Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:55 pm
Well, fine... (language warning at link)
https://www.salon.com/2021/12/29/dr-oz- ... -reporter/
Dr. Mehmet Oz and his wife Lisa were overheard by a journalist describing her as a "******* girl reporter" after they failed to hang up successfully while trying to duck her phone calls.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dr. Oz should interview Morgan Wallen.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Dr. Mehmet Oz and his wife Lisa were overheard by a journalist describing her as a "******* girl reporter" after they failed to hang up successfully while trying to duck her phone calls.
Specifically, it was wife Lisa who used the language, and it was in response to the reporter showing up at Dr. Oz's office uninvited and apparently fabricating a scheduled interview appointment with Dr. Oz, then calling a cell phone number for Oz's wife that she found on the Internet. Neither Lisa nor the reporter come off looking good, but a headline that implies that Oz used vulgar or misogynistic language in describing the reporter is misleading, so the media comes off looking the worst, IMO.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:48 am Neither Lisa nor the reporter come off looking good, but a headline that implies that Oz used vulgar or misogynistic language in describing the reporter is misleading, so the media comes off looking the worst, IMO.
Media no longer exists to report or inform the public or practice journalism in an ethical manner. It's just what they do these days. They're propaganda outlets for whatever causes or politics their owners support. We still need a free press. Hopefully it will work itself out when the owners realize what they've done. But it will take a while. I'm not holding my breath.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw a Dr. Oz for the Senate commercial on ESPN during Penn State’s bowl game.

Levar Burton did the coin toss at the Rose Bowl.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

According to the Xfinity TV Remote app, Mayim Bialik will return to hosting Jeopardy! the week of January 31.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I have no information one way or the other, but I'm curious if they'll let Ken host when a player gets close to his 74-game record.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 pm I have no information one way or the other, but I'm curious if they'll let Ken host when a player gets close to his 74-game record.
Can't imagine why not...he doesn't seem the Joe West/Tim Donaghy type
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Games 74-75 would be March 14 and 15, assuming no more tournaments.
gameshowfandanny

Ken will be hosting the syndicated show during the weeks of February 14 and 21.
EDIT 2/5/22: I can now confirm that Ken will also be hosting the week of February 28 and presumably, the week of March 7.
EDIT 2/12/22: Ken will indeed host the week of March 7.
EDIT 2/19/22: Ken will be hosting the week of March 14 and presumably, the week of March 21.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Just finished two weeks of Mayim, and…I just don’t see improvement. Her timing is off on everything; nothing flows. She is awkward in chat time. Her responses to the contestants have minimal variation. She always seems a beat behind the contestants’ responses, not ready to rule on a question. She over-enunciates. When a contestant answers with last name only, she’s very inconsistent about adding the first name. She says “Robert Burns” :shock: instead of “Robbie Burns” :D

When will TPTB recognize they made a big mistake and give it to LeVar (I kid, I kid!) Ken permanently?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:36 pm ... When will TPTB recognize they made a big mistake and give it to LeVar (I kid, I kid!) Ken permanently?
I like 'em both... a LOT. Definitely a lot better than I liked Alex in his first couple years. Either one, or both is/are fine with me.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:59 pm
cthulhu wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:36 pm ... When will TPTB recognize they made a big mistake and give it to LeVar (I kid, I kid!) Ken permanently?
I like 'em both... a LOT. Definitely a lot better than I liked Alex in his first couple years. Either one, or both is/are fine with me.
Ken is clearly in a class by himself as a host, displaying his hosting skills with aplomb, grace, humility, and deep awareness of the flow and mechanics of the game. Mayim, meanwhile, exudes the values and ethos of the game with a palpable joy that makes up for an occasional sketchy commercial (remember, Alex had his "Three Ps" to live down). As was said above, if we compare Mayim today to Alex in his first year, the win goes to Mayim.

Especially if producers hope/plan to expand the franchise into prime time and who knows where else, the original plan to have two hosts was not a bad plan at all. Jeopardy! will be well-served if the eventual decision is to keep Ken as the daytime host and Mayim as the "new projects" host, with the understanding that each is the other's primary alternate if the regular host isn't available for a taping.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Xu Donym wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:23 am If we compare Mayim today to Alex in his first year, the win goes to Mayim.
By 1984 Alex had many years of professional broadcast quiz show hosting and trivia reading experience under his belt, whereas Mayim is coming in cold.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:36 pm Just finished two weeks of Mayim, and…I just don’t see improvement. Her timing is off on everything; nothing flows. She is awkward in chat time. Her responses to the contestants have minimal variation. She always seems a beat behind the contestants’ responses, not ready to rule on a question. She over-enunciates. When a contestant answers with last name only, she’s very inconsistent about adding the first name. She says “Robert Burns” :shock: instead of “Robbie Burns” :D

When will TPTB recognize they made a big mistake and give it to LeVar (I kid, I kid!) Ken permanently?
Agree totally. I was a Mayim fan at first, but as time goes by, her shortcomings are becoming more obvious. The awkward pauses before she rules correct or not really throw off the contestants. Sometimes you even see them start to glance at her to see what's going on.

And her replies just take everyone--contestants & viewers--out of the flow of the game. The players are rolling along, picking clues, responding, when she'll throw in a reply that is 100% not needed. "Denzel Washington in Philadelphia", "What is lawyer?" The player starts to move on, when Mayim pops in "A personal injury lawyer." The player gets taken out of the flow, as do we, all for a comment that adds NOTHING to the game.

Without some improvement to her hosting skills, I would not be able to watch J! with her as the host. It's that bad (IMHO).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

astrohip wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:51 am And her replies just take everyone--contestants & viewers--out of the flow of the game. The players are rolling along, picking clues, responding, when she'll throw in a reply that is 100% not needed. "Denzel Washington in Philadelphia", "What is lawyer?" The player starts to move on, when Mayim pops in "A personal injury lawyer." The player gets taken out of the flow, as do we, all for a comment that adds NOTHING to the game.

Without some improvement to her hosting skills, I would not be able to watch J! with her as the host. It's that bad (IMHO).
Some of those feel like they were edited in afterwards. "GadoT" comes to mind.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:27 am
astrohip wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:51 am And her replies just take everyone--contestants & viewers--out of the flow of the game. The players are rolling along, picking clues, responding, when she'll throw in a reply that is 100% not needed. "Denzel Washington in Philadelphia", "What is lawyer?" The player starts to move on, when Mayim pops in "A personal injury lawyer." The player gets taken out of the flow, as do we, all for a comment that adds NOTHING to the game.

Some of those feel like they were edited in afterwards. "GadoT" comes to mind.
I'd say giving that correct pronunciation is 100% necessary. Maybe it helps people to learn. (But I've also said that I'm fine with accepting the misperception.)
In the other instance, she could refrain from sharing, of course, but I'll bet she added that information because it was on her screen.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I am a fan of Mayim's enthusiasm, although her missteps don't go unnoticed. She's bursting with joy just to toss to commercial, and that energy will help draw in new and casual viewers. The hosting glitches will smooth out in time, especially if her schedule calms down.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/as-they-ma ... 234929934/
I wish they would bring Buzzy back into the mix.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

squarekara wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:37 pm I wish they would bring Buzzy back into the mix.
Yes!! (The only reason I didn’t mention it is I’ve given up :cry:)
gameshowfandanny

Mayim will be returning on March 28, according to my advanced listings.
EDIT 4/4/22: Ken will return next week (week of April 11).
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.