Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

Tough FJ for me. Add me as one who’ll be glad to no longer see that awful Olay-sponsored drivel. I hate guest questioners anyway & this week was especially awful.

The new champ was awfully strong until FJ. I never knew that info about Nuremberg so that was nice to see. I saw Dylan in Oslo in July 2019 & it was just after he deemed cellphones verboten & people were taken out for using their phones. Great show regardless!

Clue is a great game for families. I’ve never heard of the other games Nocht mentioned.

User avatar
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by rockyboy34 »

Well, that ends John’s run. Tough final, indeed.

6/10 (C+)
I’ve made a new life over here.

https://tripleatpir.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4378
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

What a combined Coryat tonight! That almost TOC-like. My son and I looked at each other on FJ, both knowing who it referred to. I finally got past Epimenides to Diogenes (“that guy with the lantern”) but who knows whether I’d have managed to write it down before the end of Think Time.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4329
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I was pretty sure I knew who FJ was referring to - not sure I had a good reason except wandering through town looking for an honest man seems a little nutty - but I could not remember his name... :evil:
Archimedes shouting EUREKA in the bathtub seemed a good second choice, so that's who I ended up with...

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Not a clue on FJ!, so I put down the answer that used Occam's Razor, and got sliced at the SPA. I couldn't help noticing that John bet 9K when he had 16K, which means he'd get 25K if he got it right - and 9, 16, 25 are the famous squares of the sides of the 3-4-5 right triangle that Pythagoras loved so much.

Instead of "all in", I said "James Holtzhauer". Judges? (Naw, I got it - but that was almost more of a J! question for many, rather than a poker one.)

The properties before free parking are ORANGE? Were they ever tan or beige? Like in the 80s? I'm looking at an Etsy pic of a "vintage" 80s Monopoly game, and it's making me feel both sad and old at the same time, because it seems orange to me, but I could have sworn it was more tan. Being literally color blind probably doesn't help me at all.

It's nice to watch J! after a Bruins-Rangers game, where two players played rock-paper-scissors to see who'd get to leave the ice last after warmups were done. My little rat Marchand lost, but it at least put the game fresh in my head. I probably would have gotten the DD without it.

Even if this game were played in December, almost any clue with the word "vaccine" in it should be an automatic top row clue back then, and for at least the next 12 months.

Picked the wrong famous California prison for Johnny Cash's DD. But at least TIL that Alcatraz was no longer a prison after 1963 - didn't quite have that date in my mind. I guess it's still hypothetically possible for Cash to have played there, but his prison albums were more late 1960s.

AntmanB
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AntmanB »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:44 pm
AntmanB wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:15 pm
STEM girl
You understand why this appellation is insulting and sexist to a respected Ph.D. molecular and developmental biologist? (Or indeed any person over the age of adulthood?)

IMHO, there are ways of expressing fair criticisms of guest readers without resorting to sexism.
Apologies. Post has been edited.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 1/4 on big clues. Only got Rock/Paper/Scissors. I mixed up Carnation and Chrysanthemum, I couldn't pull San Quentin in time, and I couldn't think of Diogenes even though I was familiar with him. Pretty good chance I'll get those from now on.

I like the story about when Diogenes met Alexander the Great on Wikipedia:

Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him, and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun."[7] It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I wish I were Diogenes."[8]


I went 0/5 on symbols. I guessed ant instead of bee. Not sure what I was thinking. The noble ant.

John had a good run. Lance played well. Fun to watch.
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:42 pm
bluejaylink wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 pm
Get we all agree to getting rid of the Monopoly board colours from the trivia rotation? Thanks lol
On my to-do list for tonight was make Monopoly color flashcards... :lol:
The orange properties were in the Game Theory category because they are strategically important. That clue is a good factoid. If you buy the orange properties in Monopoly you will win. Trade everything you have, trade boardwalk and park place, get the orange properties. It works.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5426
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:31 pm
That was most definitely a TOC-level FJ right there, in that I wrote down the correct response almost immediately, and spent the rest of the time trying to convince myself that I went too deep and overthought it.
That was pretty much me. Although I wasn't super confident, Diogenes felt right. A dude who walked around searching for an honest man seems a little bit out there.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:52 pm


The properties before free parking are ORANGE? Were they ever tan or beige? Like in the 80s? I'm looking at an Etsy pic of a "vintage" 80s Monopoly game, and it's making me feel both sad and old at the same time, because it seems orange to me, but I could have sworn it was more tan. Being literally color blind probably doesn't help me at all.
purple, light blue, maroon, orange, red, yellow, green, dark blue. :geek:

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray »

It's the symbol for an unstressed vowel, such as the middle one in the word "je-pər-dē"
This is just wrong. Lots of unstressed vowels are not schwas -- for instance, the last vowel of that very word they used as an example.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7405
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

A Wray wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am
It's the symbol for an unstressed vowel, such as the middle one in the word "je-pər-dē"
This is just wrong. Lots of unstressed vowels are not schwas -- for instance, the last vowel of that very word they used as an example.
Secondary stress. :P

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

DBear wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:09 am
talkingaway wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:52 pm


The properties before free parking are ORANGE? Were they ever tan or beige? Like in the 80s? I'm looking at an Etsy pic of a "vintage" 80s Monopoly game, and it's making me feel both sad and old at the same time, because it seems orange to me, but I could have sworn it was more tan. Being literally color blind probably doesn't help me at all.
purple, light blue, maroon, orange, red, yellow, green, dark blue. :geek:
Oooh, sorry. Mediterranean and Baltic are brown now....

