Wednesday, February 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by zakharov »

Opus I would never accuse you of being a scold. You're more of a crank. Wear that badge with pride. And font has been used in that way in word processors for decades, time to suck it up.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

It took me awhile to parse FJ! - realizing they were looking for a specific aircraft, and not a type (like a B-52, which is the only war plane type I can reliably know) too me way longer than it should have. Once I realized "Hey, aircraft. Weimar sounds German. What's a famous German aircraft? Hindenburg!". Sometimes you can get FJ!s by knowing very little - I have definitely studied the Weimar Republic at some point in my life, and knew it was German and probably 20th century, but couldn't put it in WWI or WWII or between with any great accuracy. I did briefly think "Zepplin" but "Hindenburg" sounded more like a name. NHO Herr Hindenburg.

I abbreviated the WoF clue to simply "What is buy a vowel", but I'm taking it. It could be "I'd like to..." or "May I...." as well as "Can I...", and I don't think the clue pointed to any one version. In fact, even "No more vowels" would make sense - and that's an actual phrase that pops up on the screen. (Although why they have that rule of revealing no more vowels, I'll never know. Speed up the game maybe?)

Headed to a bad neg on the "red yeast rice" clue with "fortified" because they used the word "stronger" - I went with the Latin for "stronger", and not Latin for "full". If they'd used any other supplement (like, say, acai berries or raspberry ketones *AHEM*), I probably could have gotten to the right response.

Cavalry was one of those eerie "in the news" clues today.

Also eerie - the observation of the fractal nature of the Chesapeake Bay yesterday on this very board, making its length technically dependent on the length of the measuring rod used. Those who clicked on that Wiki page made a cool $2000 in Coryat.

Anyone who watches "Dancing with the Stars" would probably think that the clue should have said "triple-speak" instead of "double-speak" for the cha-cha-cha.

Ken's doing a great job. Loved his "Faaaaaame" rendition of the Bowie song. We watched Labyrinth on VHS (or maybe Betamax) in school one day during recess because it was rainy. I will never forget my math teacher's strict edict during the opening credits: "Nobody speaks when David Bowie sings." Y'know what? She was right.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:36 pm Ran triple-named authors. Unsuccessfully pre-called Edgar Allan Poe and William Makepeace Thackeray. How'd everybody do on Ralph Waldo Emerson? Anyone fall for the negbait-ish Henry David Thoreau?
It was pretty nasty bait since Thoreau is also from Concord and wrote a very famous essay. But J! uses "Self-Reliance" enough that it was easy to pin.
davey

Post by davey »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 pm Opus I would never accuse you of being a scold. You're more of a crank. Wear that badge with pride. And font has been used in that way in word processors for decades, time to suck it up.
The OED offers these early uses-
1960 R. G. Underwood Production & Manufacturing Probl. Amer. University Presses iii. 175 It is most impressive to see this unit operating quietly, changing fonts, point sizes, and leading, justifying, quadding, and centering automatically and at a high rate of speed.
1993 M. B. Shebanek Compl. Guide Nextstep User Environment 303 Each time you download a font, it resides in the printer's RAM, so there is a finite amount of space in which to load fonts.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 2/4 on big clues. I've seen the name Mary Higgins Clark but I'm not familiar with her or her works. I thought of Spitfire and MiG but couldn't think of anything German. I've heard of all the German aircraft that have been mentioned in this thread so I should have had a better guess.

I had some trouble with the MATH IN THE WORLD category since the text wasn't shown and I couldn't read the clues. I missed angels on the Ponte Sant'Angelo and said gargoyles. I liked the category SYNONYM ROLES even though I missed a few.

I've never heard of the Woah. I got Emerson. Thankfully I've never had him and Thoreau confused.

John played really well for the third game in a row. He ran away with the game from the start.

It seems like there are less sports categories all of a sudden.

