Monday, March 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, March 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Brandon wrote:I noticed that they accepted his answer that Dobrynin was the RUSSIAN ambassador to the U.S., not the SOVIET ambassador, which is what his title really was. Does Jeopardy! normally allow "Russian" and "Soviet" to be used interchangeably? Confusing the two in everyday speech has always been kind of a pet peeve of mine :P
They usually let that one slide, but you are absolutely correct.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alamble wrote:I wish we'd gotten to the last two clues in Movies Based on Shakespeare. Forbidden Planet and Throne of Blood seemed rather obscure (especially considering Forbidden Planet's relationship to the actual story of The Tempest is pretty tenuous if memory serves) I wonder what else was on the list.

Got Manhattan in about 10 seconds. Kinda surprised it was a TS, though I suppose if you've not visited New York, maybe it's easy to forget that Manhattan's a big ol' island?
I'd never heard of either of those movies, but the titles led me to the right plays pretty quickly.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I thought of Manhattan before Alex was even finished reading the clue. I wasn't 100% sure of it, but I was fairly certain that it would be correct, as everything seemed to make sense. Since all 3 contestants picked different islands in the same part of the world, this may be one of those FJ clues that either you think of NYC right away, or you are never going to get there. For the record, Hong Kong Island has a current population of just over 1 million, and its area is 31 square miles, so I guess that was a pretty decent guess, as opposed to Singapore, which could refer to either the nation, made up of 63 islands, or just the main island. The island of Singapore, also known as Pulau Ujong, has an area of 269 square miles and a current population of over 4 million. As far as I know, Indonesia was a very poor guess, as it doesn't even refer to one particular island.

Did anyone question the fact that Dennis said Russian Ambassador, rather than Soviet Ambassador? I'm thinking that J! generally allows Russian to be substituted for Soviet in most cases, but I thought given the obvious Cold War era given by the clue, that they might have negged him for that one, which would have made the game a lock if that was still the final clue.

Is it possible that they showed the final two clues, but no one answered them, so they edited them out? That would explain why there was never a "less than a minute to go" warning, which is I believe the second time that has happened in the last week or so.
alamble

Post by alamble »

StevenH wrote:
alamble wrote:I wish we'd gotten to the last two clues in Movies Based on Shakespeare.
I was precalling 10 Things I hate about You=The Taming of the Shrew.
There's no way that should have been either a $1600 or a $2000 clue, which were the two values remaining. Kiss Me, Kate would have been better. Shakespeare in Love would have been an interesting wrench in the works, because though it is not specifically based on the work, the play that ends up coming out of the events of the film is Twelfth Night.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:Is it possible that they showed the final two clues, but no one answered them, so they edited them out? That would explain why there was never a "less than a minute to go" warning, which is I believe the second time that has happened in the last week or so.
Someone postulated that on a game from last July — all I remember is that it was a Kids' Week game, and one of the kids had to type out his FJ! response instead of writing it.

As I pointed out, the FJ! reveal seemed incredibly rushed, so it's possible that they were crunched for time and indeed edited out two TSes at the end of the category.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Easy J! round, tough DJ! round. FJ took about five seconds.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

alamble wrote:Got Manhattan in about 10 seconds. Kinda surprised it was a TS, though I suppose if you've not visited New York, maybe it's easy to forget that Manhattan's a big ol' island?
Maybe most people don't realize just how small an island Manhattan is? That, or they just assumed they were looking for a country.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

HK Island and Manhattan both have population of 1mill + as of today but since the question is an island.

Everyone in the old days considers HK an island but today it is of HK Island, Kowloon, and New Territories so that is why I got Manhattan.

All in all, a good problem as I was hoping some punk would put NY (sans the county part) and lose the game. hahahah
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I was hoping that I'd see Strange Brew in the Shakespeare category.

It is very rare that I have a coin-flip and even rarer that I pick the wrong one in such a case, but today I picked Hong Kong over Manhattan. I have a friend from Hong Kong (and I've been to Manhattan) and his description made me think that HK was smaller than Manhattan.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Any other smart alecs besides me say Prince Henry?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Any other smart alecs besides me say Prince Henry?
That is his name, so I don't know what is smart-alecky about it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

FJ! was an instaget for me, and I was shocked that none of the contestants answered correctly.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