I still honestly 100% always referred to the orange properties as tan. Maybe my board was faded. I actually new the game theory factoid about the tan...erm...ORANGE properties. I read some Monopoly book when I was about 10 or 11, and it was in there, front and center. It's because of their strategic position after jail.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:02 am
DBear wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:09 am
talkingaway wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:52 pm


The properties before free parking are ORANGE? Were they ever tan or beige? Like in the 80s? I'm looking at an Etsy pic of a "vintage" 80s Monopoly game, and it's making me feel both sad and old at the same time, because it seems orange to me, but I could have sworn it was more tan. Being literally color blind probably doesn't help me at all.
purple, light blue, maroon, orange, red, yellow, green, dark blue. :geek:
Oooh, sorry. Mediterranean and Baltic are brown now....

I still honestly 100% always referred to the orange properties as tan. Maybe my board was faded. I actually new the game theory factoid about the tan...erm...ORANGE properties. I read some Monopoly book when I was about 10 or 11, and it was in there, front and center. It's because of their strategic position after jail.

And this is why I hate Monopoly color clues. Some of the shades are hard to call a specific color, and you can find different sources that give you different colors for the same properties. Thankfully, there is the Archive, which one can use to figure out what the "Jeopardy! official" Monopoly colors are, but not every property group has been asked about.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4329
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am
A Wray wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am
It's the symbol for an unstressed vowel, such as the middle one in the word "je-pər-dē"
This is just wrong. Lots of unstressed vowels are not schwas -- for instance, the last vowel of that very word they used as an example.
Secondary stress. :P
Take the comma out of the clue and it's giving an example of one kind of unstressed vowel. We don't know that the writer put a comma in it - only that Ken paused, and the closed captioner put one in...
But I would say that Johnny Gilbert, for one, often makes us hear the a in the middle of Jeopardy!...

pdano
Valued Contributor
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by pdano »

mas3cf wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:42 pm
bluejaylink wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 pm
Get we all agree to getting rid of the Monopoly board colours from the trivia rotation? Thanks lol
On my to-do list for tonight was make Monopoly color flashcards... :lol:
Good news - they're pre-made!

I'm another who knew it cold because of the former board member. I liked John but Lance is clearly having an "oh damn I'm great at this" moment in Double Jeopardy and how do you not root for that.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1932
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:02 am

Oooh, sorry. Mediterranean and Baltic are brown now....

I still honestly 100% always referred to the orange properties as tan. Maybe my board was faded. I actually new the game theory factoid about the tan...erm...ORANGE properties. I read some Monopoly book when I was about 10 or 11, and it was in there, front and center. It's because of their strategic position after jail.
Agree with this statement. I just looked at an image of a vintage board, and it is the exact color I remember, and it is tannish-brown to me. If it is supposed to be orange, it would be the saddest orange ever. I remembered the red and purple colors popping a little more than the image on-line, so who knows.

I'll have to look into that game theory thing, I always thought the red properties would almost lock the game. It seems like it cost a little more to build on the back end of a row so it takes longer to get to that third house which is the tipping point. We actually got one of those new local versions "Joplinopoly", and this polar vortex may force us to either play a game or burn it for fuel (or both).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:54 pm
I got Final right thanks to a certain former contestant's old board name
I got Final right because I happened to know it. But the memories it brought back of that old board member's name made me smile.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7633
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:02 am
DBear wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:09 am
talkingaway wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:52 pm


The properties before free parking are ORANGE? Were they ever tan or beige? Like in the 80s? I'm looking at an Etsy pic of a "vintage" 80s Monopoly game, and it's making me feel both sad and old at the same time, because it seems orange to me, but I could have sworn it was more tan. Being literally color blind probably doesn't help me at all.
purple, light blue, maroon, orange, red, yellow, green, dark blue. :geek:
Oooh, sorry. Mediterranean and Baltic are brown now....
Even board games aren't safe from water pollution...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Hard Road of Hope (9), The Madness of King George (8), Batman and Harley Quinn (8), Soul (9)

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:10 am
talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:02 am

Oooh, sorry. Mediterranean and Baltic are brown now....

I still honestly 100% always referred to the orange properties as tan. Maybe my board was faded. I actually new the game theory factoid about the tan...erm...ORANGE properties. I read some Monopoly book when I was about 10 or 11, and it was in there, front and center. It's because of their strategic position after jail.
Agree with this statement. I just looked at an image of a vintage board, and it is the exact color I remember, and it is tannish-brown to me. If it is supposed to be orange, it would be the saddest orange ever. I remembered the red and purple colors popping a little more than the image on-line, so who knows.

I'll have to look into that game theory thing, I always thought the red properties would almost lock the game. It seems like it cost a little more to build on the back end of a row so it takes longer to get to that third house which is the tipping point. We actually got one of those new local versions "Joplinopoly", and this polar vortex may force us to either play a game or burn it for fuel (or both).
Maybe this is the start of a Mandela effect - if we can convince others that New York is tan, too.

Reds are the next best property group, IIRC. Houses on each "street" cost the same, so it makes the second group of properties in each row that much more valuable - a $100 house costs the same to build if it's on a purple vs an orange property. And I distinctly remember the Monopoly book I had years ago noting the huge shift in prices between house 2 and house 3 - basically, do everything you can to build that third house.

As far as colors, I've always called them dark purple, light blue, (light) purple, tan (oops, orange), red, yellow, green, (dark) blue. I sympathize for anyone who hasn't played the game - unlike the 40 presidents back then (I'm an 80s kid), the 40 spaces on a monopoly board are burned into my head, so any clues about them should be easy for me in theory.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8333
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ok, here's a Monopoly board that looks the way I remember. The relevant properties are along the upper left side. Is that the color some of you are calling tan? I'd go with orange or maybe brownish-orange. I can see it fading to tan. But right now I wouldn't call it tan.

Image

Post Reply