Friday, March 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

My friendly local weatherman chose to interrupt the show twice tonight. The first time was right as the 3rd interview was beginning...Grrrrr. Why not do it at the start of the interviews like you did a couple of days ago, so I wouldn't miss any clues? I only missed 4, cutting back just in time to hear 'Who is Schwarzenegger", a clue I'm fairly confident I would have gotten. So guess when the second interruption was...Just minutes before the show would have returned from the final commercial break. He says "We'll get you back to Jeopardy in just a minute, but first I need to tell you the exact same thing that has been scrolling across the screen for the past 25 minutes. "Back in a minute!?", I scream. "The show will be over in a minute!"

So he rushes through whatever was so vitally important to tell us at that instant, and we cut back just as Alex has finished reading the FJ clue, so the clue has left the full-screen and is now taking up the bottom third of the screen while the camera floats around the studio. Guess what? The gigantic weather bulletin is also occupying the lower third of the screen, along with a map of the entire state of Indiana showing what counties are currently in a tornado warning. I can read everything except the words "bags to". So I see: "In 1953 the maker of this board game was flooded with letters with ideas for timing devices, turntables & ....... hold game pieces."

I was stumped. I couldn't even think straight I was so mad at the damn television for not letting me see whatever that vital word or words were that were obscured by the weather bulletin. In hindsight, I should have gotten it just based on timer and turntable, because my family had one of the deluxe versions of Scrabble with the turntable, but I was so caught up in trying to somehow see over, around, or through the weather bulletin that I couldn't even make myself figure out the answer. So at the end of the Think music I still can't see those words, so I pause the DVR, then rewind it, and realize that for just a split second the entire clue was visible on screen, so as soon as I saw the word "bags" I instantly knew it was Scrabble. I'm counting it as a get, as I desperately need to at least finish a week 3 for 5 after some woeful recent performances on FJ, but man, what a frustrating experience. Perhaps I take this stuff a little too seriously? :roll:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Jeff:

If it were me, I'd be calling the station to complain. And possibly the advertisers as well.

But I may be in the same minority as you.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

FJ made me realize that I have only ever played Scrabble-type games on Facebook. No need for turntables or bags there, so Scrabble didn't occur to me.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:Jeff:

If it were me, I'd be calling the station to complain. And possibly the advertisers as well.

But I may be in the same minority as you.
The thing is, he was so concerned about getting through it and getting us back to Jeopardy, that they must either regularly receive lots of complaints when they interrupt during the show, or else they know their audience well enough that they know better than to ever interrupt Jeopardy! for any longer than absolutely necessary. I was shocked the other night when they interrupted right at the start of the interviews, then got back just in time to see the first clue. It made me so happy to think that they actually appreciate the fact that they have loyal viewers that watch the show regularly and don't want to miss a single clue. then tonight, they very nearly made us miss FJ. I had a feeling that it would cut back just in time to show one of the contestant's monitors, spoiling me on the correct response without ever even seeing the clue. Luckily it wasn't quite that bad, as I was at least eventually able to see the whole clue and get to the correct response on my own.

On a different note, you know who wouldn't have missed that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade clue? This guy:

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Can someone tell me what Eileen said instead of sexagenarian that got negged? It sounded to me as if she was correct.
FJ--how did I miss this?
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

xxaaaxx wrote:Sounds...handy. I don't think I've ever seen Scrabble played with one. Every time I've played it, we just turned the board maually if we needed to. If I had fixated on 'turntable', I probably would've been lost.
I think there might have been a version somewhere along the way with a turntable. I did fixate on turntable, and it doomed me. The only turntable I could come up with is the spinner in the Game of Life.

No business touching that last clue.

If you're game for offering a tie, leave the clue and let 2nd place earn it by answering correctly. Then you have a lock-tie and $2000 more dollars.

And offering a tie to a 2-day champ is asking for trouble.

If you're gunning for an extra $2000 prior to FJ, resist the urge and go for the extra $1999-$3999 during FJ.

I suspect Dennis either thought he had to keep the clue away from Cathy, or got caught up in the heat of the moment and rang in without realizing the significance of the scores.

That aside, I love to see a contestant with a hardcore blue collar job do well. My father (42 yrs in the IAM) was the original Jeopardy! fan in the family and Frank Spangenberg was his hero. I had his IAM Retiree pin under my lapel for my games.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote:Can someone tell me what Eileen said instead of sexagenarian that got negged? It sounded to me as if she was correct.
She said "sexTagenarian", which I did as well.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

jeff6286 wrote:rage!
Don't worry, when my local station pulls the same crap, I end up screaming at the TV in anger. Especially when they spend a few minutes showing reporters driving around looking at the same kinds of uprooted trees and downed power lines we see after every storm, or when the weatherman feels the need to show us a radar screen with nothing on it.

