Fun with GSN's "People Puzzler"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Fun with GSN's "People Puzzler"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leah Remini is the host of this show that debuted tonight.

The summary from bobbymgsk is here to check on the degree of difficulty of the material: https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2021/01 ... e-puzzler/

One episode in and the wagering police have their sirens on.

The second round has a wager word and the contestant can bet any or all of their points.

A: 930
B: 930
C: 360

C bet and added 150. At the end of the round the low scorer is eliminated.

A: 990
B: 930
C: 890 :lol:

In round 3 the two remaining players each have 60 seconds to play one puzzle to rack up as many points as possible and get a bonus if they can complete it.

The winner goes to the bonus round to try to win $10K by solving 3 puzzles with three words each.

I can only imagine how many crossword people, Wheel people and J! people would shake their heads at how easy the game is while watching the contestants struggle at times.

The thread is here not because the show is great, but as a good place to post a notice if a J! person is recognized.
MarkBarrett

Re: Fun with GSN's "People Puzzler"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Doing a little more research about the show I found a preview episode on YT:
Spoiler
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I will admit, Broadband was completely new to me. Yet again, I do not often talk on the phone. My only miss in this episode.

No surprise Ed didn't know Branson, Stetson, Lyle Lovett, or Lil Nas X.

Will this show continue the GSN trend of having exactly one $10k winner per week? Probably.
Douglas Squasoni
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Just watched the above YouTube...

Um.. That hostess annoyed me, especially when she'd cut in with a joke (or attempt at one) while a contestant was trying to work on a clue.

That was quite the victory dance... I guess. :)

I did like the interview gimmick of the players coming up with a 10-letter word to describe themselves. "Basketball" would be my word, too.

If I got on, and they told me I couldn't repeat for my 10-letter word, it would be "Campolindo".

Wait for it..

Oh, yeah. that's my favorite high-school hoops team. Campolindo, of Moraga, CA. (State champs, 2019!) :)
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 am I will admit, Broadband was completely new to me. Yet again, I do not often talk on the phone.
Internet access, not talking on the phone. You're probably not old enough to remember the dial-up to broadband transition, I guess.
--
Drowning in the pool
LucarioSnooperVixey

Its-Bitsy Spider and Little Boy Blue considered Lullaby's?

I feel like that category should have been called Nursery Rhymes.
Douglas Squasoni
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

The rules to this game are terrible. A few observations:

- Player 1 has a significant advantage in round one with the right to choose the category and the ability to select the three longest words on the board.

- With 10 clues per round, player one can get an added bonus of an extra turn to clean up the last word on the board if all players correctly answer their 3-clue maximum.

- The third player has the biggest disadvantage in round one, as the first two players can choose all of the longer words and score more points.

- If player one has the lowest score after the first round, they again get to choose the category and go first in round two, meaning player 3 could end up in the worst position twice. This should not be allowed to happen.

- The time limit is another ridiculously unfair disadvantage for the last player in round 2. Any game where you are forced to take turns should give an equal number of turns for each player. It would be like a baseball game where the visiting team scores 3 runs in the top of the ninth inning to take a 5-4 lead, and then the game gets rained out, the home team does not get to bat their half of the ninth, and the umpires just declare the visiting team the winner. Completely unfair. (thankfully, MLB rules are not like this!)

- In the head-to-head round, the two boards had a different number of total letters (61 vs. 60) Although minor, this could affect the outcome of the game, and a player leading after the first rounds could play perfectly and still lose. Would seem more fair to make the possible points available match for both boards.
---

As happened tonight, player 3 was eliminated despite only missing one clue, where player 1 missed 3 and still advanced. Player 1 selected both categories, went first both rounds, wasted a lot of time, and received extra turns over player 3 each round, allowing her to advance despite clearly being the inferior player.

I would make this a buzzer-based game, where each player has the possibility to answer each clue. This would eliminate a lot of the disadvantages mentioned above. The last place player could still choose the category for round 2.

