Friday, March 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6340, 2012-03-23

CONTESTANTS
Eileen O'Toole, a student of economics from Boulder, Colorado
Dennis Wright, a welder from Council Grove, Kansas
Cathy Guiles, a copy editor originally from Baltimore, Maryland (whose 2-day cash winnings total $14,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I'm happy to be with you to wrap up another great week of Jeopardy! shows. Dennis and Eileen, welcome aboard. Nice to have you here. Cathy, good to see you again. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? One Daily Double will appear in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NATIONAL PARKS (5/5)
IT DIDN'T SELL AT McDONALD'S (5/5)
THE IMMORTALS (3/5)
HYPHENATED TERMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOVERNORS SPEAK (5/5)
WORD & PHRASE DECADES (3/5) (Alex: You have to identify the decade in which the terms were first used in writing.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dennis: 15 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Cathy: 7 R, 3 W
Eileen: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dennis: $3,600
Cathy: $2,800
Eileen: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eileen O'Toole from Boulder, Colorado.

Eileen: Yep.

Alex: Quick answer--Tim Tebow, fan or not?

Eileen:
Well, he plays for the broncos, so fan.

Alex: Okay. Good. Now you've been on the waiting list for Denver Broncos tickets for how long now?

Eileen: Uh, since I turned 18. I put my name down, just hoping that I'd run into some money by the time, uh, my name came up. [Laughs]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Dennis Wright is a welder from council grove, Kansas.

Dennis: That's right.

Alex: Can we talk about wire welding?

Dennis: Wire welding, stick welding...

Dennis: Whatever you need.

Alex: I'm lousy at welding. Ugh. I have never mastered the technique. Is it easier with a wire welder to make your weld pushing or pulling?

Dennis: Just pretend like you're stacking dimes--zip, zip, zip, zip, zip--and you'll get it right every time.

Alex: Every time?

Dennis: Yeah.

Alex: Okay. What if I can't see through that mask?

Dennis: You gotta take it off and squint.

[Dennis laughs]

Alex: Thank you very much. [Laughing] All right.

Alex: Cathy Guiles is our champion. Copy editor. You're working at a newspaper.

Cathy: Right. yes.

Alex: And you come by that job honestly, because founded your own paper at the age of...

Cathy: Eight, in third grade. [Laughing]

Alex: Wow. What kind of a paper was it?

Cathy: Well--

Alex: Gossip columns and--

Cathy: No, it was a paper for my third grade class. My teacher had, you know, total editorial control, so--but my name was on the front page--"Cathy Guiles, Editor". It's nice.

Alex: Good for you. That's great. You obviously enjoy doing it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dennis found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Cathy had $4,000, Dennis had $6,800, and Eileen was at $200. Dennis wagered $3,200.

HYPHENATED TERMS $1000: Willard Libby developed a method of this, used to determine the age of fossils & the like

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE IMMORTALS $400: If he really was the historic figure he's linked with, this character introduced in an 1897 novel would be 581
(Eileen: Who is Ulysses?)
(Cathy: Who is Rip Van Winkle?)
(Alex: [Hungarian accent] Who is [*]? I am [*].)

THE IMMORTALS $600: In this film, Indiana Jones meets a knight who's guarding a chalice that grants eternal life
(Alex: That was [*].)

WORD & PHRASE DECADES $800: Air Force
(Dennis: What are the '40s?)
(Eileen: What are the '30s?)
(Cathy: What are the '20s?)
(Alex: You had to go back further to [*].)

WORD & PHRASE DECADES $1000: Weirdo
(Alex: He's a weirdo and that goes back to [*]. Oh, none of us remember that. Maybe one of us does.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dennis: $10,400
Cathy: $2,600
Eileen: -$600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S TALK ABOUT "SEX" (5/5) (Alex: My bad going into that commercial break. I should have said, "none of us remembers". Grammatical error. My bad. I should know better. All right, here are the categories for the Double Jeopardy! Round ...)
WHO WROTE THE NO. 1 HIT? (4/5)
AUTHORS WITH MASS. APPEAL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Notice "M-A-S-S" period)
ABDICATIONS (3/5)
IN UNION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THERE IS STRENGTH (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cathy: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Dennis: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 3 W
Eileen: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dennis snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Cathy had $2,600, Dennis had $10,800, and Eileen had a deficit with -$600. Dennis wagered $3,200.

