Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

mahatma wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 am
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:37 pm Was not aware figure was such a literal descriptor prior to the 90s for figure skating. Closest I managed to get was trying to add/remove a word from 'ice dancing.' I can safely say I have never seen skating of figures.

Edit: and apparently skating of figures wasn't televised anyway because it was boring and took upwards of eight hours (if Wiki is to be believed)
I don't think that's right. I distinctly remember them showing snippets of the skaters doing their figures when they were discussing what their current scores were since those points went toward their total. We're not talking long clips, just them skating in those figure 8s and staying as close as possible to the line. It was an exacting process for the skaters, and some were definitely better than others.
I remember that, too, but I imagine Volante was saying figures was not broadcast live as the short and long programs typically are.

I think a lot of old school skaters and judges probably bemoan the loss of figures somewhat. Most of them probably found them tedious to do and judge, but they also emphasized skating fundamentals such as edging and turns.
Can you imagine if an NBA championship/World Series/Stanley Cup game was decided in part by a pre-game skills competition?
This comparison makes little sense. All of figure skating is a skills competition. This is like if the NBA 3 point contest had a separate free throw shooting contest. But free throws are boring so they do this part Saturday afternoon to preliminarily rank the shooters and show you brief highlights before the "real" show.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm Passed right over figure skating in my thought process, thinking it was merely a descriptive name like "rhythmic gymnastics". Said bobsled just to have something.
This gets my vote for BWA. I loved the mental picture of what sledding looked like before they eliminated bobbing as a skill.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

Twelve years in Catholic school. I ran that category... including Veronica... which I sang a la Elvis Costello for fun.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Pop $600 and $1000 and American Factory. I know who Brandy is, couldn't tell you any of her songs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Obligation, Saint Veronica, (La Crosse), Sable, Thirty-Something, Room, Jacques Cartier
Douglas Squasoni
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Not too bad in terms of lach trash, but this was a rather underwhelming Wednesday episode.

4/10 (C-)
It's the end of the journey that counts.