Dallas Auditions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Dallas Auditions

Post by Case »

I was up in Dallas on Tuesday, March 27 for the 11:30 am audition. I asked everyone waiting in the hallway (there were 17 of us) but no one admitted being from the board here, and in fact a bunch of people said they had no idea that discussion boards for Jeopardy even existed. I was disappointed, since I'd really hoped to meet some of you there.

Maggie was in fine form, accompanied by Corinne (did I spell that right?) and Kenny the tech guy. Maggie said that they were conducting simultaneous auditions in the northeast, so there is another team of people out right now. I didn't get the chance to ask her about the second registration/online test, and they didn't mention any sort of problems with the testing.

In the warm-up-the-crowd beginning segment, Maggie asked a trivia question and I was lucky enough to get picked, so I won a Wii version of Jeopardy! That made my day, aside from the simple joy of the audition. I was actually wriggling with excitement.

Let's see, you all know I can't say anything about the questions on the 50 question test, but I think they were far easier than the online tests. I'm pretty sure I was 45/50 on it, but you know how hard it can be to remember the questions. Everyone in the room chatted about the answers while they were grading the tests, and it looked like people did pretty well. I don't know if people would advertise that they DIDN'T do well, so maybe that's not a good indicator.

In our group there were 4 women and 13 men, and one of the men was actually scheduled for the 9 am audition. He asked if he could do the 11:30 one, and they said, "Not a problem!" I would have been twitching with anxiety and never dared try that, but I suppose nothing ventured, nothing gained. So, if we were supposed to be a neatly divided group of 18, that means two no-shows if you take out that late guy. This time I actually took little notes on the other people in the room, so if any of them appear on the show I can cheer them on with a sense of purpose. There were at least half a dozen people in their 50s or older, and about the same number of kids just out of college. It seems like there were 5 or 6 lawyers, too. Two guys were college professors, and there was a museum curator. Oh, and there were a librarian and a baker. At least one engineer, maybe two. The late guy was a former Navy pilot.

When Maggie and Corinne got back from looking over the test sheets, they called my name first, and Maggie remembered me from 2008 (she has an amazing memory). We played the game, then we chatted for a good five minutes, and Maggie asked me to say something in Old English. She is amazing, how she can draw people out and have them open up about themselves.

I tried to remember to be enthusiastic, speak big, and have fun. It really is a blast, and I feel very lucky to have been randomly selected to audition.

emtwo
Contributor

Re: Dallas Auditions

Post by emtwo »

Hey, waitaminute...! Was one of the college professors a UNT music professor (did he mention that he plays bassoon)?
I'm taking a woodwind methods class, and my instructor had mentioned that he'd landed an in-person audition in Dallas and asked me for some tips, but he didn't say when the date was. I got an email this morning saying class was canceled for "personal reasons"--I didn't question it because hey, sleeping in until 10:30 is fine by me. When I read your post I realized that he must have canceled class to go to the audition... sneaky sneaky!

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Corina.

I almost wish I hadn't gotten on the show already, because the auditions are so fun with so much less stress. Almost. ;)

diablo456

Post by diablo456 »

Great report!

I audition tomorrow (March 28) in Dallas at 9am. Great advice, hope to see you on the show!

Joe M. aka 456Diablo

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

diablo456 wrote:Great report!

I audition tomorrow (March 28) in Dallas at 9am. Great advice, hope to see you on the show!

Joe M. aka 456Diablo
Best of luck to you! Here's a suggestion: the test room is kind of hard to find, so give yourself time to get there. I wandered around for a good twenty minutes and asked twice before I managed to locate it (turns out it's across the hall from the fitness center). The first bank of elevators I tried were out of service, but there was another bank right around the corner. Also, the parking garage was PACKED and cost $15-20, but some of the others there said that a $4 lot is across the street from the park. I wish I had known about that!

If you have time, maybe you can ask about the second online test. I'm really curious now, but this morning I was just so focused on the audition that I couldn't find a good time to ask about it.

diablo456

Post by diablo456 »

Case, more great advice. Planning on going in at 7am to beat traffic, get oriented, then just get breakfast at the Sheraton. I'll ask about the 2nd online test while I'm at it.

Thanks again, great to have a bit of guidance for the logistics.

Joe M.

