Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by morbeedo »

Savannah says she has a day job so she’s not in the running for the hosting gig. Just saw her on Today (via Twitter) pushing products for Amazon Prime Day. Kind of blows the mind.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:27 am I am at least grateful to Richards for hosting on an emergency basis; I never got the sense he saw himself as a serious contender (clickbait articles aside).
I doubt he really wanted to be the EP and host. He is nice to have in the back pocket in case of emergency though. Who knows if the next host will be able to go on the type of streak Alex had going of never missing a show?
yclept

Post by yclept »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:08 am Savannah says she has a day job so she’s not in the running for the hosting gig. Just saw her on Today (via Twitter) pushing products for Amazon Prime Day. Kind of blows the mind.
I figured some of them weren’t really auditioning for a full-time gig, but it is disappointing that she doesn’t even want consideration. Oh well - she indeed does have a day job and likely makes a lot of money doing it. Work-life balance could be playing a role. She has young children, I believe.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

yclept wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:08 am Savannah says she has a day job so she’s not in the running for the hosting gig. Just saw her on Today (via Twitter) pushing products for Amazon Prime Day. Kind of blows the mind.
I figured some of them weren’t really auditioning for a full-time gig, but it is disappointing that she doesn’t even want consideration. Oh well - she indeed does have a day job and likely makes a lot of money doing it. Work-life balance could be playing a role. She has young children, I believe.
She does have two kids under six. Her husband owns a political consulting company based in DC and NYC. So that could keep them from moving to the west coast and she probably wouldn’t want to fly back and forth all the time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 am
She does have two kids under six. Her husband owns a political consulting company based in DC and NYC. So that could keep them from moving to the west coast and she probably wouldn’t want to fly back and forth all the time.
Working two days every two weeks would pretty much be a dream job for a mother with young kids. And while she probably wouldn't want to relocate to the LA area, keep in mind that Pat Sajak commutes from Annapolis, so it's not entirely impossible to stay based on the East Coast.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am
Working two days every two weeks would pretty much be a dream job for a mother with young kids. And while she probably wouldn't want to relocate to the LA area, keep in mind that Pat Sajak commutes from Annapolis, so it's not entirely impossible to stay based on the East Coast.
If you work in the news business, I imagine being the host of the Today Show is a dream job that you don't give up.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 am If you work in the news business, I imagine being the host of the Today Show is a dream job that you don't give up.
I guess you’re right. I might question my life choices if I had to hawk Prime Day specials like a QVC hostess, but I guess that’s only part of the gig. And hosting Jeopardy! might get boring for someone who’s not a big trivia head.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wasn’t Alex involved with the show beyond just hosting? I would also think doing Jeopardy involves more preparation than Wheel of Fortune. Having to be ready to rapidly read off 300 answers a day would require some work beforehand. Pat just gets handed a list of ten puzzles and he’s good to go. He could probably do it just as well not knowing the puzzles in advance.

The Jeopardy host needs to read over all of the answers and questions to be ready for anything tricky to read.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am keep in mind that Pat Sajak commutes from Annapolis, so it's not entirely impossible to stay based on the East Coast.
Interesting. I'd never heard that, but it's certainly doable with the taping schedule. I don't think he's flying coach, either.
Bamaman wrote:The Jeopardy host needs to read over all of the answers and questions to be ready for anything tricky to read.
Even assuming this would need to be done prior to the taping day, there's no reason it couldn't be done remotely.
davey

Post by davey »

I read recently that when Orson Welles was preparing and filming Citizen Kane on the west coast, he flew back to NY every week to do a Sunday night radio play. So a bicoastal career was considered possible even then. Of course he was doing no preparation for the radio gig (even though he was credited with writing and directing the plays), and he was a 24-year-old(!) man who wasn't expected to take care of his family, though he did have a daughter by then with his (divorcing) wife...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 am
Wasn’t Alex involved with the show beyond just hosting? I would also think doing Jeopardy involves more preparation than Wheel of Fortune. Having to be ready to rapidly read off 300 answers a day would require some work beforehand. Pat just gets handed a list of ten puzzles and he’s good to go. He could probably do it just as well not knowing the puzzles in advance.

The Jeopardy host needs to read over all of the answers and questions to be ready for anything tricky to read.
IIRC, he got in very early on taping days to review the questions for that day. I don't remember any indication that he came in on any days other than taping days.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 am If you work in the news business, I imagine being the host of the Today Show is a dream job that you don't give up.
*entertainment? Is Today really "news" or is it more "show that sometimes mentions current events"?
(Never seen it, familiar with the format, but it might be an outdated familiarity)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:29 pm
*entertainment? Is Today really "news" or is it more "show that sometimes mentions current events"?
(Never seen it, familiar with the format, but it might be an outdated familiarity)
It's a separate question. Has little to do with her status in the industry. I don't watch the morning shows at all myself.
I note that Meredith Vieira was on The View and hosted Millionaire, then was co-host on Today for 6 years while staying with Millionaire. I assume the game show was taped in NY the whole time, and probably produced fewer episodes than J!
Leander

Post by Leander »

The pinnacle of network news is probably being a primetime anchor, second is being the lead host of the morning show on each network although the morning shows probably generate much more profit for the networks. Hosting a syndicated game show is nowhere near to being in the same ballpark.

While taping a game show might fit into her normal schedule, you have to keep in mind the morning show hosts have to be available to be on set for major breaking news stories.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Leander wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:53 pm
The pinnacle of network news is probably being a primetime anchor, second is being the lead host of the morning show on each network although the morning shows probably generate much more profit for the networks. Hosting a syndicated game show is nowhere near to being in the same ballpark.

While taping a game show might fit into her normal schedule, you have to keep in mind the morning show hosts have to be available to be on set for major breaking news stories.
I seem to be in the minority here, but I do turn on the Today show every morning while I drink my coffee and do the NYT crossword. Savannah is probably one of the busiest people in the business. She starts hosting at 7 AM (which probably means getting on set at least by 5) and covers two hours of news. Most of the fluff pieces happen in the third and fourth hour of Today, which she doesn't participate in. She also occasionally steps in for Lester Holt on the Nightly News, does election night coverage, and is announcing the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics. She's frequently on location for breaking news as well, which doesn't jive with a regular taping schedule that's needed for a game show. As nice as the Jeopardy gig would be, I can't imagine her wanting to jeopardize her journalism career for it (or her $30M net worth).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:29 pm They should just do the simple thing and pick a host that will make everybody happy.
Unless they can bring Alex back from the dead, that isn’t happening.
It’s not as if Alex was universally popular either. I recall hearing people denounce him as arrogant, and then there was the emanciptation brouhaha.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 pm the emanciptation brouhaha.
With all due respect, how in God's name was that Alex's fault?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm
I would think not his fault, but you know the twitterverse...they seem to think he made all the decisions for the show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm
It wasn’t, but it didn’t stop the outraged hordes from heaping opprobrium upon him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is a segment on GMA this morning featuring George S. and his hosting stint. Nothing earth shattering, just some behind the scenes shots and staging. We see him studying the big sheet of clues and players saying how great he was.

Spoiler alert based on who is at the champion podium.