This one broke my 7-week FJ streak. I flipped back and forth between Singapore and Hong Kong and picked HK. Manhattan never entered my mind at all.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Haven't seen the episode, but I will mention that there is a hidden clue in the FJ clue - 1880 is an awfully precise year - but then there was a census that year.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

alietr wrote:
Brandon wrote:I noticed that they accepted his answer that Dobrynin was the RUSSIAN ambassador to the U.S., not the SOVIET ambassador, which is what his title really was. Does Jeopardy! normally allow "Russian" and "Soviet" to be used interchangeably? Confusing the two in everyday speech has always been kind of a pet peeve of mine :P
They usually let that one slide, but you are absolutely correct.
$2000 quesion: in category "Ambassedors," what country is someone named "Dimiri" from. :roll: :roll: :roll:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:I wish we'd gotten to the last two clues in Movies Based on Shakespeare. Forbidden Planet and Throne of Blood seemed rather obscure (especially considering Forbidden Planet's relationship to the actual story of The Tempest is pretty tenuous if memory serves) I wonder what else was on the list.
I hadn't heard of either movie at all, don't even know what they are about, but at least I (kind of) guessed correctly based on the title alone. (Imagined, from the title that "Forbidden Planet" was about castaways in space, kind of like "Lost in Space", making it fit nicely with "The Tempest". "Throne of Blood" I pictured a story about kings and bloodshed, thus it was a natural guess to say ... Hamlet, as I always get those two's titles mixed up. :oops: (Hey, at least my thought process was correct!))
Both asked and answered elsewhere, but there's a lot of precedent on J!, both before and after the fall of the Soviet Union, to accept "Russia" for the "Soviet Union" just as "England" is usually accepted for the UK. The only exceptions are when it may refer to a part of the country that isn't its erroneous eponym: For example, "Loch Lomond is in this country", "What is England?" would be incorrect, even if it's shorthand for "the UK", as it's in Scotland. "What is the UK?" would be correct (or maybe BMSed). Likewise "The Chernobyl nuclear accident happened in this country" shouldn't accept "What is Russia" as it happened in what is now the Ukraine. Whether it would have been accepted before the fall of the Soviet Union is a moot, but interesting point.
xxaaaxx wrote:
alamble wrote:Got Manhattan in about 10 seconds. Kinda surprised it was a TS, though I suppose if you've not visited New York, maybe it's easy to forget that Manhattan's a big ol' island?
Maybe most people don't realize just how small an island Manhattan is? That, or they just assumed they were looking for a country.
That was my assumption and was convinced my "Singapore" was right. :(

Surprised so many of y'all said "Cuba", either you have no idea how big Cuba is (the largest Caribbean island by far, and about 2,000 times larger than 22 sq. mi.) or you have no idea how small 22 square miles is (about the size of Manhattan).
CyrusChan wrote:HK Island and Manhattan both have population of 1mill + as of today but since the question is an island.

Everyone in the old days considers HK an island but today it is of HK Island, Kowloon, and New Territories so that is why I got Manhattan.

All in all, a good problem as I was hoping some punk would put NY (sans the county part) and lose the game. hahahah
Hong Kong the territory (aka the Chinese Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, previously the British territory of Hong Kong) is more than an island, but "Hong Kong" is an acceptable (if incorrect) response as it's also the name of the island too. Also why I considered it for a time before I realized it was bigger than Singapore.

Waiting to hear from seaborgium on Dennis' "stupid human trick". I hadn't seen an interview segment quite like that since a certain Stefan Goodreau's (first? second?) one! (I also remember Stefan's rendition was played/displayed (can't remember which) over the credits, too bad I stopped watching before the credits and already erased, I'm wondering now if Dennis' rendition got the Goodreau treatment.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I hadn't seen an interview segment quite like that since a certain Stefan Goodreau's (first? second?) one! (I also remember Stefan's rendition was played/displayed (can't remember which) over the credits,
I forget what Stefan did.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I hadn't seen an interview segment quite like that since a certain Stefan Goodreau's (first? second?) one! (I also remember Stefan's rendition was played/displayed (can't remember which) over the credits,
I forget what Stefan did.

http://youtu.be/BDktQEX0L7E
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:This one broke my 7-week FJ streak. I flipped back and forth between Singapore and Hong Kong and picked HK. Manhattan never entered my mind at all.
Seven weeks? Damn, Chris, that's impressive.
davey

Post by davey »

SavoyGirl wrote:Manhattan was virtually an instaget. It popped into my head within seconds, I reviewed the criteria, and it was so obvious!for a geography clue

It also helps that I work there and spend most of my waking hours there.
I do too, and I'm familiar with the 22 miles stat, so of course I got it - right after the think music...I went with Singapore early and stayed with it too late - so happy to have a quick plausible response in a geography category I didn't try to second-guess myself.