Ken Jennings as a Host Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How do you feel about Ken Jennings hosting Jeopardy so far?

I think he's doing great, I'm already convinced he should become the host permanently.
18%
I think he's doing well, and won't mind if he becomes the host permanently.
51%
I think he's doing OK, but still want to see what the other guest hosts are like.
25%
I'm not impressed so far, but I'll keep an open mind and see how it goes.
2%
Sorry, but I hope they find someone else.
4%

Total votes: 117

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Ken Jennings as a Host Poll

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:07 pm
Sherm wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:52 pm I posted in another thread that he is doing better than I thought he would and I would not mind if he got the full time job.

Having said that, on here, I voted that he's ok but I'd like to see what some others do.

Right now, all we have to compare him to is Trebek. He's not that good, maybe no one else will be, or maybe one or two of the people they come up with will be right there.

One item that could be neat will be a pole of the best guest host once we've had 5 or 6. Views of Jennings could change one way or the other once we got others to compare him to.
I’m certainly not ready to say yes or no to him since I haven’t seen anyone else at the big desk. I also don’t know how serious I should watch any of the others since we don’t know if any of them are serious candidates or just attention getting devices. I don’t think an active NFL QB, two newscasters in their 60s, and an actress with a new show are getting the job but we’ll see.

An end of the season poll listing all the hosts is certainly in order.
Anyone who gets fewer than two weeks to host is, IMO, not a serious candidate for the final slot. The producers are going to want to see extended ratings data, and also get a feel for how probable candidates handle the production schedule and adjust to the role.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alamble wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 pmThe producers are going to want to see extended ratings data, and also get a feel for how probable candidates handle the production schedule and adjust to the role.
That would have been my expectation as well, but it seems the producers are not treating the guest hosting as auditions.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 pm
alamble wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 pmThe producers are going to want to see extended ratings data, and also get a feel for how probable candidates handle the production schedule and adjust to the role.
That would have been my expectation as well, but it seems the producers are not treating the guest hosting as auditions.
Without seeing the longer term timetable for guest hosts, it’s hard to tell. They may be mixing in a couple of short term hosts for buzz (Rodgers, maybe Couric), and may have extended tryouts for serious candidates. Or maybe they’ve picked someone already.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Whether we like it or not, whether we agree or not, whether we think he's found his sea legs as host or not, he has already stirred up just enough negative publicity that I doubt that the producers will want to sully the show with any of that, so they'll probably keep him around for low-key support but not the host spot.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 094179001/
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

In the abstract I’d like to see more possible new hosts, but the ones they currently have lined up after Ken all look like a huge downgrade to me. I’m thinking it will either be Ken or someone who doesn’t do a guest host gig this season.

I’m reasonably happy with how Ken is doing, but think he could benefit from some voice training; would prefer a bit more mellifluidity (if I can coin a word ;)). And hopefully he’s getting good coaching before and review after each game. Ask me again in five weeks, but so far I’m pleasantly surprised.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Box 2 for me. I don't have to worry about seeing other hosts because I know it's happening. After many years of watching TV I've seen plenty of host changes and I know I can adapt to new faces and voices. The J! powers will keep the show going and that is what matters.

Look ahead to a year from now and a permanent host should/better be in place and everything can calm down a bit. It's nice to imagine a studio audience and tournaments as well. Patience.

With Alex no longer hosting could a new tournament format be tried? Alex always seemed very proud to announce the five winners/four wildcards explanation. Perhaps a move could be made to avoid sequestration while still allowing some of the non-winners a chance to play again?

Or how about making all those in the pool really mad? Do a ToC with 27 players.

A week of 9 ToC players: 3 winners then play a 2-day match. Do that two more times to get three finalists and have them need to win three matches.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 am I voted for "Sorry, but I hope they find someone else." No offense to Ken, but the reason I don't want him as permanent host is because then, anyone who Ken played against would be ineligible to be invited to future Jeopardy! tournaments because of the 1950s quiz show scandals, and I don't want there to be a special tournament without James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, Roger Craig, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, Ben Ingram, Julia Collins, and other great contestants that Ken played against, though I do think he is doing a great job as interim host.
...okay? Where’s the evidence? :geek:

I voted for Box 2
It's the end of the journey that counts.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 am No offense to Ken, but the reason I don't want him as permanent host is because then, anyone who Ken played against would be ineligible to be invited to future Jeopardy! tournaments because of the 1950s quiz show scandals...
I think this is overstating the situation. Here's the actual Federal law about quiz show rigging (it's short). I don't see "these contestants played against Ken in the past" automatically translating into "these contestants will have 'special and secret assistance' in the future" -- and I strongly suspect that if (for example) Ken-hosted "Jeopardy!" wants to do a 40th-anniversary tournament in 2024, the producers and the Sony lawyers will interpret things such that they can bring back as many of their chosen past contestants as possible.

(It would be a different story if Ken had become close friends with any of the contestants he's played against -- but again, that's something for the producers and the lawyers to worry about.)

(While we're at it, I also wouldn't worry about potential contestants that have relationships along the lines of "I chatted with Ken for a few minutes at a book signing" or "I played against Ken's team at a trivia event.)
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm another with mixed feelings. My main criticism of Ken is that it seems like he's trying too hard to be Alex. Or maybe he's just imitating the only example he knows. I think he's doing a fine job with running the game - at least in what makes it to air. Clues are spoken clearly and at a suitable pace. Right and wrong responses are (after editing) fine. Interview segments are so-so, but the game is a bit more important in my view.

