Thursday, February 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

I haven't studied African geography much since 1989, so...there's something for me to brush up on. We had to make brochures to attract people to visit a certain African country, and I got Ethiopia. (One poor kid got Libya.) So, I wound up doing basically a Peace Corps themed brochure focused on volunteering to help people through the aftereffects of the (then recent) famine.

South Sudan was my guess, but I knew its independence was much more recent...2011, in fact. But I couldn't think of "countries that didn't exist when I studied the map" all that easily.

For the "march to the beat of your own drum", is the drum part necessary? I just had "march to your own beat". But when I think of it, "the beat of a different drummer" seems a little more polished to me, so I think they'd be lax on that idiom.

I assume Mike Richards wouldn't have to confer with the judges to give me credit for "The Tube" for "The Underground", since I think he studied in England at some point....although to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I'd get the non-colloquial response in time if I'd been BMSed. I don't think there's a significant different, is there?

I had a disturbing flip-flop today - I found DJ! much easier than J!. Part of that was running the first 14 clues in DJ!. Like our current champ, 80s movies are my wheelhouse, although looking back, I can see how the category could be tough since it relied a lot on character names. I'm 4/5 for actually seeing the movies, with the only miss being The Natural, I think. And that's something I should probably rectify.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:22 pm I assume Mike Richards wouldn't have to confer with the judges to give me credit for "The Tube" for "The Underground", since I think he studied in England at some point....although to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I'd get the non-colloquial response in time if I'd been BMSed. I don't think there's a significant different, is there?
Except for the category being "Round" the World...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

35R. 1/4 on big clues. Wasn't a good day for me. I got Ethiopia right away no problem. I once had to look into how to ship freight to Ethiopia. It typically ships to Djibouti and then there's a train connecting Djibouti and Addis Ababa. I missed Peter the Great with Potemkin. I didn't know what an imperator was and I just recently I worked out the difference between Potemkin, Eugene Onegin, and Boris Godonuv. Reformer made me think of somebody who wasn't the czar. Didn't get The Big Chill. I think I tried to watch it once and couldn't get into it. Guessed A Fish Called Wanda because of Kevin Kline. Guessed Rosary instead of Votive. I like getting things right but I also like learning new things so it's all good either way.

Guessed Chicken Curry instead of Chicken Tikka Masala. I thought I read that Chicken Curry was made the national dish of somewhere and when I try to look it up I just get results for Chicken Tikka Masala. My favorite Indian restaurant has Chicken Curry and Chicken Tikka Masala as two separate items so I'm not counting that one. Now I'm nostalgic for buffets.

For the Ezra Pound clue the term "imagist" made me think of an artist or painter. How'd that one play for everybody else?
talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:22 pm For the "march to the beat of your own drum", is the drum part necessary? I just had "march to your own beat". But when I think of it, "the beat of a different drummer" seems a little more polished to me, so I think they'd be lax on that idiom.

I had a disturbing flip-flop today - I found DJ! much easier than J!. Part of that was running the first 14 clues in DJ!. Like our current champ, 80s movies are my wheelhouse, although looking back, I can see how the category could be tough since it relied a lot on character names. I'm 4/5 for actually seeing the movies, with the only miss being The Natural, I think. And that's something I should probably rectify.
I think there are a few variations of "march to the beat" that would be accepted. I've heard it several different ways. My experience with J! and DJ! was opposite of yours, I did disproportionately bad in DJ!. This makes me think of the all-star games but I can't think of a good joke.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pm NHO "ice cores". Poll request?
I said "core samples" but I'm sure that would have been good enough.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Aaron's chat time provided an interesting bit of trivia about the 'Pine Tar game" that I'd never heard before.
talkingaway wrote: Like our current champ, 80s movies are my wheelhouse, although looking back, I can see how the category could be tough since it relied a lot on character names. I'm 4/5 for actually seeing the movies, with the only miss being The Natural, I think. And that's something I should probably rectify.
Mystic Pizza was the only one I've never seen.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 pm For the Ezra Pound clue the term "imagist" made me think of an artist or painter. How'd that one play for everybody else?
My Pavlov for "Imagist" is Amy Lowell, but the clue said "he", so I just said Lowell hoping it was referring to another member of that prominent family.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:44 pm Aaron's chat time provided an interesting bit of trivia about the 'Pine Tar game" that I'd never heard before.
I didn't remember that, either. What I do remember, though (granted, after the Wikipedia entry triggered my memory) is that Don Mattingly played second base and he became the first left-handed player in the majors to play second since Sam McDowell did it in 1970 (was moved from pitcher to second in order to avoid facing Frank Howard).
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 pm For the Ezra Pound clue the term "imagist" made me think of an artist or painter. How'd that one play for everybody else?
My Pavlov for "Imagist" is Amy Lowell, but the clue said "he", so I just said Lowell hoping it was referring to another member of that prominent family.
The fact that Pound was committed to St Elizabeth's was more of a clue. He lived in Italy during WW2 and gave anti-Semitic, pro-Nazi radio talks for the Fascist government. After the war, he convinced the American authorities who arrested him for treason that he was crazy...