And yes, absolutely count that as a get ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jeff — Seems your friendly weatherman borrows from Darrin Bradley at Weather Nerds Excited over Meteorology. Is his speech lucid, or does he ramble and say "uh" literally every other word?

Don't bother calling either. I've e-mailed and called WNEM several times and they never listen.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HugoZ wrote:I suspect Dennis either thought he had to keep the clue away from Cathy, or got caught up in the heat of the moment and rang in without realizing the significance of the scores.
I'm betting he wasn't aware of it, or at least not specifically to intentially tank a clue to offer a tie. Jeopardy is too fast a game to "count your money at the table" unless there's a natural break (e.g., Daily Double) in the course of play. And given where the scoreboard the contestants have to look at is, it's hard to even take a quick peek at it during normal play.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

HugoZ wrote:
No business touching that last clue.

If you're game for offering a tie, leave the clue and let 2nd place earn it by answering correctly. Then you have a lock-tie and $2000 more dollars.
Completely agree with the first part. However, his total prior to the last clue was $27200, she had $12600. If he leaves it for her and she answers it correctly, she'll end up with more than half his total and he is in some danger of losing outright.

If I were in that spot, I would have been out of luck though anyway, as I would have noticed my score was less than 1/2 of the leader and rushed to be first to buzz in with a wild (and incorrect in this case) guess and would have been mathematically eliminated before FJ.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

HugoZ wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:No business touching that last clue.

The arithhmetic of doubling doesn't work that way. If he is at 27,200 and she at 12,600 and she answers the $2000 correctly, he has less than a lock-tie. Therefore, he is completely correct to ring in if he has any idea at all, and missing doesn't hurt him significantly (compared to laying off) since she still has to answer correctly to remove his lock (or lock-tie). I do agree it is silly to suggest that he missed on purpose. It wasn't that bad a guess after all; "citoyen" is almost "citron", and yellow is almost orange.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Also, the Dutch royal family is the House of Orange, so it is a logical guess.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Our copy of Scrabble does have the turntable, but I remember it being some Special edition.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Lefty wrote:
HugoZ wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:No business touching that last clue.

The arithhmetic of doubling doesn't work that way. If he is at 27,200 and she at 12,600 and she answers the $2000 correctly, he has less than a lock-tie. Therefore, he is completely correct to ring in if he has any idea at all, and missing doesn't hurt him significantly (compared to laying off) since she still has to answer correctly to remove his lock (or lock-tie).
You are correct, sir. Overdosed on SQL today and didn't crunch the numbers.

Ringing in has two results: lock or lock-tie. Laying off: lock or no-lock.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:I think someone needs to start running a quarterly "What was the worst FJ! wager in the past 3 months?" poll. This one does at least have the redeeming quality that it ended up saving $1000...
Tonight's would win in a landslide.

Anything else I say would get me banned from the internet for life, so ....
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

StevenH wrote:I loved the category about failed menu items at McDonald's....I never knew that they did ... an aloha burger, though..
Their first attempt to help their Lenten sales, it preceded the Filet-o-Fish.

HugoZ: Maybe Dennis saw the lock-tie possibility on the last clue? He had a lock before ringing in, but would have lost it if Kathy got the clue right. With his miss, the lock tie is there for her as long as she doesn't ring in. Remember, the math doesn't work equally both ways. His miss dropped him to 25200 to 12,600; had he crossed his fingers sat on his buzzer and hoped, her possible hit would've made it 27200 to 14600. Bye bye lock tie. Not only should he have touched it, he would've been stupid not to have. If he wins the buzzer battle, he's guaranteed a win before FJ.

ETA: oops see this was all touched upon by the stuff that got posted as I was doing other things, sorry! Well I'm not erasing all that! :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
On a different note, you know who wouldn't have missed that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade clue? This guy:

He looks a little like the new champ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I remember seeing billboards for McDonald's pizza around Joplin, Missouri in 1995. Some of the McDonald's down there were also selling iced lemonade, something I don't recall seeing anywhere else.

One at a mall in Flint had a double cheeseburger variant called a Daily Double, something I haven't seen anywhere else. That also happens to be the only McDonald's in Flint I've ever eaten at (it's now closed), so I don't know if the others have/had it.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Despite the different meaning, the word "letters" in the Final clue was a subliminal cause for me to think Scrabble before another option (like Monopoly).