IN UNION $800: Formed by 7 janitor organizations, the SEIU is this type of "Employees International Union"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Cathy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Cathy had $6,200, Dennis had $20,800, and Eileen was at $3,000. Cathy wagered $4,000.

AUTHORS WITH MASS. APPEAL $1600: Before the rags-to-riches stories (& more than 100 books), his story began on Jan. 13, 1832 in Revere

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THERE IS STRENGTH $400: The crushing strength of concrete is about 3 of these weight units per square inch; for granite, more than 10
(Dennis: What are pounds?)

THERE IS STRENGTH $1200: Special denim shirts have been developed for those trying to break the weightlifting mark in this supine style

WHO WROTE THE NO. 1 HIT? $800: Elvis Presley's "Jailhouse Rock": Mike Stoller & this late partner
(Cathy: Who is Jerry Steiber?)

ABDICATIONS $1600: In 1654 she stunned Europe by abdicating the Swedish throne because of her secret Conversion to Catholicism

ABDICATIONS $2000: Louis-Philippe, known as roi citoyen or this "king", abdicated in 1848, becoming the last King of France
(Dennis: Who is the Orange King?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dennis: $25,200 (lock-tie game)
Cathy: $12,600
Eileen: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TOYS & GAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock-tie for first place; lock for second place.
Dennis: Wager $0 to guarantee your return for the next game, or, if you'd rather lose today than face Cathy tomorrow, wager $25,200 to maximize your winnings (or $19,199 to keep from dropping into third place).
Cathy: Go for the (tie) win! Wager $12,600.
Eileen: Hold steady with a $0 wager, come up with a good joke to write on your podium, and laugh when you bag second place, should Cathy fail to come up with the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1953 the maker of this board game was flooded with letters with ideas for timing devices, turntables & bags to hold game pieces

FINAL SCORES
Eileen: $3,000 + $3,000 = $6,000 (What is Scrabble?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Cathy: $12,600 - $6,000 = $6,600 (What is Monopoly?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dennis: $25,200 + $0 = $25,200 (What is Scrabble?) (New champion: $25,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dennis: $20,600, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Cathy: $10,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Eileen: $3,000, 7 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Dennis: 27/60 = .450
Cathy: 18/59 = .305
Eileen: 8/58 = .138
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT DIDN'T SELL AT McDONALD'S $600: This large portion led to a PR problem in the wake of a Morgan Spurlock documentary & was discontinued by the end of 2004
(Alex: [*] me, yes.)

NATIONAL PARKS $400: Landscape Arch, one of the world's longest natural arches, is found at a national park in this state
(Alex: That's the state.)

NATIONAL PARKS $1000: Accessible only by boat or seaplane, Isle Royale National Park is located in this Great Lake
(Eileen: What is Lake Michigan?)
(Alex: [*] is it.)

THE IMMORTALS $800: In "L.O.T.R.", this half-elf character renounces her eternal life to marry the mortal Aragorn & later dies aged 2,901
[Alex reads "L.O.T.R." as Lord of the Rings.]

HYPHENATED TERMS $200: Broadband has largely replaced this type of internet connection using a phone line
(Dennis: What is DSL?)

HYPHENATED TERMS $600: This flower is often used in boquets, as seen here, with roses
(Alex: Yes, that's right, that's the hyphenated term.)

WORD & PHRASE DECADES $400: Hooverville
(Dennis: [*].)
(Alex: "What are...")
(Dennis: What are [*]?)
(Alex: That's it, remember your phrasing.)