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

emtwo wrote:Hey, waitaminute...! Was one of the college professors a UNT music professor (did he mention that he plays bassoon)?
I'm taking a woodwind methods class, and my instructor had mentioned that he'd landed an in-person audition in Dallas and asked me for some tips, but he didn't say when the date was. I got an email this morning saying class was canceled for "personal reasons"--I didn't question it because hey, sleeping in until 10:30 is fine by me. When I read your post I realized that he must have canceled class to go to the audition... sneaky sneaky!
Confession time: I didn't think to take notes until the third group was up. Since I was in the first group, that means I don't know much about five of us. On the other hand, I definitely listened to a man talk about playing a variety of musical instruments, but at least four people talked about their musical talents, so maybe it got conflated there. Sorry. :oops: Still, I can very easily imagine that your prof was one of the first five that I missed. You can ask him if someone at his audition quoted Beowulf in Old English, and that'll be a definite giveaway! I'd like to know, too.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Glad the audition went well!

And, if it'll make you feel better, I was the first one called up to play the mock game as well. Maybe it's a good omen? (I figured it's random, but hey, use it to your advantage!)

diablo456

Post by diablo456 »

I just got out of the Wed 9 am audition. Went great. I, too, was the first person called up. After my mock game, the coordinator said I was a great example, to talk as enthusiastically and loudly as I had. She also said our first group of 3 had "set the bar very high".

I asked about the opening of the online test a second time this year, Maggie's answer was a technical glitch had prevented some folks from taking the first test and they decided to send out a second round. She said if we had gotten a second invitation to just ignore it, as we obviously were already made it to the audition.

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Joe, well done, well done! Did you have fun? What did you think of the questions on the 50 test? Without any specifics, of course, just your general impression. Did they give away the Wii game? What kind of turnout did you have in your session? Did you happen to notice anything about ages, professions, etc?

I hope anyone else from the Dallas audition can post here too. I love reading about their experiences.

Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

I was in the 3pm session yesterday. It was a good mix of people and a lot of fun. Had a total brainfreeze on one of the questions in the mock game, but still managed to spit out my absurd response quickly, loudly, and in the form of a question so I'm sure that was OK. :oops: Otherwise, I thought it went well.

diablo456

Post by diablo456 »

The audition was a blast, had a great time. I wasn't in anyway nervous or apprehensive. We had a total of 20 people in the audition. I found the 50 question test ridiculously easy, not even close to the 50-question online qualifying test. My rough guess on scoring was I got a 47 out of 50. The mock game was the best part, and I really tried to only start ringing in when the lights went out, and I spoke confidently and went straight to the next category when done. Even with a wrong answer, I said it with gusto.

I'd say about half of the applicants had to be reminded to speak more loudly, and about a third had issues with "phrase in a question" type stuff. Watching others, it was fairly clear who was comfortable and natural, and those that were nervous. My best advise, have fun, try to be natural, talk LOUD, and don't pause.

Best of luck to others in the audition process.

gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

If it's any comfort, I negged a couple of questions at my audition last year in Seattle, but still got on the show. I think it helps if they see you can keep your head in the game even after a miss. But after it happened to me, I was certain that I was done for, so it was a wonderful surprise to get the call.

Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

gloriaclemente wrote:If it's any comfort, I negged a couple of questions at my audition last year in Seattle, but still got on the show. I think it helps if they see you can keep your head in the game even after a miss. But after it happened to me, I was certain that I was done for, so it was a wonderful surprise to get the call.
My answer was so bad that I laughed at myself when the person next to me got it right...so hopefully that was OK! In any event, no reason to worry about it now. At least I was naturally loud.

Rahsputin
Contributor

Post by Rahsputin »

Just finished the Dallas 11:30 audition (the last one for this leg, apparently).
That really was a blast. Our group was pretty strong across the board--very few missed answers, everyone used the "question" phrasing, and I think there were only 3 "speak ups".
Good luck to all.

p.s. I need me some of whatever Maggie's eats for breakfast... Holy energy, Batman!

emilyspere1
Contributor

Post by emilyspere1 »

I was at the 3/29 (1130) audition. Don't have that much new to add. Agree the test was a breeze. Think I missed 4 or 5, tops. Not sure how I feel about my chances. My mock was decent-no better or worse than others. I have never had a problem projecting. Didn't hesitate or pause between clues. Rang in first a few times, missed one, got one right that Player 3 missed, and even got one that I had to give a second ("be more specific") answer to (said answer I pulled out of nowhere!) Felt my interview went okay, Maggie and I talked particulars about my job-showed she remembered me. She didn't ask about any of my "stories, " and I think I had good stories. I think the importance of our personal anecdotes is somewhat overrated. Met "treehuggincowgirl" from the jboard there. I think she definitely has a great chance to be on the show. I worried about my response to the "what would you do if you won a bunch of money?" question as I told them I would help out my best friend who has a serious weight problem and could really use a bariatric procedure of some sort, which he can't afford. I'm afraid it came across as "my friend needs an operation to save his life" type of situation, which sounds rather dubious. But he truly needs help beyond diets/exercise and I would do that for him. I'd also have to win Roger Craig or Joon Pahk money.

