Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:35 pm Weird that video would go to a local outlet and not to one of the show's social media pages
I was thinking the same thing. I went to Jeopardy’s home page to specifically look for the video since we saw it for the others. Luckily I got a hit on the Detroit paper.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I would like to see Linda Ellerbee do it. Was she ever on Celebrity Jeopardy?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:50 am I would like to see Linda Ellerbee do it. Was she ever on Celebrity Jeopardy?
She was not.

Next scheduled guest host will be Bill Whitaker, May 3-14.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... t-schedule
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:26 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:50 am I would like to see Linda Ellerbee do it. Was she ever on Celebrity Jeopardy?
She was not.

We know Mayim Bialik has already taped, too, so she's probably up after Bill? Haven't seen anything on Savannah Guthrie yet.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I figured Aaron Rodgers would be next. there isnt anyone who has been announced after Dr oz where im like theres no reason why this person should be a host aside from maybe rodgers but i really like him as a person so i dont really care.

If im doing my math right and assuming we go the amount to the end we always do, they need to announce 2 more guests hosts i think.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I appreciate the somberness of Dr. Oz's hosting. He showed enthusiasm when appropriate. Katie and Mike were too consistently upbeat for my taste. The material and the contestants should be allowed to shine, the host should not be the most prominent part of the show in my opinion.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

An interesting working list to keep during these weeks would be of players who appeared on the show under more than one host. By my count there are only 7 so far:

Nick Cascone
Laura Portwood-Stacer*
Sam Stapleton*
Zach Newkirk*
Jim Gilligan
Paul Roder (3/31/97 Trebek; 4/1/97 Sajak)
Christian Stallsmith (4/1/97 Sajak, 4/2/97 Trebek)

*won at least one episode under each host

Obviously, this list will expand significantly with the next TOC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There have been a number of players from the Fleming era on during Alex’s run.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:33 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:26 pm
She was not.

We know Mayim Bialik has already taped, too, so she's probably up after Bill? Haven't seen anything on Savannah Guthrie yet.
Interestingly, Craig is filling in for Savannah on the Today show this week. Hoda mentioned that Savannah had an assignment on the West Coast this week, so she may be taping now.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

Hi Everyone! My password hasn't worked for about a year. I couldn't reset it and I couldn't get in touch with the mods, so I've been able to read all of these comments but not post anything. My good fortune last week to bump into DHKendall elsewhere in social media. He got me all set, so I'm back! I've had a few thoughts on the whole guest host thing.

First off, so far, I'm pulling for Ken. He seems the most natural, the most like "my friend", and is so massively smart that he won't have to fake it, wherever the conversation goes, and yet, still seems humble and contestant focused.
  • Two weeks really isn't enough. The whole first week is just for the host to figure things out. The first few episodes are either rough, or the host is actually trying to be too polished. The second week is for us to compare them to everyone else, especially Alex and whoever the last person was. Then we, the audience, need two weeks or so to see what we think of the result. Look no further than Alex's first shows. They weren't nearly as smooth as his later episodes. That being said, I don't want this process to stretch out any longer than it has to.
  • My hunch is they already have someone in mind, but this allows them to see how different hosting styles affect the flow of the game. What if we have someone more serious? What if we have someone funnier? What if we have someone sportier" Etc. It's not like opportunities to empirically test styles on Jeopardy come up too often. I'm not guessing that Aaron Rodgers is going to stick, but I'm kind of excited to see what someone from a sports background brings to the mix. I'm also excited to see what Mayim, as a (somewhat) comedic actress with a prolific knowledge base, brings to the table.
  • On that last point, while I understand the merits of "news" people, my only concern is that the process is too heavily populated with them. I want a broader mix.
  • The thing I notice most, and never really realized Alex was so good at, is that the guest hosts don't know what to do when someone gets an answer wrong or no one knows an answer. That seems to be where I most notice their awkwardness and flaws in timing.
The other three that I would love to see are Levar Burton (I'm a child of the Reading Rainbow/Next Generation era), Mark Hamill (really appreciates the fans/contestants, and I would love to her the Joker tell someone they were wrong) and Teller (I know he's has built a public persona of not talking, but when he does, he's ridiculously smart and fiendishly funny). Probably all older than TPTB are looking for, but I figure it would make for some great TV.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Well it looks like I need to raise my expectations for Aaron Rodgers hosting next week. It looks like he brought it...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/311 ... guest-host
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 pm Well it looks like I need to raise my expectations for Aaron Rodgers hosting next week. It looks like he brought it...

