Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm FYI, if you see Timothy Leary's name your Pavlovian reaction should be "LSD." "flying pink-and-purple walrus".
FTFY
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:02 am If I hadn't gotten 0 for it, I'd complain about Himalayas not being taken for Kashmir.
I got zero for it and geography is my 12th best category. But I was still happy to get credit, but no points for "Cashmere" :lol".

I've never bothered to see if there is any connection, but always just imagined a soft sweater as a mental mnemonic for the territory. And for years, every news story seemed to describe it as the disputed region, blah blah and all the words in Thorsten's clue. I forgot to transcribe my mnemonic it to Kashmir, but got the credit anyway ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:53 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:08 pm I got 5 right (Bose-Einstein / Cleveland / Kruger / Stalingrad / Angler), but moneyed a wrong guess of "Treatise" for "Essay". I also blew the Leadbelly answer with "Eileen", instead of "Irene". I could hear the lyric, but if I'd backed up to the "Good Night" part, it would have been an instaget. I've always known that song as it was my maternal grandmother's name :oops:.
Don't bury the lead here 12Footer but you were the top E Taiga performer and would've qualified out of the B, C, and D rundlers in Taiga...awesome! I live in the northeast and Irene was a memorable storm so I never even got to the singer part of that clue.
And TIL there are more innards to be explored on LL. I'll have to work on my teamwork skills. Taiga needs to gain 700 points to catch the rapscallions in Magnolia. Where was morbeedo when we needed him???
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Usually when you look at the chart showing get rates by Rundle, there's a pretty clear pattern of the results descending through the ranks, i.e., A has the highest, then B, etc. The "Attack on Titan" question shows very little of such correlation, and a C Rundle had the highest get rate.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I tied yesterday 5(4)-5(4) missing Attack and Nighthawks...pretty frustrating when I could see the painting in my head but I could not remember the title of it for the life of me. I also made my first ever BWA/joke answer with On Golden Pond for the manga one as I had absolutely no idea and no hope of coming up with anything remotely correct.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 am I also made my first ever BWA/joke answer with On Golden Pond for the manga one as I had absolutely no idea and no hope of coming up with anything remotely correct.
Wow, I did the exact same thing! :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:14 pm
classicroadster wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 am I also made my first ever BWA/joke answer with On Golden Pond for the manga one as I had absolutely no idea and no hope of coming up with anything remotely correct.
Had I known in advance my 'Yuri on Ice' was going to end up wrong, I'd've gone for something like "Pokem" or "e Punch Man"...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Before I got to the 'two streets meet' part, I thought the question was going to be about Hopper's painting "Chop Suey". That would have been a happy change of pace from all the Nighthawks questions.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bomtr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm Before I got to the 'two streets meet' part, I thought the question was going to be about Hopper's painting "Chop Suey". That would have been a happy change of pace from all the Nighthawks questions.
Yeah, you'd think "Nighthawks" was the only thing Hopper ever painted.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:26 pm
bomtr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm Before I got to the 'two streets meet' part, I thought the question was going to be about Hopper's painting "Chop Suey". That would have been a happy change of pace from all the Nighthawks questions.
He was quite prolific. When he died, they found ... a whole Hopperful of his works.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:03 am
Johnblue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:32 pm 8 correct. I should’ve read the Presidential Veto question more carefully. I thought Jackson was the answer. I put Hildegarde for the German Sybil question.
Years ago, I read a fair amount about the history of brewing. According to beer historian Alan Emes, St. Hildegarde of Bingen was an herbalist whose writings included the earliest known reference to using hops in beer.
TBH I only knew Hildegarde as a woman from German history. But I tend to learn from my mistakes so I’ll not make that mistake next time.

As for yesterday I was 6/6 initially but as I clicked submit my browser closed so I had to re-enter my answers & I forgot to include Toronto as part of the raptors answer. I ended up in a tie. Again.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:30 pm
He was quite prolific. When he died, they found ... a whole Hopperful of his works.
I bet if they weren't all water damaged, we'd know about much more than Nighthawks...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm
Had I known in advance my 'Yuri on Ice' was going to end up wrong, I'd've gone for something like "Pokem" or "e Punch Man"...
You're about the 4th person I've seen make this joke which is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the question. The question tells you that the English version includes the "on", you weren't supposed to take it out.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:13 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm
You're about the 4th person I've seen make this joke which is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the question. The question tells you that the English version includes the "on", you weren't supposed to take it out.
Exactly. Doubling down on the wrongness.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Did you know Hopper did clowns?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 pm
Would that be Clem Kadiddle Hopper (a.k.a. Red Skelton)?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 pm
Let’s leave his personal life out of this
Total game show career losings = $171,522
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had a bad RTFQ incident yesterday and read "businesswomen" as "businessmen". I am pretty sure I would have gotten it and the 3 points that came with it. I still would have lost, but I am back in the relegation zone now and need all the points that I can get.

And I was surprised to see that I even got as close as "generator fault" for "ground fault."
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I've heard of exactly 3 types of retrievers, golden, lab, and Chesapeake Bay. While it doesn't exactly strike me as icy, there was nothing else to go on for me. I've NHO a Nova Scotia retriever or a toller so that was a new one. I wasn't familiar with Bowie's backing band, and the best I could come up with martian spiders which wasn't close enough. Still won 4(4)-3(3) as my opponent also missed ground fault.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I have heard of the duck tolling retriever, but couldn't remember the "Nova Scotia" part in the name. I went with the MCWA of "Newfoundland."

For the baby-sitting question my first thought was detective, thinking of the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series, but couldn't believe there could possibly be 100 books in that series since it's written by a single author. Then I remembered the Baby-sitters Club series and that made much more sense.

If you know the song "Ziggy Stardust" Bowie mentions the Spiders From Mars in the lyrics. Also the full name of the album it appears on is "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars." Excellent album.