Wednesday, January 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TIL that it's not Dutch Guiana anymore. Oops.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeffwolfe wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:41 pm
bkellysky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm Shouldn't the answer to the Mary Tyler Moore clue be "Mary Richards", the character in the show, not the actor?
The gave character names, so yeah, it should be.
Agreed. If they wanted Peter, Paul and Mary Tyler Moore, the clue should have been FOLK TRIO BEHIND "PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON" WHO WORKED WITH ED ASNER & TED KNIGHT. I wonder if the correct response was on Ken's card but he was told to accept the other one as well.

I was also expecting them to take back some money from Lucy on her switch from sun storms to sunspots. Ken said he hadn't ruled against her, but he clearly made a Nnnn- sound before she changed her response.
The way the clue is worded, it could be interpreted as an actor or producer working with fictional characters to tell a story. Moore's production company produced the show, so she was functioning as both actor and producer. And those characters were an integral part of the story she was telling.
That's a good argument. I'll buy it. As long as we all agree that Peter, Paul and Mary Richards would also have been acceptable.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:27 pm -2/5 in Types of Movies. I said "weeper" at $200 and "3D" at $600.
"Weeper" is a tough miss because it fits the clue perfectly except for the part that demands you know which word Ebert used. "Wrestling weeper" even reads a little better to me than "wrestling tearjerker". (I like the eye-alliteration.) But tearjerker is the more common term and this is the $200 clue, so I suppose there's that.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

More hooves, please. And the 8 dollar podcast and FJ bet was a hoot also.
My closed caption is still spoiling every clue before KJ has finished reading it in some cases, and always before it is spoken. Anyone else? Or do most boardies eschew the CC? This might be an interesting poll question when we have a slow poll week.

I had to recall Suriname first and then made it to French Guyana. Lucky we didn't need the name as I confuse Guinea and Guiana. I always remember FG because it reminds me of Kool-Aid, and the events of last week have reminded me of the gullibility of our fellow Americans in a sad way.

Ken really blitzed through the end of SJ pre-commercial wrapup. Otherwise he is nailing it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm My closed caption is still spoiling every clue before KJ has finished reading it in some cases, and always before it is spoken. Anyone else? Or do most boardies eschew the CC? This might be an interesting poll question when we have a slow poll week.
Contact your local station -- on their website, they're supposed to have specific contact info for closed-captioning issues.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm Thank you to the dozens of annoying Sporcle quizzes I've done that insist that France is one of the countries of South America for getting this FJ.
Ha ha. Totally agree! Also that Denmark is actually a huge country (due to Greenland).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,800
48 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: provocation/convocation, delta (DD), canton, nitroglycerine, Jeremy, sixth sense of humor, shipwrecks

Lucy doesn't seem like a buzzsaw at first glance, but her scores tell a different tale. That said, I was surprised to see her miss a WECIB FJ!

I wasn't high on the prospect of KJ as the post-Trebek-era host, but he has knocked it out of the park thus far.

Wasn't it Depeche Mode who sang, "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that God's got a sixth sense of humor"?
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm My closed caption is still spoiling every clue before KJ has finished reading it in some cases, and always before it is spoken. Anyone else? Or do most boardies eschew the CC? This might be an interesting poll question when we have a slow poll week.
My CC is always on, and it has not been having this problem.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:43 am Wasn't it Depeche Mode who sang, "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that God's got a sixth sense of humor"?
Yes, Depeche Mode is correct.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another strong performance by Lucy, who clearly has a strong knowledge base. I think it was a mistake to wait to hunt for DD3 late after DD2. She left it out there for a tantalizing period but got away with it.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:43 am Wasn't it Depeche Mode who sang, "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that God's got a sixth sense of humor"?
Sick sense, Shirley?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm Thank you to the dozens of annoying Sporcle quizzes I've done that insist that France is one of the countries of South America for getting this FJ.
In my case I'm still reaping benefits from the course that I had in 8th grade ( :shock: ) in Western Hemisphere geography. The overwhelming majority of the school year was spent on S. America. So yeah, this FJ was a snap.

What a great, solid defense by the champ. She might be around for a while.
Leander

Post by Leander »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm
My closed caption is still spoiling every clue before KJ has finished reading it in some cases, and always before it is spoken. Anyone else? Or do most boardies eschew the CC? This might be an interesting poll question when we have a slow poll week.
Our CC almost always spoils the answer, but I can’t ever remember it running so far ahead that it reveals the answer while the question is being read. We often turn it off for the show.
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

37 R
4 W—French & Indian War for Civil, Pro/Confuse for Pro/Confound, 1930s for '40s, & Jimmy for Jack
DD: :D :D :D
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Delta, Canton, Nitroglycerin, Jeremy, Sixth Sense of Humor, Mandy Moore
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Was anyone else aided by Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis" for DD1?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am Sick sense, Shirley?
I see that my deadpan needs a bit more pan and a little less dead.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am Sick sense, Shirley?
I see that my deadpan needs a bit more pan and a little less dead.
I heard "Blasphemous Rumours" on the radio not long ago, and every time I hear it I imagine the words are "sixth sense of humor," which is a joke I've long had in my head with little occasion to say aloud. Having the phrase in a correct response on J! was pretty satisfying.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Well, at least Lucy had a big lead before FJ!

8/10 (B)
It's the end of the journey that counts.