Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray »

Since Ken knows everything in the world, I assume he knows what a volley is, but maybe not since he implied that that response was wrong because of the number of letters.

For the record, a "volley" is a stroke that is hit before the ball bounces (its opposite is "groundstroke"). It is not a synonym for "rally," and misusing it in that sense is a good way to drive the tennis player in your life bonkers.

And speaking of things that drive me bonkers...
DBear wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 pm And who the hell is August Wilson?
The same multi-Pulitzer winner he was the last time he was the correct response on FJ, when you told the Sony board that you didn't know and didn't care who he was. Turns out not wanting to learn things is a bad strategy in this game.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

A Wray wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:15 pm Since Ken knows everything in the world, I assume he knows what a volley is, but maybe not since he implied that that response was wrong because of the number of letters.
I imagine his point was that it wasn't a great guess.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Wray wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:15 pm Since Ken knows everything in the world, I assume he knows what a volley is, but maybe not since he implied that that response was wrong because of the number of letters.

For the record, a "volley" is a stroke that is hit before the ball bounces (its opposite is "groundstroke"). It is not a synonym for "rally," and misusing it in that sense is a good way to drive the tennis player in your life bonkers.
If only I had a tennis player in my life. :lol: Oh well, this is good info anyway. I wasn't aware of that distinction.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I know there was no chance of it happening, but I really wanted to hear Karen say, "You go right back up there and get me a toddler! They've got more'n they can handle!"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember Snoopy being in a tennis tournament in Peanuts against someone named Molly Volley, that helped me get this one.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:22 am Anyone else think that for "In Genesis 4 this murder takes place", Cain and Abel should have gotten a BMS?
Not for me. If I said "The Zodiac Killer murders", that's a fairly standard delineation of an event by the murderer. Yes, it's often more common to use the name of the deceased, particularly when there's only one - like John Lennon's murder. But you could argue that the Biblical murder is Cain's murder, and it's the murder of Abel. Both should be acceptable, and giving both doesn't make the response wrong.

In fact, Googling "first murder in the Bible" gives Cain as the heading.

I do have to say that the clue did cause a little bit of mental static for me despite being so short, because I was unclear of whether they wanted Cain, Abel, or both. I settled on "What is Cain's murder of Abel" as my final resposne. And looking back on it, the writers could have done a better job by just changing it to "...the murder of this person takes place", or "...this person committed the first murder". That way you have to know who's killing whom.

From a quick Google, it can also mean "to discharge in quick succession", like a volley of bullets. Yes, it has a technical meaning in tennis, and it's probably still wrong on that basis, but it's nice that Ken didn't have to adjudicate that simply because it had the wrong number of letters.

And, no, Ken doesn't know everything - every once in awhile on Master Minds, I'm a little surprised that he gets something wrong.
julycoaron
Contributor

Post by julycoaron »

One of my favorite NY Times Crossword Clues was "Initial Offer." The answer was CAIN.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Negged with Washington Post.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rally, Maria Sharapova, Davis Cup, Washington Nationals, When I See an Elephant Fly, George IV, Gaunt, (Lean on Me), Phoenix, Dallas
Douglas Squasoni
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 pm The more I see of Ken, the more I want him to become the permanent host.
All in favor of this quote say “aye”.

Anyway, it’s a decent, if unspectacular President Day episode.

6/10 (B-)

PS: “Lean on Me” should’ve been gotten.
It's the end of the journey that counts.