I think the permanent host needs to make the job his/her own. They need to put their own personality on the show without detracting from the game play. Ken isn't really doing that.

As to the poll, I seem to be with the consensus - OK and would be OK as a permanent host - even though that doesn't quite fit for me.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm still hoping to see Levar Burton, but Ken has exceeded expectations so far.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:43 am I'm still hoping to see Levar Burton, but Ken has exceeded expectations so far.
For all of you waiting/wishing/hoping to see Le(uppercase V)ar Burton host J! you can tide yourselves over with his hosting "Who's The Captain Now?" on Jimmy Kimmel Live:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm I think he stinks. He annoys me no end.
Why does he annoy you?

Smarmy, odd voice and he’s dull as a host. Maybe I miss Alec too much...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Johnblue wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:12 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm I think he stinks. He annoys me no end.
Why does he annoy you?

Smarmy, odd voice and he’s dull as a host. Maybe I miss Alec too much...
We all miss Alec Guinness, but it's time to move on...
yclept

Post by yclept »

Chose Option 1, though perhaps it is too soon to choose such an option. I will be open minded to all the guest hosts though I don’t think the ones who are following Ken are really auditioning for the gig.

Thing is, the next host may not even get a special week of games. They can choose someone during the summer break and train the person for next season’s debut episode. Doing five games is hardly a major audition, so Sony may not even care much about these hosts as they are thinking of their decision.

They probably want a safe choice that can do the game for at least a decade. That describes a lot of possibilities.

As for future big tournaments, who knows how Ken’s hosting will impact those? Ken is done with competing on the show. Brad hasn’t said it but may just be done. They can certainly build tournaments around James and players like Julia, Buzzy, Alex Jacob, Austin, Roger, Larissa, etc...but I doubt that is really playing much of a role in whether or not Ken gets the job.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

rockyboy34 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 am
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 am I voted for "Sorry, but I hope they find someone else." No offense to Ken, but the reason I don't want him as permanent host is because then, anyone who Ken played against would be ineligible to be invited to future Jeopardy! tournaments because of the 1950s quiz show scandals, and I don't want there to be a special tournament without James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, Roger Craig, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, Ben Ingram, Julia Collins, and other great contestants that Ken played against, though I do think he is doing a great job as interim host.
...okay? Where’s the evidence? :geek:

I voted for Box 2
When it was announced that Ken would guest host, OntarioQuizzer mentioned on Reddit that someone who had played against Julia Collins was in the contestant department for the time and that the contestant had to be isolated from the 2014 ToC because Julia was a contestant in it:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Just thinking out loud, but if they wanted to run a "Battle of the Decades Part Deux" or something like that, couldn't they do a similar isolation tactic and get a temporary new host for 2 weeks? Make it even more of a spectacle for sweeps? Unless they're worried that, say, Ken will influence Mike Richards (or some other regular J! staffer), who in turn would influence the replacement host and/or the clue writers.

Now, it would still preclude Ken being PART of such a spectacle. But considering that he's now on three game shows that are churning out new episodes - two of them daily, even - I think removing Ken from the running wouldn't be a bad decision. Plus, it would make it more competitive.

As far as my response, I do agree with the hybrid "1, 2, 3" response. I voted for 1, but it's a little too locked in for my taste. I do want to see what the other hosts are like. But if there's anyone besides Alex whose name is associated with J! (particularly among non-zealots and non-boardies), it's Ken. Or maybe Watson.

Watson hosting. THAT would be an episode.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:22 am When it was announced that Ken would guest host, OntarioQuizzer mentioned on Reddit that someone who had played against Julia Collins was in the contestant department for the time and that the contestant had to be isolated from the 2014 ToC because Julia was a contestant in it:
That's correct:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9043
I think Ken's doing a very good job. My concern initially was that he would be too slow (!), since the video clues he'd presented earlier in the season slowed down the games. I'd forgotten he'd been a quiz bowl moderator, and they have to be relatively fast.
Hoping for a third lap
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Just moved into a new place this week and still don't have cable set up (agh, thanks Mediacom) so haven't been able to catch many episodes, but from the three I saw last week, Ken seems to be doing a fine job and he's been my preferred pick since last year -- but agree with most others, still want to see other hosts, so voted for option 2. The one I'm most intrigued by is Bill Whitaker. Another person I'd like to see guest host is David Muir, although I don't know if he wants the job or not.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For the special tournaments they could have a guest host who never competed on the show.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I think Ken is doing an excellent job and I've already noticed improvement from week 1 to week 2. Yes, I'm open to seeing some other guest hosts and perhaps one of them will convince me that they should get the permanent hosting gig but if TPTB made the decision that Ken Jennings was it, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. At least with Ken, we know he is truly passionate about Jeopardy and that the game, and the show, is important to him.

JMHO, but those criticizing him for not having a classic radio voice are being too critical. But, I respect those people's right to feel that way. It's just not important to me as a regular Jeopardy viewer.

And if this seems harsh, I'm about to reach an age (on Monday) where it really doesn't matter anymore and that the younguns should respect their elders! :lol: