Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Just 24 notes, this piece is nicknamed "Butterfield’s Lullaby" for the U.S. Army general who arranged it

Sam Stapleton: 17200-100=17100 (2x = $50,301)
Natalie Tyson: 5200+3201=8401
David Maybury: 8400+2001=10401

Correct response:
Spoiler
"Taps" (Sam - Love, Baby Don’t Hurt Me No More)

Daily Doubles
Sam: 600+1000
Sam: 11800+3000
David: 18400-10000

Coryats
Sam: 16000
Natalie: 5200
David: 18400

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sam: 6200
Natalie: 4000
David: 6400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnny: Here is the executive producer of Jeopardy!, Mike Richards.

Mike explained that he was hosting due to local restrictions keeping other guest hosts away and Ken having obligations for The Chase.

Mike did not use a "Thanks, Alex" in his closing and instead used Alex's words about "kinder and gentler society".

Mike's hosting sounded fine and his style was not Alex and not Ken. Mike seemed comfortable with the role and his previous hosting gigs of course help. The one odd thing I noticed was very slight hesitations before acknowledging correct responses. Was the host checking for thumbs up, a green light, confirming on his answer sheet, thinking which affirmation to use...

I've read and played on audio cassette the wonderful Jane Yolen (Caldecott winner) book many times and even with the half the title provided in the clue I completely understand why the $800 clue in THROWING THE BOOK AT YOU went TS. I would have valued it at a higher amount.

DD3 burned David and I knew the possibility was there as I've seen those kind of categories and clues enough over the years to learn that even with the correct response staring at you it can still be elusive.

I cannot imagine how haunting the game has been for David. Even after the DD miss Sam did not have a lock with just a few clues remaining. One more get and David stops the runaway.

And Sam just had to miss the FJ! clue to add the extra salt on the wound for David. I'm not sure that months is enough time to fully get past looking back at the game for David.

The FJ! clue was a no-doubter fast solve as I joined the challengers. I wonder if Sam could have figured it out in a different mind set of needing a get in a non-lock scenario? To me the Haddaway throwaway indicates a premature throwing in the towel with only $100 at risk.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Spoiler for FJ, view at own risk.
Spoiler
The brief mention pertaining directly to FJ is about a minute and a half in.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Watching an Ep on the TV DVR for the first time since February 9th.

Interesting that Mike in his opening spiel mentioned "The Chase" outright.

You can tell Mike was probably also somewhat coached by Alex as well, hes got a lot of the game sayings. He did fairly well actually, not as good as ken Though. Did ok in the Contestant Segment. While i could tell ken was a little Nervous Mike didn't seem that way at all as i could tell by that Quip in the first segment. He seems to read the clues quick enough.

Gutsy DD there by David that didn't Pay off.

No Clue on Final. IDK why id didn't even Think of Taps.

No "Thank you, alex" in teh closing but he did repeat what alex said at the beginning of his final week, which was cool.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am now 2-2 all time in a Jeopardy host’s first FJ. (Giving myself credit for the one in Alex’s first game. Missed Ken’s and Pat’s).

I spent a few seconds trying to figure out who General Butterfield was before remembering the right song.

I thought Mike did OK. He was a little too enthusiastic for my tastes but we’ll see how he does the next nine days. But I don’t see him as a candidate for the job full time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:50 pm I've read and played on audio cassette the wonderful Jane Yolen (Caldecott winner) book many times and even with the half the title provided in the clue I completely understand why the $800 clue in THROWING THE BOOK AT YOU went TS. I would have valued it at a higher amount.
Yeah, I thought that was way undervalued.

Instaget FJ.
brick

Post by brick »

I liked Mike quite a lot. More than Ken.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Sam did *just* enough to win a second game, as his FJ proved, but all respect to David. I think he figured he'd have an extra second to find the animal and it made the big wager worth it. That was tough to watch and there wasn't really time to recover, which I bet is why he didn't ring in on the final TS just to take a wild guess and maybe prevent the runaway. A rough finish after he was looking like a probable winner with four clues to go.