WORD & PHRASE DECADES $600: Bummer, as in "Bummer, man"
(Cathy: What are the '80s?)
(Alex: Yeah, you and I remember them, maybe.)

IN UNION $2000: These skilled people are combined with aerospace workers in a union that's big at Boeing
(Cathy: What are mechanics?)
(Dennis: Uh... sombody's gotta do it. LET'S TALK ABOUT "SEX", $400.)
[Laughter]

LET'S TALK ABOUT "SEX" $400: Half a dozen born at the same time
(Dennis: What are septuplets?)

LET'S TALK ABOUT "SEX" $800: Someone over the age of 59 but not yet 70
(Eileen: What is a sextagenarian?)

THERE IS STRENGTH $2000: (Sara and Jimmy demonstrate with wet paper towel and a stack of coins)

When wet, paper products have varied amounts of this type of strength, the maximum load a material can support without fracture

CORRECT RESPONSES
carbon-dating
Dracula
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
the 1910s
the '50s
a service employee
Horatio Alger
tons
bench press
Jerry Leiber
Queen Christina
Citizen King
Scrabble
super size
Utah
Superior
Arwen
dial-up
baby's-breath
the '30s
the '60s
machinists
sextuplets
a sexagenarian
tensile strength

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Friday, March 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, I don't think I'll ever see a Final as much in my wheelhouse as today's was.

I'm absolutely, positively, shocked at the wagering though.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Struggled with FJ. I don't play enough board games. 16 correct today. I swept the Governor's category.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:I'm absolutely, positively, shocked at the wagering though.
I think someone needs to start running a quarterly "What was the worst FJ! wager in the past 3 months?" poll. This one does at least have the redeeming quality that it ended up saving $1000...

The "Sex" category was rather repetitive. Couldn't 'sextet' also have been used in box 1 in place of 'sextuplets'?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm

What's wrong with repetition in sex? I'd say no on the sextet, as they were going for six babies born at once.

I did not realize until reading the thread it was a lock tie. I was fixated on rewinding the tape to see if her flub on the Presley song cost her a shot at winning, I thought she was locked out.

Went with Monopoly on FJ just to have something, was trying to think of a music related game with the mention of turntables.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Bamaman wrote:What's wrong with repetition in sex? I'd say no on the sextet, as they were going for six babies born at once.
Hah. I'll grant that sextuplets is a more specific term, but certainly a group of 6 siblings forms a group of six and is thus a sextet (which doesn't have to have a musical connotation).

OntarioQuizzer

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:44 pm

goforthetie wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:I'm absolutely, positively, shocked at the wagering though.
I think someone needs to start running a quarterly "What was the worst FJ! wager in the past 3 months?" poll. This one does at least have the redeeming quality that it ended up saving $1000...
I can't say I'd condone this; I'm not a fan of the "point and laugh" strategy, as much as I might really dislike a specific wager.
Andy Saunders
Host, Complete The List

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Toys & Games
In 1953 the maker of this board game was flooded with letters with ideas for timing devices, turntables, & bags to hold game pieces.
Spoiler
Show
What is Scrabble? Cathy said Monopoly.
Dennis Wright: $25,200+$0=$25,200...now a 1-day champion with $25,200
Cathy Guiles: $12,600-$6,000=$6,600
Eileen O'Toole: $3,000+$3,000=$6,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:05 pm

It's been a long time since I posted to the board, but seeing a lock-tie scenario blown at the wager...well, it's unusual.

I just wondered whether the new champ intentionally set it up. The mistranslation of citoyen as having something to do with citrus was just odd enough to have me wondering if it was an offered lock-tie. He did know how to bet it.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I guess Cathy was tired of playing Jeopardy... :?

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Sorry Cathy, but that was a terrible wager. Maybe you just didn't realize it was a lock tie at the time? I'd hate to think you did, and still didn't bet enough anyway...

