high school court ain't gonna cut it, but why not the IUPUI arena or Butler's?

And, yeah, I guess we've got to remember that this event is only three months away and logistics for it are well underway. Bottom line is it probably doesn't make sense to upset the apple cart at this point--even if it is for the rest of the tourney.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Last time the Final Four was in Indy (2015), I went to the open practice at Lucas Oil. As a spectator, the venue is terrible. The court is elevated and there are bleachers on the actual field surrounding the court. It was impossible to see any action without opera glasses. However, I think it will be perfect for TV! I am surprised they are choosing to go to Assembly Hall and Mackey Arena (over an hour drive to each) rather than putting multiple courts on Lucas Oil or using the convention center.

Regardless, I am SUPER excited to have the "bubble" in Indy. Though we won't have the free concerts or street parties, this is huge for our local economy. I hope that the teams/press/support staff can cater in from local restaurants and offer a lifeline to survive.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

There are supposed to be two courts at Lucas Oil, although only one game will be played at a time there (I assume the other would be used for warm-ups and things of that nature).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator should switch back to his Trump "we did it!" avatar.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Trump needs to be removed from office now, immediately, without any further delay.

Trump called his supporters to come to Washington D.C. on the sixth to fight the election certification and said it was going to be wild. He spoke to the mob and told them to march on the Capitol. He reportedly hindered a security response to the breach. He orchestrated an attack on the Capitol while nearly all his political rivals were meeting there.

This coup is ongoing and has not ended. Right wing extremists are reportedly spreading the message that it was actually antifa that stormed the Capitol and they need to take action to save their country.

We should not wait for a follow up attack. Trump needs to be removed from office now. The weak security response at the Capitol suggests that some part of the security team is infiltrated by Trump supporters. Adequate security should not be taken for granted.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I agree but I fear invoking the 25th amendment would only make him more of a martyr and make his followers even crazier. I follow several mainstream news pages (and one far right one) in the heart of Trump country and they are already pretty bad.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I don’t think the 25th amendment is a real possibility. Impeachment and conviction should be used immediately.

There is no reason to consider the wants or feelings of the hardcore Trump supporters when deciding how to move forward. There is reason to be concerned about their actions, they will likely continue with escalating violence, but we should not worry about what they will do when deciding what needs to be done. They are going to have the expected reaction regardless of what steps are taken. They’re going to continue attacking even if you do what they want.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do you really think they could go through all the steps of an impeachment and removal in 13 days? Even if they rushed it through the House, would the Senate convict? Right now the Senate is 50-48 for the GOP. (The Georgia Democrats haven’t been sworn in yet but Perdue’s seat is vacant). I don’t see 18 Republicans voting to convict.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I think we’re in uncharted territory and a variety of previously unlikely things could happen. Your concerns about the impeachment process are valid. My amateur understanding is that the full process could take place in less than a day if both houses are in session and John Roberts is there, it could happen as quickly as they could take a vote.

Trump just orchestrated an attack on the Capitol while both houses were in session. Trump is willing to sacrifice his congressional allies to a violent mob if it keeps him in power. Another attempt may follow. I’m hopeful, but not confident, that they have the self-interest to recognize that he needs to be removed.