Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Another one for how-the-heck-did-they-accept-bang.

Nassau and Suffolk counties comprise Long Island (Brooklyn and Queens are also on Long Island, but they're part of NYC, so when people refer to Long Island, they rarely mean those two boroughs). Both Nassau and Suffolk have larger populations than 10 states. When I was growing up lo those many years ago, the town (Hempstead) I lived in was more populous than 13 states.

And Screech was a no-brainer for me. I've seen a lot of the Presidents' Races (and I take exception to where they put the apostrophe in the clue).
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:42 am Another one for how-the-heck-did-they-accept-bang.
Ken just wanted to brag about how he banged more people than anyone else in Jeopardy! history.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Slam dunk FJ in my household, but if you didn't have a way in, not a lot to work with there. Although, given the Ma Rainey buzz and recent Oscar history, I suppose you could get there.

Mete on the gossip clue. Judges?

Count me as mystified how "bang" was allowed as well.

I also went with aubergine.
Last edited by Picked Off on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Here's some citations from more than 50 but less than 60 years ago.

"Detroit banged the Orioles 10-4 Tuesday night." Saint Cloud Times, May 17, 1961 https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/224321641/
"The Tigers banged the Cubs Monday." La Marque Times, June 22, 1962 https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/6438183/
"Chicago's pacesetting Cubs banged the Giants, 7-5, in Arizona Instructional League baseball yesterday" Arizona Republic, October 30, 1968 https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/117552762/

And here's a non-baseball example (lest the above usages be thought as allusions to hitting performance) from within my lifetime: "On Thursday night In front of 79,700 fans, national TV gawkers and Howard Cosell, the 1983 Browns banged the Bengals, 17-7." Dayton Daily News, September 16, 1983 https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/406222335/ (Perhaps the word choice was inspired by the consonant sounds of the defeated team, but it's undeniable that the word is being used to mean what the J! clue said it meant.)
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Apparently a minor Twitter eruption over the “ended up in Queens Jamaica” story.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I saw a couple others mention they thought the boards were tough and I agree. Got FJ, but wasn't 100% on it. Both the Pittsburgh and "Jitney" nuggets helped.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

danspartan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 am Apparently a minor Twitter eruption over the “ended up in Queens Jamaica” story.
What were they saying? When she was telling the story, I was thinking, "There are a lot worse places to end up on the subway than Jamaica."
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Speculation/supposition about her fear of being in place with people unlike her. I didn’t get that vibe from her but I can see their point.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

danspartan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:22 am Speculation/supposition about her fear of being in place with people unlike her. I didn’t get that vibe from her but I can see their point.
She was a 15 year old girl lost in New York. I can understand her being scared and that doesn’t make her a racist.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Very pleased with myself. Pulled the Nassau County Coliseum from occasionally watching New York Islanders hockey game on WOR-TV on cable in rural central Pennsylvania as a teenager in the 1980s. Never would have got it as a normal clue by as a daily double, it took about 10 to 15 seconds and it came to me.

The good old days, when you got 13 stations on TV and a lot of the kids you went to school with were jealous, because they got three or fewer on an antenna.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sherm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:36 pmThe good old days, when you got 13 stations on TV and a lot of the kids you went to school with were jealous, because they got three or fewer on an antenna.
That's how one of my former bosses started one of the first cable television systems. His family's store sold TV's in Pottsville in rural Pennsylvania, but not many people wanted to buy a set because they couldn't get reception. So he set up a cable system, and then people wanted to buy his TVs.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Just got Power back here in Houston after almost 36 hours so just now getting to watch the episode.

I Love how Ken says "no".

I Agree with everyone on "Bang" being accepted. it shouldnt have.

I dont know anything about Playwrights.

Lach Trash - Davis Cup, Washington Nationals, Lean on me DD
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 am
danspartan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:22 am Speculation/supposition about her fear of being in place with people unlike her. I didn’t get that vibe from her but I can see their point.
She was a 15 year old girl lost in New York. I can understand her being scared and that doesn’t make her a racist.
Agreed. And that's true even if part of her fear was because everyone looked different from what she was used to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:31 pm Just got Power back here in Houston after almost 36 hours so just now getting to watch the episode.

