Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WINTER SPORTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The specific skill that gave this sport its name was eliminated from international competition after the 1990 World Championships

Phil Hoffman: 12800-1279=5
Andy West: 13800-11801=1999 (New Champ)
Natalie Walsh: 8800-8793=7

Correct response:
Spoiler
figure skating (Phil – What is curling?) (Andy – What is skeleton?) (Natalie – What is target-)

Daily Doubles
Phil: 600-1000
Phil: 5800+5000
Natalie: 11200-4000

Coryats
Phil: 10800
Andy: 13800
Natalie: 12800

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Phil: 600
Andy: 6200
Natalie: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken had to do another reversal at clue 1's Catholicism $400: It’s the ecclesiastical jurisdiction & territory administered by an archbishop

Andy was negged for "see" and Phil rebounded after Ken had him add to his diocese response. After Andy got his money back at chat time it turned out to be a double get clue.

Phil had a chance to complete another comeback as he trailed throughout the game yet was in a close second by the FJ! round. If Phil covers Natalie possibly doubling up her 8800 then he amazingly would have won a third game.

Instead it was Andy left with the princely sum of 1999 taking the match.

The FJ! category had me only precall biathlon and luge.

The FJ! clue had me unable to write anything as my brainstorm of sports left me with nothing fitting. I was all over the place with my precalls, then skeleton (thinking some kind of prone position skill), ski this, snow this, speed this...

It was such a duh moment when Ken gave the correct response and my reaction was, "Why didn't you say so?" The writers found a way to make the clue convoluted enough to stump me on something I do know. The thinking process to get there does not work for me on that kind of clue.

I needed to give it the "New York" method like ones on the states to check on the all important and popular option. Should have kept the clue simple and started with the basics.

0/3 this week with not even sports saving me. At this point I'm not even sure what category to hope for tomorrow.

Good season for Andy (four letter) W. guys after wins by Wood in November.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:57 pm Ken had to do another reversal at clue 1's Catholicism $400: It’s the ecclesiastical jurisdiction & territory administered by an archbishop

Andy was negged for "see" and Phil rebounded after Ken had him add to his diocese response. After Andy got his money back at chat time it turned out to be a double get clue.
Shades of "bishopric" from this game (RELIGION for $1000):

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4091
Leander

Post by Leander »

Luckily for me, the correct answer popped up pretty quickly in my run through of Winter Olympic sports. I could confirm from my memory of the coverage when the change was made.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6944

It's slow-going with so many media clues and the non-stop weather graphic covering up parts of 90% of the clues. The OCR does not like that at all.

But, the game aired, unlike in Houston, so better than nothing.

AntmanB: How did you see Monday's game? It aired in Houston at a later time or different channel, or on one of the favorite online video sites?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,200 (50R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Four FJ misses in a row now. Passed right over figure skating in my thought process, thinking it was merely a descriptive name like "rhythmic gymnastics". Said bobsled just to have something.
Afterr my 30 seconds were up, I pivoted to trying to figure out the answer by pulling up the full list of winter sports to see what I missed, and none struck me as obviously right. Not surprised this was a TS, will be interesting to see how this polls.

Negs: Mary Magdalene for Veronica and golf clubs for golf balls (failing to apply critical thinking).
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I broke a nasty 8-game FJ! losing streak with this one... I didn't think it was easy, but I was surprised it ended up being a TS.

Of course, there's the long, long history of J! contestants being weak in the sports categories, so there is that...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Phil had bet it all on the DD Andy might have won with $399.

Instaget FJ.
Golf

Post by Golf »

These wagers show the same preparation that the utility commission has shown here in Texas. :roll:
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Jeopardy Preempted in Houston, meaning 6 Straight Episodes that i haven't been able to watch on the TV. :(

Timely for Britney Spears to be mentioned.

I thought about writing Figure Skating but wrote Down Speed Skating. i was close at least.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:54 pm
AntmanB: How did you see Monday's game? It aired in Houston at a later time or different channel, or on one of the favorite online video sites?
I Watched Mondays(and every episode since last Wednesday) Through a Internet Video Site. you can probably guess which one. I didnt have power all day monday so i have no idea if the ep even Aired.
Last edited by AntmanB on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm These wagers show the same preparation that the utility commission has shown here in Texas. :roll:
Phil’s FJ bets in his first two games made today’s very predictable.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

If I had about 50 guesses, I may have gotten this. But probably not. I had no idea that "figure" went away.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Catholicism for $400 threw me for a loop. I said "diocese" since the Episcopal church uses them too, but can't say I've heard of an "archdiosese" before.

