Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

CyrusChan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 am
SBurrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm You could just see David deflate after the DD miss. How heartbreaking that had to be. I felt sorry for him...but that was a HUGE wager in a category that wasn't just knowledge-based.
it should be an easy grab as it was picking out an animal in the text. 10k too much. 5k was a reasonable one, IMO
As has been said here before, on these type of clues look for the word that seems superfluous or somehow forced into the clue. In this case, the clue specified a magnum of champagne, not just a bottle.

I admit I spent a second or two looking for a rhino (or even a RINO, which could have been in Political Terms cat) but did find the key word.
OCSam
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 pm
I liked the cut of David's jib going gutsy on DD3, but the actual wager left something to be desired. The score at the time was 18400/15200/5200. A wager of $4,400 would have put him (at least temporarily) in a crush position, while it would have taken a wager of $12,000 to put him in a lock position. Instead, he went with $10,000, which was neither fish nor fowl.
I like the wager a lot the amount was just a bit high. His best wager was probably $8,700. He gets it and he is very likely in a crush position going into final. He misses it, and he likely is still in position to have a chance at winning going into final jeopardy, short of getting dominated on the last three clues. The problem is he got beat 2000 to zero on the last three, he should have given himself a little bit more room in case of a miss, and made Sam get all three remaining clues to have a runaway.

If he is going to go for 12,000, skip it and go 18,300, either win or lose it right there. $4,400 doesn't do what $8,700 would have done. Had he got it right at 4,400, he would have lost the crush, though in the end that wouldn't have mattered.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Still on Team Ken after watching this game. Similar to what Andy said -- Mike made this way too game-show-y and unserious. You can tell that Mike is way more of a reality TV producer rather than a fan of the game, which is what Ken was. The reverence that Ken had for Alex and for the show is just not something that anyone else will be able to hold a candle to, IMO.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

arjavrawal wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm Still on Team Ken after watching this game. Similar to what Andy said -- Mike made this way too game-show-y and unserious. You can tell that Mike is way more of a reality TV producer rather than a fan of the game, which is what Ken was. The reverence that Ken had for Alex and for the show is just not something that anyone else will be able to hold a candle to, IMO.
I find this interesting. Let's talk about Robbie Burns with a real irish accent or clues with imitations of Dracula or Richard Nixon. Trebek was anything but serious all the time. HE understood it was a game show and he was able to do it and still let you know that the game was still very important. Trebek was just unique. With regard to reverence. Ken was a great champ and I'm sure he had all the respect in the world for Alex Trebek. Go look at what Mike said on the first show after Trebeks death, and its clear as can be how he viewed man.

It was only one game, but Mike sounded more comfortable to me than Ken. Frankly, he seems more polished at what he was doing. If the choice is Mike or Ken. Put me down for Mike.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Sherm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 pm Let's talk about Robbie Burns with a real irish accent...
Scottish, m'boy, e's Scottish
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:39 pm
Sherm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 pm Let's talk about Robbie Burns with a real irish accent...
Maybe my interpretation of Trebek was Irish. :D

Point is still the same. Alex made it fun without losing the seriousness of the game. Whoever gets the job will likely never be viewed as being nearly as good.

You know, Fallon, Leno and Conan are all talented. I've seen some old Carson shows lately. They aren't close to him regarding what he did. He made that show not about him, and that is just so hard to do.
Last edited by Sherm on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:39 pm
Also, although pronounced "Robbie", it's generally rendered as "Rabbie".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ok, so I posted this just a few weeks ago.

Though apparently a male voice, the first speaker reminds me of the witches from Macbeth, while I could listen to the second speaker all day.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've seen Mike host before. He's pretty good. You can tell he's hosted game shows before and he seemed reasonably comfortable here.

Ran Celeb Chef and Animals Within Words, but was 0/5 in Political Slang. I clammed on "Grass roots" since I thought it was one word, but had no idea on the rest.

Was also 0/5 in Throwing the Book at You and Historic Seconds.

Instaget FJ!

Lach Trash: Dr. House, lion
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm
SBurrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm You could just see David deflate after the DD miss. How heartbreaking that had to be. I felt sorry for him...but that was a HUGE wager in a category that wasn't just knowledge-based.
it should be an easy grab as it was picking out an animal in the text. 10k too much. 5k was a reasonable one, IMO
As has been said here before, on these type of clues look for the word that seems superfluous or somehow forced into the clue. In this case, the clue specified a magnum of champagne, not just a bottle.

I admit I spent a second or two looking for a rhino (or even a RINO, which could have been in Political Terms cat) but did find the key word.
On these daily double clues, the clue disappears after the host is done reading or does it remain shown? If it disappears, then it may be hard to recollect what had just been seen and extract from it.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

^ IDK, CyrusChan
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He appeared to be staring at something while trying to figure out what animal they wanted.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

CyrusChan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm

On these daily double clues, the clue disappears after the host is done reading or does it remain shown? If it disappears, then it may be hard to recollect what had just been seen and extract from it.
I was in the audience a few years ago and I think I’m remembering it accurately but I’m not completely confident.

When they have a video clue the video plays on an off-camera screen to the left of the big screen and the text of the clue remains in the clue spot on the big board. So you can read the clue even when they’re playing the video.

I think daily doubles are the same thing.
I’m concerned that I’m remembering this wrong.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed White Men Can't Jump(Have heard of it. Couldn't tell you anything about it.), could have been any Elvis hit, and also missed Transplant.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Po, Jade, Chicago Med, House, Owl Moon, (Gnu), Lion
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bumping in case anyone wants to revisit the comments from Mike's first game, as for kicks I was curious to revisit the thread with August 2021 knowledge.