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, a TS?! :shock:

I got FJ right, based off the 'bag to hold game pieces' bit. I have no idea WTF they're talking about with the turntable.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 pm

I thought Dennis played a good game, but he should have refrained from ringing in on the last clue. Nice comeback by Cathy to produce the lock-tie situation, but a bad FJ wager from her. However, it was evident from her first game that wagering strategy is not one of her strengths. I thought Eileen looked very nervous the whole time, which may have negatively affected her performance. FJ required about 10 seconds of thinking. I fixated on turntable and that eventually led me to the correct response.

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:36 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:I got FJ right, based off the 'bag to hold game pieces' bit. I have no idea WTF they're talking about with the turntable.
It allows you to rotate the board so you don't have to read the letters sideways or upside-down.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:45 pm

DWS wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I got FJ right, based off the 'bag to hold game pieces' bit. I have no idea WTF they're talking about with the turntable.
It allows you to rotate the board so you don't have to read the letters sideways or upside-down.
Sounds...handy. I don't think I've ever seen Scrabble played with one. Every time I've played it, we just turned the board maually if we needed to. If I had fixated on 'turntable', I probably would've been lost.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 pm

I loved the category about failed menu items at McDonald's. I precalled the McLean Deluxe and Arch Deluxe, but I was expecting to see a clue about their chicken wings. I never knew that they did pizza, pasta, or an aloha burger, though.

When I saw the FJ category I figured that it would be a softball clue. It was refreshing to have an instant get after having a nightmare of a week for FJ clues.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. At least Dennis knew what to do. Scrabble wasn't an instaget; it took about 15 seconds to put it all together. Much more reasonable board tonight. Sorry to see the CU woman lose (I'm assuming she goes there, at least).

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Fixating on "turntable" was what got me to the right answer. I remembered that my aunt had a Scrabble board that rotated, and I think we once had one in my childhood as well. Bags made me think of, well, Scrabble tile bags, and timing device made me think of the time limits whenever mom plays Scrabble on the computer.

tl;dr: FINALLY after 14 in a row that I had no friggin' clue on, I get one right.

Word Decades sucked. Entirely "you know it or you don't". Kept vacillating between 70s and 80s on Punk, and it went downhill from there.

J! was weird for me. Got 5/6 on the $200s and $1000s, but the only other gets in between were running McDonald's and $400 in hyphen.

I have never seen "baby's breath" or "attorney at law" hyphenated before.

4/5 in #1 Hit, WAGging Dylan for Pete Seeger.

StevenH: I actually liked the Arch Deluxe even though I was 9 when it came out, and it was supposed to be an "adults only" burger.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:11 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, a TS?! :shock:

I got FJ right, based off the 'bag to hold game pieces' bit. I have no idea WTF they're talking about with the turntable.
Well, I came up with "Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail... waitoh@#$@#that'sMontyPythonwhatwastheIndymoviecalled...[time expired]"

The hyphenated words category was a head-scratcher (hey, that's hyphenated!) I never knew baby's breath and carbon dating were routinely hyphenated.

As far as FJ goes, I was 95% certain it was Scrabble. I remember my Dad had one of the early Selchow & Righter versions of the game, and it was from the early 1950s. Monopoly crossed my mind, but it'd been on the market since the 1930s, so why would those suggestions come into play in 1953, I reasoned, and stuck with Scrabble.

I remember the versions of the game with a turntable were billed as "Scrabble Deluxe" (for twice the price as the regular version). Like others here, I was basically cheap and moved the board manually. And I've seen the bag in some versions (most often travel versions), can't say if it's standard issue now.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OntarioQuizzer

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:15 pm

From Cathy's blog yesterday (http://catherineguiles.com/2012/03/22/j ... selection/)

"The “Jeopardy!” staff really drill it into your head not to bet to tie in FJ, the reasoning being that you wouldn’t want to play again against someone who’s already had the chance to get comfortable on the buzzer."

Cathy, I think you may have misunderstood their instruction. They want to avoid people choosing "tie" when the options are "tie" or "win outright".

If the option is "tie" or "lose", it's obviously in your best interest to "tie", is it not?
Andy Saunders
Host, Complete The List