I had "Cracker ___" on Crack for $1,000 but somehow couldn't quite come up with Cracker Barrel. I blame 1.) having not eaten at one since well before COVID, and 2.) "philosophy" throwing me off the trail.

Can't say I've heard of either artist in Pop for $600.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania was a new fact to me.

On the other hand, I ran Mammals easily. Having two of them be mustelids was really tipping the scales in my favor.

Went too literal with "doctors" and couldn't pull "spin doctor" for my only miss in '80s talk. Doesn't help that if you say "Spin Doctors" around me, my brain immediately goes "One, two princes kneel before you..."

I had the same brain cramp that Andy did on trying to pull Katniss Everdeen's name.

0/5 in European History.

Precalled "golf balls" in Left Behind on the Moon and Super Size Me in Documentaries.

No guess on FJ! I don't think of figure skating as a sport.

Lach Trash: Sublime, sable, thirty-something Also got the La Crosse DD. I thought that was a very obscure town to ask for.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: rack, US Cities, Flagpole
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: LaCrosse DD, thirtysomething, Cartier, harp DD (thanks, Guinness! ;) )
FJ: instaget Figure Skating :mrgreen:
Milwaukee is on the Mississippi? :lol:
A shillelagh is a musical instrument? :P
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Similar to Mark, I got hung up with the idea that biathlon was sanitized to remove the gun-toting element, but couldn't think of any previous names for it. What about ski jumping, is there a new pretty name for it now - I don't think so. I paused after time ran out and thought about figure skating - I knew they don't do compulsories now, but I hadn't noticed that it isn't still called that.

I am going to miss Ken - he backfills misses, gets, and TS clues by dropping just enough knowledge to explain why it was an interesting clue. I don't expect that ability from Anderson Cooper or Aaron Rodgers, lol.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm These wagers show the same preparation that the utility commission has shown here in Texas. :roll:
Aaannnnddd right you are. Still a head=shaker to me that NO ONE seems to give wagering strategy even a passing thought before showing up to make an appearance on Our Show. If Phil bets just enough to beat a doubling bet by Natalie, he beats Andy $7,999 to $1,999. Except in the case of a well-wagered game he still would have lost to Natalie if she would ever realize she has no chance of winning on an all-in bet, so she must bet $800 or less to win on the TS. Deep Sigh. Of course Natalie is the same contestant who thought a shillelagh is an Irish musical instrument, so....

Of course she still gets to take home a buck more than the champ, but he gets to return to defend.

I remember the old days of figure skating, and hearing about the "compulsory figures" without ever getting to see them (or being forced to endure them) because everybody realized they were too boring to make good sports TV and the scoring too arcane even for figure skating, So this one came to me pretty quickly, unlike any number of FJs this season that have made me stand and stare.

Let's hope tomorrow's game is better.

Don't know about all of you, but we've got about 14 degrees and a crapload of snow on the ground in Cleveland, but as someone else has noted, that's way better than the situation in the south/southwest. My heart goes out to the folks in Texas, including any number of my relatives, whose government and power providers simply weren't ready for this incredible winter storm.

Stay warm, you guys.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I wish they had negged “Cracker Jacks,” but I knew they wouldn’t.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 pmIf Phil bets just enough to beat a doubling bet by Natalie, he beats Andy $7,999 to $1,999. Except in the case of a well-wagered game he still would have lost to Natalie if she would ever realize she has no chance of winning on an all-in bet, so she must bet $800 or less to win on the TS.
I wouldn't say she *must* bet $800 or less. Since her wagering range is so polarized, Phil has a lot more leeway to bet more than the $1 cover (assuming he stays above $1,999 of course).

Plus, since Phil is currently in second place, and betting it all is clearly in-correct, there's a better-than-50/50 chance that he'll do it anyway. I wouldn't fault her for any wager that leaves back at least $2,000.