I think the FJ was a very good clue, allowing a way to get there through history as well as geography. But I fell short in both fields...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:22 pm I assume Mike Richards wouldn't have to confer with the judges to give me credit for "The Tube" for "The Underground", since I think he studied in England at some point....although to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I'd get the non-colloquial response in time if I'd been BMSed. I don't think there's a significant different, is there?
Except for the category being "Round" the World...
DOH! That's what happens when you're not calling the categories and staring at the category names.....
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another Sudanese misfire here.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:09 pm I said "core samples" but I'm sure that would have been good enough.
Should have been good enough. At worst, a BMS.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:10 pm
J! contestants are notoriously bad at African Geography.
THAT should make me a shoo-in to get The Call. I didn't recall at all what country was created or took land and a seacoast away from what other country. I thought about Sudan, but....

I hate clues like this (translation: clues I have no clue on....)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:09 pm I said "core samples" but I'm sure that would have been good enough.
Should have been good enough. At worst, a BMS.
"Ice cylinders" was in the clue, so I don't even think it would warrant a BMS.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:31 pm I lost the coin flip with Sudan.
Had the right coin, but my flip also came up wrong. Knew it was between Ethiopia and Eritrea, but couldn't remember which was bigger and which was coastal.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pm History for $400 could have been any weapon. I thought sword or spear made more sense as being "long".
Don't beat yourself up for this one. For those familiar, "longbow" is almost a Pavlov for "decisive weapon" + "Crecy" (or "Agincourt").

But there is a weapon called a "longsword" (usually spelled as one word), and spears can be differentiated as short spears or long spears. Spears and swords were both used in battles of the time, and both were present at Crecy. Either could have been a credible guess, and either would have been better than guessing nothing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:53 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 pm
The fact that Pound was committed to St Elizabeth's was more of a clue. He lived in Italy during WW2 and gave anti-Semitic, pro-Nazi radio talks for the Fascist government. After the war, he convinced the American authorities who arrested him for treason that he was crazy...
Oh wow. I always assumed Pound had legitimate psychosis. I like this take better

I love a poetry category bc it's easy money. No one got "lamb" when spotted wooly!? The Edsel clue felt like a cheat for the category. I got ahead of myself and said William Carlos Williams on the Pound clue. Sticking "Charge of the Light Brigade" in J!6 was the right move.

Oddly, I also negged with Spotlight. Maybe the Michaels confused the studio with the film? Incidentally this is the 4th Michael to appear on the show this season. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances of getting the call

Trash, trash everywhere!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Ethiopia was an Instaget for me as I’m pretty good with African geography and I’m planning on going to Ethiopia in June 2022. I was rooting for Aaron to win but not knowing geography hurts.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I played like a dumball all game but I got Final in an instant. Who knew that years of erasing Africa on sporcle would pay off?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pmNo guess on FJ! 110 million seemed way too big to be anything in Africa.
Too big, indeed.

This was another close game, but possibly anything related to African Geography spells big trouble.

5/10 (C)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Round Table, (Votive Candles), Roundup, Round Top, Distemper, Lamb, (Peter the Great), Ice Cores, Ezra Pound, Ballad of Reading Gaol
Douglas Squasoni