Great article.
"I took pages and pages and pages of notes. I wrote down every affirmative that he said to any type of clue. I wrote down how he would respond if they didn't get it right. I wrote down beat points of the show. I wrote down all the different ways he would take it to break. I wrote down the stuff that he said coming out of break. Literally, I studied for this like no other. I wanted to absolutely just crush it."
He also mentions there will be a viral-worthy moment from Monday's show.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:17 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 pm Well it looks like I need to raise my expectations for Aaron Rodgers hosting next week. It looks like he brought it...

Great article.
"I took pages and pages and pages of notes. I wrote down every affirmative that he said to any type of clue. I wrote down how he would respond if they didn't get it right. I wrote down beat points of the show. I wrote down all the different ways he would take it to break. I wrote down the stuff that he said coming out of break. Literally, I studied for this like no other. I wanted to absolutely just crush it."
He also mentions there will be a viral-worthy moment from Monday's show.
The article also confirms that the host can see the FJ! responses. In a thread last year, there was discussion about this...
goongas

Post by goongas »

30 second teaser on Aaron Rodgers hosting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUOP4eVmug
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

goongas wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 pm The article also confirms that the host can see the FJ! responses. In a thread last year, there was discussion about this...
This was true at least as far back as Season 3. Alex mentioned it in a "new old" game I entered recently. https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6975
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And Mayim Bialik just makes it into May, with her first game being May 31.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

TOC from May 17-May 28th?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

brucejoel199 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 pm TOC from May 17-May 28th?
You know, I was in such a hurry to post my hilarious May/Mayim joke that I never even made that connection. Good looking out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 pm TOC from May 17-May 28th?
You know, I was in such a hurry to post my hilarious May/Mayim joke that I never even made that connection. Good looking out.
If the ToC is going in that open window then I would think it could be taping next week. Ken or Mike seem the most likely to host. Watch Ken's Twitter for action (or lack of action) Tuesday the 6th & Wednesday the 7th? Does Ryan Hemmel still post his scores in the daily Reddit thread? That could be a clue as well.

I would not mind a surprise host for the ToC either and I would think the show would spill the jelly beans after taping and before airing. Buzzy Cohen doing it would be like Judge Judy's decisions with 50% agreeing on it.

Bob Harris is still in Australia? I know he has detractors due some of his past contestant liveliness while I think he has a lot of skills that would transfer to a fun & capable guest host.

I wonder if Jeff Probst's contract allows outside work? We know that Bill Whitaker can take on a side gig.

If a new permanent host is to be in place for S38 and taping will resume in July then the clock is ticking for more news sooner than later.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The guest host page on the Jeopardy! website has Anderson Cooper from April 19 to April 30 and Bill Whitaker from May 3 to May 14. That's shown on the picture at the top of the page but the info farther down on the page lists their show air dates as TBD. https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... t-schedule

I'm not sure if I would read too much into the 2 week gap on dates since it looks like they're still in the process of updating their info. But I don't actually know anything.

They might wait for a permanent host before doing a ToC. It would be reasonable for them to wait for all the contestants to have a chance to get a vaccine before asking them to travel across country. Access should be available for everybody within a month or two and I have a hard time imagining they would try to do it before then. Almost there.

Ryan Hemmel and John Focht are posting their scores on Reddit everyday. They moved it to a separate thread.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.