One theory I had held shot down. At my 2010 audition I felt I did very well on the test (like two errors). I was in the first mock trio. I asked the others in my mock how they did on the test, and they both felt they did very well. Made me think that the CC's called people up in order of their test scores. But at yesterday's audition I am sure I missed five, tops. Out of six mock game trios, I was in trio five. Now I could be wrong about my score (but I don't think so). It could be that 12 other people did outperform me on the test, in which case maybe they do call us up in a specific order, but I doubt that, too. Being in the first group didn't help me last time, so I don't think scores matter that much.

Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

emilyspere1 wrote:One theory I had held shot down. At my 2010 audition I felt I did very well on the test (like two errors). I was in the first mock trio. I asked the others in my mock how they did on the test, and they both felt they did very well. Made me think that the CC's called people up in order of their test scores. But at yesterday's audition I am sure I missed five, tops. Out of six mock game trios, I was in trio five. Now I could be wrong about my score (but I don't think so). It could be that 12 other people did outperform me on the test, in which case maybe they do call us up in a specific order, but I doubt that, too. Being in the first group didn't help me last time, so I don't think scores matter that much.
The contestant coordinators were specific about two of these points at a recent audition:

1- They say they care about test scores when it comes to choosing contestants for the show, and
2- They choose people for the mock game in the order that they have their forms in the pile. Basically, random based on where you were sitting.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Love the new profile pic, Mark!

slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Mark B wrote:
emilyspere1 wrote:One theory I had held shot down. At my 2010 audition I felt I did very well on the test (like two errors). I was in the first mock trio. I asked the others in my mock how they did on the test, and they both felt they did very well. Made me think that the CC's called people up in order of their test scores. But at yesterday's audition I am sure I missed five, tops. Out of six mock game trios, I was in trio five. Now I could be wrong about my score (but I don't think so). It could be that 12 other people did outperform me on the test, in which case maybe they do call us up in a specific order, but I doubt that, too. Being in the first group didn't help me last time, so I don't think scores matter that much.
The contestant coordinators were specific about two of these points at a recent audition:

1- They say they care about test scores when it comes to choosing contestants for the show, and
2- They choose people for the mock game in the order that they have their forms in the pile. Basically, random based on where you were sitting.

But we never definitively established (nor can we, in all likelihood) what they mean by "they care about test scores". Does it mean that higher is better? Or does it just mean that if you don't have a passing score, you're automatically out? We also have no real clue as to how they interpret test scores on the in-person test. Do they apply the same passing score (widely believed to be 35) as the online test or are they just trying to make sure you probably didn't cheat on the online test (i.e. if you got a 36 online and now slip to 33 in-person, that certainly does not suggest you cheated even though you're now below 35).

On a related point, I don't believe that people generally score dramatically better in-person than online. The in-person test might indeed be a bit easier, but I don't think it's as much easier than people claim, I think people's belief that it's easier stems from that inability to completely go over the questions as they can with the online test because of the availability of a transcript. One forgets some of the questions that one got wrong. I know I do.

Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

alietr wrote:Love the new profile pic, Mark!
Thanks. It's a sad little pile of pens, but it's mine.
slam wrote:But we never definitively established (nor can we, in all likelihood) what they mean by "they care about test scores". Does it mean that higher is better? Or does it just mean that if you don't have a passing score, you're automatically out? We also have no real clue as to how they interpret test scores on the in-person test. Do they apply the same passing score (widely believed to be 35) as the online test or are they just trying to make sure you probably didn't cheat on the online test (i.e. if you got a 36 online and now slip to 33 in-person, that certainly does not suggest you cheated even though you're now below 35).

On a related point, I don't believe that people generally score dramatically better in-person than online. The in-person test might indeed be a bit easier, but I don't think it's as much easier than people claim, I think people's belief that it's easier stems from that inability to completely go over the questions as they can with the online test because of the availability of a transcript. One forgets some of the questions that one got wrong. I know I do.
slam, I agree with you on both accounts. I have no idea what they mean by "we care about your scores on the test." I only know that's what they said. They could mean that they care that it matches your online test (honesty), that it be above a certain range (good enough a player), that it be high (they want great players), that it not be too high (sorry AP, no ringers), etc etc. Who knows for sure? They also could say they care about the scores, and not.

Re the in-person test, let me add that writing it on a sheet is easier. If an answer pops into your head 30 seconds later, as sometimes happens, you can quickly amend it, which you can't do electronically.