As is, it seems like the most strategic play is to position yourself in last place going into round two, trying to stay as close to the other players as possible, and then answer the three longest clues to start round 2. This should guarantee advancement into the head-to-head round. Tonight, there were 27 letters in the 3 longest clues in round 2 (including the double word clue). Player 3 could have been left with just 13 letters possible. This 280-point differential would easily offset the deficit from round 1. Then you could just try to joke around and stall the game as much as possible to further assure your advantage hoping for the time limit.

Sorry for the long post...anybody that puts this much thought into a game like this most assuredly would never be selected as a contestant! :D :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I thought Leah was going to have gray hairs sprout up as Brinn had Cabo for Desi Arnaz's birthplace and a "Who's that?" for Ricky Martin. :lol:

The choice for the 3rd round was interesting as I thought Barry could have forced Brinn to play '70s Sitcoms as earlier play indicated she would have been over her head. Instead he took it (It would have been extremely tough for me to pass it up) and did enough to win.

The toughest one for me of the night was the G movie theater snack as I've forgotten what it's like to stand at the snack bar and make my candy choices. I've never bought popcorn in my life at the movies and I certainly never would go near Raisinettes or their cousin. With no extra letter help I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to recall those nasty "treats".

For the bonus round I needed a few seconds to dig up Alton's name. I would have picked Trees & Lullabies and then been torn whether to leave the Windy City or World Class Chefs out.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Austin should have thrown a coin into the Trevi Fountain and wish for $10k.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After 8000+ episodes of J! I've seen a fair share of games when things did not go well for the contestants.

For this GSN show it was stunning how much the players were in over their heads in the 2/1 episode.

It should not be that hard for a limited run show to round up three capable players each night. Did the producers stand at the corner and grab three people off the street? So many misses and stumpers. I wish there was a post game clip of Leah free to say what was on her mind as it would be a classic.

Not that my performance was up to snuff as I got stumped three times with:

A blank on the Twilight baddie even though I've read/seen everything (knew it was not Jacob and also failed to recall Jasper as it did not fit anyway)
The Barney song had mercifully left my memory
NHOI for that Arby's sauce

The saving grace is I have zero doubt I win the game no matter which of any two of the people I would have played and for the bonus round I would have condiments on the side.

Tomorrow has to be better.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Grateful Dead's Jerry

G _ _ _ _ A

Contestant: Grandpa? :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 pm The saving grace is I have zero doubt I win the game no matter which of any two of the people I would have played and for the bonus round I would have condiments on the side.
Too bad you weren't there because unsurprisingly, the contestant left out FAMOUS AUTHORS. :evil:
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 pm The Grateful Dead's Jerry

G _ _ _ _ A

Contestant: Grandpa? :lol:
Oy.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Evidently in California, the Chrysler Building is known as the Camry Building.

NHO Beeper and Pogs. God I hate questions that I am disadvantaged by my age. :x
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Both Brady Bunch and Survivor were unpicked for puzzle themes? :twisted: with steam coming out of my ears. I was so happy when the clock ran out at the end. If she's been on J! I hope she lost. If she gets on J! I hope she loses. Make Up Counter for round 2 then Marine Mammals and Veggies in the bonus round? The only good one for the bonus round was Halloween.

I got busted twice in not knowing the Amazon show lady's first name and knew leotards & lingerie were not right for the Clinique workers.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:57 pm Both Brady Bunch and Survivor were unpicked for puzzle themes? :twisted:
Disney Favorites unpicked on Wednesday and Alice in Wonderland unpicked Thursday. None of these contestants enjoy the classics. :evil:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Evidently, Leah Remini hasn't heard of the British soap opera "Hollyoaks".
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Even though I am younger than most contestants, I feel old watching them miss simple classic pop culture questions.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Dolly Summer and Mammifier Simpson be like, "This person is the Box contestant in this game." ;)
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 am I will admit, Broadband was completely new to me.
Guess what showed up on today’s Word Lanes daily challenge?
CF9B8DCC-DE9D-41F7-9645-36DC5E1130A5.jpeg
CF9B8DCC-DE9D-41F7-9645-36DC5E1130A5.jpeg (167.26 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
Douglas Squasoni