The Redemption Song statue is named for a Bob Marley song which ties it to Jamaica. There was a clue about fractals after the coastline paradox was discussed for yesterday's FJ.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:49 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:36 pm Ran triple-named authors. Unsuccessfully pre-called Edgar Allan Poe and William Makepeace Thackeray. How'd everybody do on Ralph Waldo Emerson? Anyone fall for the negbait-ish Henry David Thoreau?
It was pretty nasty bait since Thoreau is also from Concord and wrote a very famous essay. But J! uses "Self-Reliance" enough that it was easy to pin.
This may not be dispositive, but...You often see Henry Thoreau, but seldom Ralph Emerson. But I agree, Self-Reliance should be dispositive.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 pm Opus I would never accuse you of being a scold. You're more of a crank. Wear that badge with pride. And font has been used in that way in word processors for decades, time to suck it up.
Well, thank you! Yeah, I know this use of "font" goes way back. I just want to assign blame. I can't remember if WordPerfect used the term that way. Maybe it's Richard Stallman's fault. Or the guys at Adobe. Man, if I knew it was them I'd have even more schadenfreude at the demise of Flash. Anyway, I know we're never going to change things back. I just want to know who we should burn in effigy. Which is pretty much what one should expect from a crank. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:42 pm I did briefly think "Zepplin" but "Hindenburg" sounded more like a name. NHO Herr Hindenburg.
They're both names.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:58 pm The Redemption Song statue is named for a Bob Marley song which ties it to Jamaica. There was a clue about fractals after the coastline paradox was discussed for yesterday's FJ.
I thought it was interesting that fractals came up today and surprised no one at least tried Jamaica. I guess none of the three are reggae fans.

Very embarrassing miss on FJ for me. I was fixated on fixed-wing aircraft and went with Messerschmitt. My wife had Hindenburg immediately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:31 pm I thought it was interesting that fractals came up today
Spoiler
Because of yesterday's FJ?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:49 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:31 pm I thought it was interesting that fractals came up today
Spoiler
Because of yesterday's FJ?
Spoiler
correct. See the link to the "coastline paradox" I posted yesterday
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I'm liking the STEM categories this week. Wednesday, I got 4 of 5. Did not quite understand what they were asking for with the coordinate system until the answer was given...but I was thinking of something that must be in three dimensions (given the picture) but couldn't come up with any ideas. Then, it was a facepalm moment.

One of my capstone presentations in grad school was about fractals...so the $2000 clue was an instaget. As an audience participation activity, I led the participants in re-creating the dragon fractals that served as the chapter headings in Jurassic Park using the Geometer's Sketchpad software.

As for FJ...nope! Never even considered Hindenburg.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Took a second to process Weimar, but it was smooth sailing after that. 3/3 FJ this week. (*knocks on wood*)

I do know the woah, did not know it fast enough to get credit. I think I have the episode somewhere on my DVR, but thanks to this uploader for having it ready: From Jason Z. game 18..

Congrats to John for becoming a 3-day champ.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Count me as another drowning in Walden Pond. I did experience FJ as an instaget, then spent the rest of the time worrying I was underthinking it.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I finally picked Messerschmidt over Fokker thinking Weimar Republic fits in the time frame between wars with planes. On reveal, ugh! RTFQ :roll: .
I not only NHO Whoa, I didn't remember the clue to know what it isn't until reading this thread.
I just knee jerked into "Cartesian Coordinates" when I saw the graphic. I suppose it would either BLS or BMS or be accepted. I'm glad they ran all the clues in spite of the wordy construction.
I used to rub on lettering graphics to make flyers, etc.. back in the real cut-and-paste days. I think the sheets were labeled as "fonts", but am not sure. It was my first encounter with the term. Now I'm having bad flashbacks about 9-pin dot matrix printers thanks to this discussion :evil: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Fokker is Dutch, so you could definitely exclude him.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Apparently the dance is called the "woah," not "whoa" and that annoys me for some reason.

I'll bet 12 Foot Boy was thinking of the Focke-Wulf 190. That and the Messerschmitt 109 were the two principle German fighters of WWII.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 am Apparently the dance is called the "woah," not "whoa" and that annoys me for some reason.

I'll bet 12 Foot Boy was thinking of the Focke-Wulf 190. That and the Messerschmitt 109 were the two principle German fighters of WWII.
I definitely came up with Fokker initially, but quickly moved away realizing they were asking for a specific aircraft, more along the lines of "Spirit of St Louis" or "Glamorous Glennis" (as opposed to Ryan or Bell), and from there it didn't take long to settle on "Hindenberg".
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Hindenburg was an instaget for me. The missed MH Clark DD was a surprise since he’d been doing well before that.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

In my humble opinion, crossing the aisle does not mean to show bipartisanship. It means to change parties.

I started out being torn between Hindenburg and Graf Zeppelin but settled on Hindenburg because I vaguely remembered it is the name of a German Statesman, and I thought Graf Zeppelin was too obscure.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.