I Love how Ken says "no".

I Agree with everyone on "Bang" being accepted. it shouldnt have.
And it's been COLD in Houston, huh? 36 hours! Wow.

Yeah, Ken's "Noooo" is a treat.

Did you see Davey's OED citation for "bang" and Seaborgium's modern-day citations? For me it adds up to enough reason to accept the response, even though I don't personally recall encountering that use of of the word.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:51 pm
Sherm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:36 pmThe good old days, when you got 13 stations on TV and a lot of the kids you went to school with were jealous, because they got three or fewer on an antenna.
That's how one of my former bosses started one of the first cable television systems. His family's store sold TV's in Pottsville in rural Pennsylvania, but not many people wanted to buy a set because they couldn't get reception. So he set up a cable system, and then people wanted to buy his TVs.
My wife grew up in Philly in the 60s and 70s and got a kick out of the fact that there’s a High St in Pottsville. Yep, we’re easily amused out here...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:30 pm Pittsburgh gave it to me.
Not me, man. I saw the movie version of "Fences" with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, and loved it, but I cannot remember a single thing about it that would link it to any city in my mind.

I thought tonight' returning champ looked good (last Friday) to have something of a streak of wins. I don't know why I ever say that, since my predictions aren't on target all that often. He did look strong, though, in his win.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

alan tiger wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 am i lived in rockville centre, nassau county, new york, from 1953 to 1962.
1 one of my childhood friends was dean skelos, former republican majority leader of new york state senate, until his corruption conviction.
2 my best childhood friend was a fellow named bart kamen, whose father, jack kamen, was an illustrator for mad, weird science, and several other ec comics. bart's younger brother was named dean, and he was the guy who invented the segway. they lived literally around the corner from us.
3 we lived three or four blocks away from ray heatherton, "the merry mailman," whose daughter, joey (a few years older than i), was kicked out of junior high school for engaging in certain illicit acts on the roof of the school.
Thank you for sharing all that trivia that will never come up on Jeopardy.

I was rooting for Karen. She has such a beautiful name. I really admire women named Karen, especially when coupled with her Norwegian last name. Unfortunately, her wager on The Daily Double showed that she wasn't there to play to win. I was happy as a clam when she pulled the right answer. At one time Long Island was referred to officially as the Nassau-Suffolk metropolitan area. I'll bet no one ever called it that in conversation.

I was not impressed when the new champ blew the second Daily Double.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:57 pm
alan tiger wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 am i lived in rockville centre, nassau county, new york, from 1953 to 1962.
1 one of my childhood friends was dean skelos, former republican majority leader of new york state senate, until his corruption conviction.
2 my best childhood friend was a fellow named bart kamen, whose father, jack kamen, was an illustrator for mad, weird science, and several other ec comics. bart's younger brother was named dean, and he was the guy who invented the segway. they lived literally around the corner from us.
3 we lived three or four blocks away from ray heatherton, "the merry mailman," whose daughter, joey (a few years older than i), was kicked out of junior high school for engaging in certain illicit acts on the roof of the school.
Thank you for sharing all that trivia that will never come up on Jeopardy.
Shaking my head. I, for one, found his post interesting.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So what shows up on Master Minds one day later?

Master Minds Nassau.png
Master Minds Nassau.png (465.73 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:41 pm Subarus on parade, to take a cue from AP. Yes, I said to my family re that DD3 wager “if she doesn’t go all in she isn’t interested in winning.” FJ was to me a Pavlovian clue: playwright + Pittsburgh? One answer.
Lol these boards were mine for the banging. My only real blind spot was the Bill Withers song. I’m simply horrible at sports but I ran that tennis category. That playwrights final was the cherry on top, though I must admit I’ve never seen or read August Wilson. Must remedy that.

For those playing at home, August Wilson has a Broadway theatre named after him. Mean Girls was still playing there when COVID came to town. The show must go on, but Mean Girls will not be returning.

Karen was very likable. Sure, her story was a little cringeworthy but she doesn’t deserve the dragging on Twitter. I had a similar experience when I first moved to NYC, but I’ll find something else for my contestant interview