And that's why it's a great game.

Thought Mike Richards did well. Long-term, I am Team Ken for the next host. Happy for the FJ solve, too.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 pm Spoiler for FJ, view at own risk.
Spoiler
The brief mention pertaining directly to FJ is about a minute and a half in.
I never thought I'd see the day that a clip from the movie
Spoiler
Gettysburg
would be posted on Jboard. What a world.

Instaget final for me as you might guess.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Political Slang, Water We Doin', X-Words "T", "P" Science,
Daily Doubles: :D :D :(
trash: Po
FJ: Taps instaget :mrgreen:
Jeers to the contestants for running away from Pre-Columbian America. :P
Had Chicago Hope instead of Chicago Med. :x
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

That DD. Yikes!

FWIW, I also fell into the Watson trap. I haven’t seen enough episodes of House to pick up those details

Matched the woman on FJ with ?!?

Mike Richards did a fine job, but I’d tell him to dial it down a notch or six.

I resent the champ for dissing PRE COLUMBIAN AMERICA
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ. I’ve never seen Chicago Med nor have I read or even heard of Owl Moon but those clues totally gave you the correct response. Well, for most people.

I liked the energy of Mike Richards. He’s a pro. Much better than the previous guest occupant. Good game by Sam but I hope his prediction of a WS victory by SF is off. As did the A’s fan to his left.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

You could just see David deflate after the DD miss. How heartbreaking that had to be. I felt sorry for him...but that was a HUGE wager in a category that wasn't just knowledge-based.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,800
50 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Dr. Gregory House, "Strangers in the Night," gnu (DD)

I liked the cut of David's jib going gutsy on DD3, but the actual wager left something to be desired. The score at the time was 18400/15200/5200. A wager of $4,400 would have put him (at least temporarily) in a crush position, while it would have taken a wager of $12,000 to put him in a lock position. Instead, he went with $10,000, which was neither fish nor fowl.
morbeedo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm FWIW, I also fell into the Watson trap. I haven’t seen enough episodes of House to pick up those details
The whole show is a thinly veiled recasting of the Sherlock Holmes stories. House instead of Ho(l)mes, Wilson for Watson, an opioid addiction rather than an opium addiction, etc.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Anyone else reminded of "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies with the Burt Kaempfurt clue? :lol:

Tough break with DD3, I would have bet a lot more and luckily saw the hiding gnu right away. That's one that will sting.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I got FJ!, but couldn't help feeling some sympathy for the contestants. The first thing I'd want to do is count out the notes in Taps, and I assume they pipe the Think! music in during FJ!. I cheated, paused, and got 27, but figured I'd added some notes, and it was close enough. Googling it, I repeated the last note three extra times.

I guess Mike has a beef with our archivists, since he only counts 8244 episodes. I assume he subtracted Pat's episode....

More problems with my relying on circumlocation to finally get to responses, but I managed to get from "The Shop Around the Corner" to "You've Got Mail". At least I didn't have to go through "Parfumerie" or "She Loves Me".

Apparently I can't count to 8 fast enough for crossword clues - I thought "trinket" was 8. I don't know why I thought a talisman could also be used for evil or bad luck (ie the monkey paw from the Brady Bunch), but I guess it's for good luck, mainly.

Disgusting creamy condiment? I picked sour cream, and realize in hindsight I should have paid attention to the word "hold". Plus, they used the word "creamy"...it's not a stupid answer category. I'm 3/5 in agreeing with the hatred of items - hate bell peppers and wasabi, and anything more than a snack on a plane is silly. But wasabi's great, and I'll accept pineapple on pizza.
davey

Post by davey »

I never watched House and didn't know those details, but I knew the premise was that he was a diagnostician figuring diseases out, so that was enough for the clue...(Though I was lucky to recall the name...I blanked on the more current Good Doctor...)
I hesitated a few seconds on FJ, remembering Taps as a funeral piece, but then I realized it's more basically for end-of-day...
Richards is more ----- than Ken...you could say polished, you could say slick... :)